Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No Saver Awards, upgrade space, or discount coach in all markets after 5/21

Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

Looks like in the schedule update this weekend they set all inventory to have no A, U, W, or discount coach below Q. This appears to be all markets, all flights starting 5/21 to the end of schedule. They all look like this:

F7 D7 P7 I0 U0 A0 Y7 Z7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L0 V0 K0 G0 T0 R0 X7 N7 W0 E0

Whether it's a Sunday evening or some random Tuesday in October, every flight seems to be loaded the same. The most desirable and least desirable flights and times, same price.

I'm hoping this in an error and it's corrected at some point.

In the meantime if they're a market where Q space is tough to get, it's likely open at the moment.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
is that really atypical? holidays mean they probably have fewer RM forecasters/analysts working, and the next couple updates will see the lower fares trickle into inventory
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Isn’t AS trying to upgrade the ticketing system to allow origin-destination pricing? This might be related to that
Idaho Territory likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jrl767
is that really atypical?
Definitely atypical. They don't zero out all awards and upgrades 6+ months out typically.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Isn’t AS trying to upgrade the ticketing system to allow origin-destination pricing? This might be related to that
Yeah, this was mentioned in the last quarterly earnings call I believe. But they aren’t yet. You might be on to something that they will let Ticket-Skynet take over the rev buckets sometime early next year.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I noticed it yesterday as well. I was trying to tack a domestic AS segment onto an international partner award that I was booking. I checked every city pair on every single date right up to the end of the schedule in Nov. 2020 and nada. Not one single AS award segment in saver. To anywhere. I thought I was doing something wrong but it seems not. Hopefully I can add it on later.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:04 pm

Glad I used my expiring GGUs before this happened...
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I guess AS has found something to replace giving out cookies for the holiday season.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Is this going to be fixed before 12/31 or am I SOL for booking some trips with GGUs after 5/21??

Flights were live with these available a few days ago, ... Alaska
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by jonfran21
Is this going to be fixed before 12/31 or am I SOL for booking some trips with GGUs after 5/21??

Flights were live with these available a few days ago, ... Alaska
I would assume that it will not be fixed and that you're stuck with expiring GGUs that will expire. Tomorrow is Christmas eve - staffing levels across Alaska are going to be stretched thin as many people are traveling for the holidays, as Alaska continues to recover from a major baggage disruption in SEA this weekend, and as staff take time off to spend the holidays with families. Making sure you're able to use remaining GGUs in the last week of the year is pretty low on their priority list. You may get an agent to feel sympathetic and extend one or two, but I wouldn't count on it. Good lesson that if you see U availability, you should jump on it ASAP, as it's possible to disappear from others upgrading or an unforeseen issue like this happening within minutes, hours, or a few days.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I would assume that it will not be fixed and that you're stuck with expiring GGUs that will expire. Tomorrow is Christmas eve - staffing levels across Alaska are going to be stretched thin as many people are traveling for the holidays, as Alaska continues to recover from a major baggage disruption in SEA this weekend, and as staff take time off to spend the holidays with families.
By that logic they should not have applied a major batch of schedule changes until after the holidays.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Exactly 150 days from today. Definitely odd.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Looks like in the schedule update this weekend they set all inventory to have no A, U, W, or discount coach below Q. This appears to be all markets, all flights starting 5/21 to the end of schedule. They all look like this:

F7 D7 P7 I0 U0 A0 Y7 Z7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L0 V0 K0 G0 T0 R0 X7 N7 W0 E0

Whether it's a Sunday evening or some random Tuesday in October, every flight seems to be loaded the same. The most desirable and least desirable flights and times, same price.

I'm hoping this in an error and it's corrected at some point.

So this is why all of a sudden I can't book my HNL-SAN flight for under $750+ RT for 06/01 to 06/10 and just a couple weeks ago I seats were abundantly available (didn't have the "only X seats left" warning) for about $400 RT. I did the Preview Seats trick and it looks as empty as it did before. I am guessing this is a temporary thing then? Please tell me it is!
In the meantime if they're a market where Q space is tough to get, it's likely open at the moment
Yikes, so this is why my HNL-SAN RT for 06/01/2019 to 06/10/2019 is suddenly pricing at $750+ when just a couple weeks ago, seats were abundant at around $400+ RT. And I previewed the seats and the seats are as vacant as before. I really really hope that this is just a glitch or I am going to be so pissed at myself.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Gold
Looks like it's fixed. At least as far as awards are concerned.
channa likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Sunday I received an email about some schedule changes for travel in June. Wonder if they zeroed out that space as schedules were adjusted.

Last edited by williwaw; Dec 24, 2019 at 10:34 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.