Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by haddon90
FLL-SEA is 2,712
ORD-ANC is 2,846.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
I don't think so. Just looked up my Flight Memory and PDX-EWR was 5h24 for me. Granted that's with the jet stream, but I can't imagine the jet stream adding over 90 minutes.
I wouldn't dismiss the other poster's claim so quickly.

You're looking at it wrong. A 90 minute difference between an eastbound flight and its westbound return does not indicate a 90 minute "jet stream factor" (my term). Over simplifying:
The eastbound had a 45 minute reduction in time.
The westbound had a 45 minute gain in time.
Each flight had a "jet stream factor" of 45 mins

In the winter, the Jet Stream can blow really hard. A speed of 200mph is not unheard of.
Again over simplifying for discussion, let's say a given plane cruises at 550mph and today the Jet Stream is a steady 100mph
Flying eastbound, the pilot's airspeed indicator would read 550mph, but the plane's actual speed over the ground is 650.
If the pilot were then to turn completely around and fly westbound, the indicated airspeed would still be 550mph but the groundspeed would plummet to 450.
Same concept as above, but the 100mph wind provides a difference of 200mph. It adds up over a 5+ hour flight.
In reality, an eastbound flight will try to fly in the stream as much as possible (as well as all other eastbound flights wanting that path !!) while the westbound will want to avoid it. Either direction would most likely involve going out of the way of the shortest route so the Dispatcher (via Flight Planning software) has to carefully weigh all options.

Looking on alaskaair.com and today's (Dec20) PDX-EWR flights...
The eastbound's scheduled block time (gate to gate, though "air time" would be a better metric for this discussion) is scheduled as 5:17. The westbound is 6:20.
So we're already at 63 minutes difference in the schedule. A 90 minute difference on a "bad" day doesn't really seem that far fetched.
As for today's actuals:
Eastbound was 5:12. That's a 5 minute improvement on schedule
Westbound was 6:26. That's a 6 minute penalty from schedule.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yep; it’s all about the winds at altitude ... this was AS1765 BWI-SEA on Friday the 13th

scheduled block time is 5+55; actual was 5+41

great circle distance (base mileage) is 2335; as-flown mileage was 2446
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by steve64
I wouldn't dismiss the other poster's claim so quickly.

You're looking at it wrong. A 90 minute difference between an eastbound flight and its westbound return does not indicate a 90 minute "jet stream factor" (my term). Over simplifying:
The eastbound had a 45 minute reduction in time.
The westbound had a 45 minute gain in time.
Each flight had a "jet stream factor" of 45 mins

In the winter, the Jet Stream can blow really hard. A speed of 200mph is not unheard of.
Again over simplifying for discussion, let's say a given plane cruises at 550mph and today the Jet Stream is a steady 100mph
Flying eastbound, the pilot's airspeed indicator would read 550mph, but the plane's actual speed over the ground is 650.
If the pilot were then to turn completely around and fly westbound, the indicated airspeed would still be 550mph but the groundspeed would plummet to 450.
Same concept as above, but the 100mph wind provides a difference of 200mph. It adds up over a 5+ hour flight.
In reality, an eastbound flight will try to fly in the stream as much as possible (as well as all other eastbound flights wanting that path !!) while the westbound will want to avoid it. Either direction would most likely involve going out of the way of the shortest route so the Dispatcher (via Flight Planning software) has to carefully weigh all options.

Looking on alaskaair.com and today's (Dec20) PDX-EWR flights...
The eastbound's scheduled block time (gate to gate, though "air time" would be a better metric for this discussion) is scheduled as 5:17. The westbound is 6:20.
So we're already at 63 minutes difference in the schedule. A 90 minute difference on a "bad" day doesn't really seem that far fetched.
As for today's actuals:
Eastbound was 5:12. That's a 5 minute improvement on schedule
Westbound was 6:26. That's a 6 minute penalty from schedule.

OK, I'm going to be pedantic. A pilots airspeed indicator will never read 550 of anything. Firstly, we measure airspeed in knots and even then the airspeed on the airspeed indicator is Indicated Airspeed which will usually be about 250-270 at typical jet cruise altitudes. Then we take this speed and a computer corrects it to get True Airspeed, the speed of the airplane relative to the air around it. For jets this is typically in the 430-460 kts range. Multiply by 1.15 for mph of 494-529 mph. That is not displayed on the airspeed indicator however.

I agree that 90 minutes is easily doable because there is another factor you haven't mentioned. All airplanes have a Long Range Cruise speed at the limits of the range of the airplanes, flights are often planned at this speed. The problem is that it's quite a bit lower than typical cruise speeds. Since you are now going even slower into a headwind you are slowed down proportionally more. You still save gas though because the extra flight time is less than the gas saved by flying at the reduced speed.

On a flight I used to operate regularly, MKE-SEA was at the limits of the range of the airplane flying it at the time. The flights typical flight time westbound was about 4 hours give or take 10 mins. One day we spent 5 hours 17 mins plugging away at Long Range Cruise into the headwind. The only alternative was a fuel stop in SLC.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Raymoland
OK, I'm going to be pedantic. A pilots airspeed indicator will never read 550 of anything. Firstly, we measure airspeed in knots and even then the airspeed on the airspeed indicator is Indicated Airspeed which will usually be about 250-270 at typical jet cruise altitudes. Then we take this speed and a computer corrects it to get True Airspeed, the speed of the airplane relative to the air around it. For jets this is typically in the 430-460 kts range. Multiply by 1.15 for mph of 494-529 mph. That is not displayed on the airspeed indicator however.

I agree that 90 minutes is easily doable because there is another factor you haven't mentioned. All airplanes have a Long Range Cruise speed at the limits of the range of the airplanes, flights are often planned at this speed. The problem is that it's quite a bit lower than typical cruise speeds. Since you are now going even slower into a headwind you are slowed down proportionally more. You still save gas though because the extra flight time is less than the gas saved by flying at the reduced speed.

On a flight I used to operate regularly, MKE-SEA was at the limits of the range of the airplane flying it at the time. The flights typical flight time westbound was about 4 hours give or take 10 mins. One day we spent 5 hours 17 mins plugging away at Long Range Cruise into the headwind. The only alternative was a fuel stop in SLC.
Could a cross-country flight into a really bad jet stream cause a 737 (or similar) to need to stop for fuel? I guess another way of asking this question is how much extra fuel do these planes have? It seems flying 737s the distances they are today is a pretty new thing that years ago was not possible.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF WP
Wikipedia has a page for this exact question
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_flights
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I’m not a pilot, but I’m reasonably sure most if not all 738/739 can make most if not all westbound TCON routes, even with a full pax/cargo load, in most if not all weather/wind conditions ... anyone who has followed this forum over the past few years knows there are more than a few reports of westbound A320s having to make fuel stops

as far as “years ago was not possible” wrt 737s ... ~1996 I was booked on a Continental 737-300 EWR-SEA; even with half a dozen VDBs, they still had to make a refueling stop in MSP ... I wound up in F on a 757 that left two hours later and arrived at about the same time, with a $300 voucher
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
BOS-LAX feels like it's the longest for me. Blocked at 7h10m westbound, and in the winter, takes every bit as long. Sometimes an occasional bonus fuel stop, too! Although less of an issue now that it's 737 vs A320.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
My friend claims he flew direct ANC-MIA 10 years ago or so. I was fairly certain this route has never existed but he was adamant.
I'm splitting hairs a bit, but "direct" means same airplane and flight number, but it does make at least one enroute stop. So it's certainly possible that a flight operated ANC-SEA-MIA, although I can't remember that ever being flown under the same number, to my recollection.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that AS has never once flown ANCMIA on a nonstop basis, however.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
... I can tell you with absolute certainty that AS has never once flown ANCMIA on a nonstop basis, however.
not just AS ... to my knowledge, no passenger airline has ever had scheduled ANC<—>MIA service
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
My BOS-SFO on Monday was an even 7hrs on an A321neo. Offered plenty of time to sample the new wines launched in F that day

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...215Z/KBOS/KSFO

Last edited by mixmastermark; Dec 21, 2019 at 1:23 am Reason: neo
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by verbyournoun
I feel like ANC - HNL is up there. Is this the only nonstop between the two non-contiguous states?
Originally Posted by Repooc17
> 2,700 miles and should be the longest by distance.

ANC-KOA: 2,874 miles
ANC-ORD: 2,846 miles
ANC-OGG: 2,797 miles
ANC-HNL: 2,777 miles
LAX-SJO: 2,722 miles
BOS-SFO: 2,704 miles

Interesting that ANC-KOA is the longest! I did this flight within the last week, and it clocked in right around 6 hours. Very pleasant flight, with good lounge service prior to the flight, pre-departure beverages, pre-order recognition, and excellent service from the ANC based flight attendants. Time went by so quickly, I had no idea it was actually AS’s longest route distance-wise.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by Raymoland

E75 for the MKE to SEA run ? Had one trip on this run where stopped in SLC to refuel.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:12 am

It seems TPG also heard about our discussion here. https://thepointsguy.com/news/longes...lines-flights/
navydevildoc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.