Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Force complimentary upgrade to premium out of exit rows?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA

Alaska’s FAQ says
If you have a seat in an exit row when your upgrade window arrives, you will not be moved to Premium Class.
is there any way to override this? Obviously I want an exit row if I won’t get upgraded, but if an upgrade is available, I want to take it.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by lensovet
Alaska’s FAQ says

is there any way to override this? Obviously I want an exit row if I won’t get upgraded, but if an upgrade is available, I want to take it.
You can change seats manually when the upgrade window opens.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by twitch76
You can change seats manually when the upgrade window opens.
This.

And it won't upgrade to middle either which I appreciate.
sea_jeff, jjmadison, AS737 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Upgrade window has opened but it’s still offering premium for $99 on my flight. Having to constantly refresh the wait list/seat map to see if I got upgraded and then making sure I snag a seat before someone else gets pulled in sure makes this upgrade convenient.

Really wish there was a way to simply check a box that says “I will take any upgrade, don’t care about preserving my existing seat, thx”
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:11 am

Upgrade window has opened but it’s still offering premium for $99 on my flight. Having to constantly refresh the wait list/seat map to see if I got upgraded and then making sure I snag a seat before someone else gets pulled in sure makes this upgrade convenient.

Really wish there was a way to simply check a box that says “I will take any upgrade, don’t care about preserving my existing seat, thx”
Did anyone below you on the waitlist get upgraded into premium? If so, you can call AS and have them do it manually.

The exact same situation happened to me a month ago. After everyone except me on the waitlist got upgraded, it still charges $99 if I select a premium seat. The first AS rep told me to just wait because "the system hasn't gotten to me yet", and said there's no such thing as "exit row = no upgrade". When I called again, the second rep confirmed this policy and manually moved me into premium. But even after that, I still couldn't change seats because it would incur the $99 fee. She simply told me that I shouldn't select exit row seats if I want an upgrade - i.e. no way to accomplish what you're asking for.

Not sure why some people can just select PC seats automatically. Maybe it's an elite tier issue? I'm MVP, not sure if this's important.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

The irony is that if someone below me did get upgraded, it’s entirely possible they broke up the only remaining pair of seats together which means that the upgrade is now worthless since I want to travel together with my gf.

I saw the ancient thread with people complaining about getting upgraded out of the exit row. Thanks guys! A loud and vocal minority got what they wanted as usual.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

I saw the ancient thread with people complaining about getting upgraded out of the exit row. Thanks guys! A loud and vocal minority got what they wanted as usual.
you are very welcome.

(and I doubt that the majority would prefer to be upgraded from an aisle or window exit row into a middle Premium seat, but feel free to prove me wrong)
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ezak

Not sure why some people can just select PC seats automatically. Maybe it's an elite tier issue? I'm MVP, not sure if this's important.
Premium Class immediate upgrades for Elites at the time of booking depends on your Elite Status and fare purchased.

MVPG75K can select premium class on any non-Saver (X) fare,

MVPG can select premium class on all fare buckets K or higher.

MVP can select premium class on all fare buckets B or higher.

This includes refundable main cabin awards booked in Z. Also, for MVP, you can only upgrade yourself. If you have another MVP or non-status passenger on your PNR you won't be eligible for immediate upgrade based on fare class nor will they be waitlisted. MVPG+ can upgrade themselves and one companion.

James
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
you are very welcome.

(and I doubt that the majority would prefer to be upgraded from an aisle or window exit row into a middle Premium seat, but feel free to prove me wrong)
I don’t get this sentiment. Yes, I want everyone on the reservation to be upgraded together. Yes, going from aisle or window to middle isn’t great. But exit row? Meh. And how does this work on e.g. United? And wouldn’t it be great if you could at least get a notification when you become eligible, even if you aren’t moved immediately?

btw for this particular flight there are only 3 people on the waitlist, 2 of whom are us, and premium has over 10 empty seats including 5 sets of pairs. Wonder if we will just have to wait until we’re at the gate to get anything.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I don’t get this sentiment. Yes, I want everyone on the reservation to be upgraded together. Yes, going from aisle or window to middle isn’t great. But exit row? Meh. And how does this work on e.g. United? And wouldn’t it be great if you could at least get a notification when you become eligible, even if you aren’t moved immediately?
UA: Gold Elite and higher get to choose E+ at any time. I like that better, for selfish/obvious reasons. Silvers get to choose at T-24. No auto upgrade.

Notification: sure, but you can just set an alert in your calendar/todo app when you book the trip. Easy enough workaround. Why rely on AS IT when you can more reliably do it yourself? I don’t even get notified reliably of flight delays or schedule changes.

The problem with the checkbox you propose is that it is too simplistic to be generally useful. Real world rules are more complex, and everyone’s needs are somewhat different. For example, if I travel alone, I’d want to be upgraded out of exit row if I can get an aisle or window seat. Alas, perhaps not one of the ones reserved for disabled travelers. If I am traveling with my wife, I’d want to be upgraded if I could sit next or near her. Across the aisle would be okay. Maybe even two aisle seats in consecutive rows. Now add a third traveler to the scenario. Is it okay to upgrade two of the three? If so, which ones. How does it work with MVP+non-elite where the MVP can’t bring the non-elite into Premium?

What does "I want everyone on the reservation to be upgraded together" really mean to you? At the same time? Sitting next to each other?

I just checked in for a flight to Hawaii tomorrow. I’ve been tracking the seat assignments for a while. We are in exit row. There are only a scattered few premium seats left, among them one aisle. Nothing I’d prefer for us over exit row. I am glad AS didn’t ”upgrade” us into those.
bmvaughn and Flying for Fun like this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Dec 8, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The irony is that if someone below me did get upgraded, it’s entirely possible they broke up the only remaining pair of seats together which means that the upgrade is now worthless since I want to travel together with my gf.

You're welcome!
PABE and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:29 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I’ve also found it annoying that I cannot tell AS to upgrade me from an exit row, though honestly as a Gold with one free drink I often prefer the exit seats.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite

btw for this particular flight there are only 3 people on the waitlist, 2 of whom are us, and premium has over 10 empty seats including 5 sets of pairs. Wonder if we will just have to wait until we’re at the gate to get anything.
You could just call and ask.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Premium Class immediate upgrades for Elites at the time of booking depends on your Elite Status and fare purchased.

MVPG75K can select premium class on any non-Saver (X) fare,

MVPG can select premium class on all fare buckets K or higher.

MVP can select premium class on all fare buckets B or higher.

This includes refundable main cabin awards booked in Z. Also, for MVP, you can only upgrade yourself. If you have another MVP or non-status passenger on your PNR you won't be eligible for immediate upgrade based on fare class nor will they be waitlisted. MVPG+ can upgrade themselves and one companion.

James
Sorry I wasn't clear in my post. By "automatically" I was referring to post #2 , where people can select a PC seat for free after the upgrade window opens, even if they originally select an exit row seat. This didn't happen to me, as I had to call AS to be manually moved into PC, so I wondered if this is due to status.
lensovet likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Upgrade window has opened but it’s still offering premium for $99 on my flight.
Is this just in the seat map, or have you clicked through to the purchase page?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.