Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Force complimentary upgrade to premium out of exit rows?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Force complimentary upgrade to premium out of exit rows?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Is this just in the seat map, or have you clicked through to the purchase page?
That is a good point. I was going to mention that too.

James
ezak likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
There’s a zero percent chance I would choose a middle PC seat over an exit row aisle without knowing that the aisle and window occupants were really, really slim.
notquiteaff, ezak and Seattle123 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:18 am

Is this just in the seat map, or have you clicked through to the purchase page?
I did click through to the purchase page until it asked for a credit card number. Maybe it’s a one-time system error? I’ll try again next time - seems like y’all have been able to make it work.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ezak
I did click through to the purchase page until it asked for a credit card number. Maybe it’s a one-time system error? I’ll try again next time - seems like y’all have been able to make it work.
I have seen that before, and like you went to the purchase page, but not further. Pretty sure I mentioned it in another thread here a few months ago.

edit: more than once, according to my post here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30782309-post7.html
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I’ve had it happen a few times, it wants to charge when it shouldn’t but a call is all it takes. Seems to happen more when I try to upgrade earlier than T-36, because the window actually opens up day of your upgrade, not right at the T-time.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
I’m not sure what the point of an alert i set for myself is? The upgrades don’t always clear immediately. So I don’t need a notification to check 48 hours before (I already do that), I need a notification to know when an upgrade actually clears.

also, fun times: today my upgrades from non-exit-row seats cleared immediately at T-48 but the seats still weren’t changed. Luckily I was able to snag aisle/window before they disappeared.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by lensovet
I’m not sure what the point of an alert i set for myself is? The upgrades don’t always clear immediately. So I don’t need a notification to check 48 hours before (I already do that), I need a notification to know when an upgrade actually clears.

also, fun times: today my upgrades from non-exit-row seats cleared immediately at T-48 but the seats still weren’t changed. Luckily I was able to snag aisle/window before they disappeared.
The point of setting an alert is that premium "upgrades" don't work the same as First upgrades, and I think it's somewhat intentional. I find it rare that my main cabin seats "upgrade" into premium class at my upgrade window, even if PC seats are available. I think I've gotten automatically moved and an email about it once or twice. Most times, if I'm on a lower fare, I'll just grab one at T-72 hrs (MVPG here). I don't find the waitlist order is respected for these seats and don't particularly care. I'd rather just check on my own time vs being surprised about being in a window when I'd generally prefer an aisle, etc. Between the variety of IT issues AS has overall, including w/ upgrades to First being broken (a much more annoying issue), I'd say this is a fairly low priority for them to fix.
sea_jeff and DrAlex like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:23 am
Original Poster

So another day, another failed upgrade – we have exit row seats and there’s 4 pairs of seats together in premium. A few hours ago there were 6. Tried chatting an agent who said that I will need to call in to get the upgrade fee waived. It’s past midnight now so this will have to wait until the morning at which point hopefully those pairs of seats are still there!

yeah thanks but no thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
So another day, another failed upgrade – we have exit row seats and there’s 4 pairs of seats together in premium. A few hours ago there were 6. Tried chatting an agent who said that I will need to call in to get the upgrade fee waived. It’s past midnight now so this will have to wait until the morning at which point hopefully those pairs of seats are still there!

yeah thanks but no thanks.
You probably answered this already and I missed it -

what status are you and your companion?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

I ended up calling last night and the agent had a good idea regarding a potential bug in the upgrade system. We are both MVP. It is probably thinking that because we are “just” MVP, it doesn’t even bother noticing that we both are and thinks that we aren’t eligible for upgrades. Sucks because first is wide open on this flight but if they end up upgrading someone else in front of us before I can get an agent, those empty seats might be gone.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:50 am

I ended up calling last night and the agent had a good idea regarding a potential bug in the upgrade system. We are both MVP. It is probably thinking that because we are “just” MVP, it doesn’t even bother noticing that we both are and thinks that we aren’t eligible for upgrades. Sucks because first is wide open on this flight but if they end up upgrading someone else in front of us before I can get an agent, those empty seats might be gone.
If you're both MVP thus have your own individual benefits, what's the benefit in keeping on the same reservation instead of just booking two independent PNRs, or asking them to split the reservation for you? Are you on a companion fare or something (apologies if it's been stated above).
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Ahhh!! Yeah, that's been a longtime issue with First upgrades as well. If there's any companion, even another MVP, the system will skip over it.

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
If you're both MVP thus have your own individual benefits, what's the benefit in keeping on the same reservation instead of just booking two independent PNRs, or asking them to split the reservation for you? Are you on a companion fare or something (apologies if it's been stated above).
Protection together during IRROPs? There's linking reservations but that's just a note, more or less.
lensovet and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Ahhh!! Yeah, that's been a longtime issue with First upgrades as well. If there's any companion, even another MVP, the system will skip over it.

Protection together during IRROPs? There's linking reservations but that's just a note, more or less.
Oh ffs. Does Alaska know about this or plan to do anything about it? Primary reason to book together is convenience and getting PreCheck for my partner (who doesn’t have it but I do and she rarely travel travels by herself to justify it for her).
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Oh ffs. Does Alaska know about this or plan to do anything about it? Primary reason to book together is convenience and getting PreCheck for my partner (who doesn’t have it but I do and she rarely travel travels by herself to justify it for her).
You're going to have to decide what's more important, PreCheck for her without paying the $100 (or whatever- it's often free with the right credit card) or getting upgraded. Not being able to split parties on a PNR for things like upgrades without splitting the PNR isn't an unusual problem (IOW, you'd run into this on other airlines too). And since I can guess what you're going to ask or complain about next, upgrades are not processed at the same time for a party of two, they go one by one.

And you can't be upgraded with a companion because... wait for it... MVPs don't get companion upgrades. If one of you was a Gold, this won't be a problem.

You're an edge case (both MVPs, both traveling at the same time). The best solution is to be on separate PNRs and find a credit card that will pay for your SO's TSA Precheck.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The best solution is to be on separate PNRs and find a credit card that will pay for your SO's TSA Precheck.
Or one of you (sounds like you, since your companion only travels a few times a year) do some extra flying and get Gold so you can upgrade both of you. That'll probably cost more than the $0 w/ credit card benefit / $85 for Precheck/ $100 for Global Entry but would solve the issue as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.