Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan

Force complimentary upgrade to premium out of exit rows?

Force complimentary upgrade to premium out of exit rows?

Old Dec 8, 19, 11:59 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,382
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Is this just in the seat map, or have you clicked through to the purchase page?
That is a good point. I was going to mention that too.

James
ezak likes this.
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Dec 9, 19, 1:21 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Posts: 753
There’s a zero percent chance I would choose a middle PC seat over an exit row aisle without knowing that the aisle and window occupants were really, really slim.
notquiteaff, ezak and Seattle123 like this.
sea_jeff is offline  
Old Dec 9, 19, 2:18 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 452
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Is this just in the seat map, or have you clicked through to the purchase page?
I did click through to the purchase page until it asked for a credit card number. Maybe it’s a one-time system error? I’ll try again next time - seems like y’all have been able to make it work.
ezak is offline  
Old Dec 9, 19, 2:59 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 12,265
Originally Posted by ezak View Post
I did click through to the purchase page until it asked for a credit card number. Maybe it’s a one-time system error? I’ll try again next time - seems like y’all have been able to make it work.
I have seen that before, and like you went to the purchase page, but not further. Pretty sure I mentioned it in another thread here a few months ago.

edit: more than once, according to my post here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30782309-post7.html
notquiteaff is online now  
Old Dec 9, 19, 10:26 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Posts: 882
I’ve had it happen a few times, it wants to charge when it shouldn’t but a call is all it takes. Seems to happen more when I try to upgrade earlier than T-36, because the window actually opens up day of your upgrade, not right at the T-time.
Waitlisted is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 1:20 am
  #21  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: A3*G, AS MVP, UA, AA
Posts: 257
I’m not sure what the point of an alert i set for myself is? The upgrades don’t always clear immediately. So I don’t need a notification to check 48 hours before (I already do that), I need a notification to know when an upgrade actually clears.

also, fun times: today my upgrades from non-exit-row seats cleared immediately at T-48 but the seats still weren’t changed. Luckily I was able to snag aisle/window before they disappeared.
lensovet is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:11 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Posts: 1,367
Originally Posted by lensovet View Post
I’m not sure what the point of an alert i set for myself is? The upgrades don’t always clear immediately. So I don’t need a notification to check 48 hours before (I already do that), I need a notification to know when an upgrade actually clears.

also, fun times: today my upgrades from non-exit-row seats cleared immediately at T-48 but the seats still weren’t changed. Luckily I was able to snag aisle/window before they disappeared.
The point of setting an alert is that premium "upgrades" don't work the same as First upgrades, and I think it's somewhat intentional. I find it rare that my main cabin seats "upgrade" into premium class at my upgrade window, even if PC seats are available. I think I've gotten automatically moved and an email about it once or twice. Most times, if I'm on a lower fare, I'll just grab one at T-72 hrs (MVPG here). I don't find the waitlist order is respected for these seats and don't particularly care. I'd rather just check on my own time vs being surprised about being in a window when I'd generally prefer an aisle, etc. Between the variety of IT issues AS has overall, including w/ upgrades to First being broken (a much more annoying issue), I'd say this is a fairly low priority for them to fix.
sea_jeff and DrAlex like this.
be_rettSEA is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 2:23 am
  #23  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: A3*G, AS MVP, UA, AA
Posts: 257
So another day, another failed upgrade – we have exit row seats and there’s 4 pairs of seats together in premium. A few hours ago there were 6. Tried chatting an agent who said that I will need to call in to get the upgrade fee waived. It’s past midnight now so this will have to wait until the morning at which point hopefully those pairs of seats are still there!

yeah thanks but no thanks.
lensovet is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 9:44 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Posts: 749
Originally Posted by lensovet View Post
So another day, another failed upgrade – we have exit row seats and there’s 4 pairs of seats together in premium. A few hours ago there were 6. Tried chatting an agent who said that I will need to call in to get the upgrade fee waived. It’s past midnight now so this will have to wait until the morning at which point hopefully those pairs of seats are still there!

yeah thanks but no thanks.
You probably answered this already and I missed it -

what status are you and your companion?
twitch76 is online now  
Old Dec 13, 19, 12:42 pm
  #25  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: A3*G, AS MVP, UA, AA
Posts: 257
I ended up calling last night and the agent had a good idea regarding a potential bug in the upgrade system. We are both MVP. It is probably thinking that because we are “just” MVP, it doesn’t even bother noticing that we both are and thinks that we aren’t eligible for upgrades. Sucks because first is wide open on this flight but if they end up upgrading someone else in front of us before I can get an agent, those empty seats might be gone.
lensovet is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 12:50 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Posts: 1,367
Originally Posted by lensovet View Post
I ended up calling last night and the agent had a good idea regarding a potential bug in the upgrade system. We are both MVP. It is probably thinking that because we are “just” MVP, it doesn’t even bother noticing that we both are and thinks that we aren’t eligible for upgrades. Sucks because first is wide open on this flight but if they end up upgrading someone else in front of us before I can get an agent, those empty seats might be gone.
If you're both MVP thus have your own individual benefits, what's the benefit in keeping on the same reservation instead of just booking two independent PNRs, or asking them to split the reservation for you? Are you on a companion fare or something (apologies if it's been stated above).
be_rettSEA is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 1:45 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG
Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Posts: 5,326
Originally Posted by lensovet View Post
I ended up calling last night and the agent had a good idea regarding a potential bug in the upgrade system. We are both MVP. It is probably thinking that because we are “just” MVP, it doesn’t even bother noticing that we both are and thinks that we aren’t eligible for upgrades. Sucks because first is wide open on this flight but if they end up upgrading someone else in front of us before I can get an agent, those empty seats might be gone.
Ahhh!! Yeah, that's been a longtime issue with First upgrades as well. If there's any companion, even another MVP, the system will skip over it.

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
If you're both MVP thus have your own individual benefits, what's the benefit in keeping on the same reservation instead of just booking two independent PNRs, or asking them to split the reservation for you? Are you on a companion fare or something (apologies if it's been stated above).
Protection together during IRROPs? There's linking reservations but that's just a note, more or less.
lensovet and Eurynom0s like this.
rustykettel is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 2:21 pm
  #28  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: A3*G, AS MVP, UA, AA
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Ahhh!! Yeah, that's been a longtime issue with First upgrades as well. If there's any companion, even another MVP, the system will skip over it.



Protection together during IRROPs? There's linking reservations but that's just a note, more or less.
Oh ffs. Does Alaska know about this or plan to do anything about it? Primary reason to book together is convenience and getting PreCheck for my partner (who doesn’t have it but I do and she rarely travel travels by herself to justify it for her).
lensovet is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 3:46 pm
  #29  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 19,677
Originally Posted by lensovet View Post
Oh ffs. Does Alaska know about this or plan to do anything about it? Primary reason to book together is convenience and getting PreCheck for my partner (who doesn’t have it but I do and she rarely travel travels by herself to justify it for her).
You're going to have to decide what's more important, PreCheck for her without paying the $100 (or whatever- it's often free with the right credit card) or getting upgraded. Not being able to split parties on a PNR for things like upgrades without splitting the PNR isn't an unusual problem (IOW, you'd run into this on other airlines too). And since I can guess what you're going to ask or complain about next, upgrades are not processed at the same time for a party of two, they go one by one.

And you can't be upgraded with a companion because... wait for it... MVPs don't get companion upgrades. If one of you was a Gold, this won't be a problem.

You're an edge case (both MVPs, both traveling at the same time). The best solution is to be on separate PNRs and find a credit card that will pay for your SO's TSA Precheck.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 3:55 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Posts: 1,367
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
The best solution is to be on separate PNRs and find a credit card that will pay for your SO's TSA Precheck.
Or one of you (sounds like you, since your companion only travels a few times a year) do some extra flying and get Gold so you can upgrade both of you. That'll probably cost more than the $0 w/ credit card benefit / $85 for Precheck/ $100 for Global Entry but would solve the issue as well.
be_rettSEA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread