Wiki Posts
Search

Upfare and Change Fee

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Upfare and Change Fee

I've never had an issue with this in the past. But I called to upfare a pair of friends traveling on a companion fare to get them to a GGU eligible fare. I had to call twice to sort some details out. But interestingly both CSRs noted there was a change fee popping up that they were surprised by and were manually waiving because it was just an upfare. The second agent was laughing about charging a fee to accept more money. But just wanted to share that this might pop up for others, but the CSRs were all quick to take care of it. It was for a reservation with non-elites traveling and I am MVPG.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
AS's official policy has been any upfare, except to full fare F class, triggers a change fee. Usually phone agents have waived it, but it's definitely YMMV.
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:21 am

The system will try to charge the fee in this scenario, very normal. However, if you call reservations I have never seen agents not waive the fee if you are just trying to get an eligible fare to upgrade your flight.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Do you think these agents only operate the Gold line. Thus never see a change fee normally, resulting in there confusion even for an upfare. I’m assuming the OP called the gold line.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by williwaw
I've never had an issue with this in the past. But I called to upfare a pair of friends traveling on a companion fare to get them to a GGU eligible fare. I had to call twice to sort some details out. But interestingly both CSRs noted there was a change fee popping up that they were surprised by and were manually waiving because it was just an upfare. The second agent was laughing about charging a fee to accept more money. But just wanted to share that this might pop up for others, but the CSRs were all quick to take care of it. It was for a reservation with non-elites traveling and I am MVPG.
Was this within 24 hrs of the booking? My understanding is that a change fee would be expected if the booking is more than 24 hrs ago.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hbtr
Was this within 24 hrs of the booking? My understanding is that a change fee would be expected if the booking is more than 24 hrs ago.
No - it was two months later. I did call the Gold line too.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Question to AS via Twitter.

If an MVP would like to upfare to an eligible fare for immediate upgrade into available U space, would the change fee apply? I know MVPG+ have a fee waiver but I am not sure for a MVP who is only upfaring.

Thank you

Hi there! There wouldn't be a change fee if it's for the same flight you would only pay the difference in fare for the higher class of service -Rae

James
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the key here is **FOR THE SAME FLIGHT(S)**
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Question to AS via Twitter.

If an MVP would like to upfare to an eligible fare for immediate upgrade into available U space, would the change fee apply? I know MVPG+ have a fee waiver but I am not sure for a MVP who is only upfaring.

Thank you

Hi there! There wouldn't be a change fee if it's for the same flight you would only pay the difference in fare for the higher class of service -Rae

James
The friends I upfared were non-elite. Maybe that Is why the system was trying to impose the fee. I assume upfaring is far rarer for non-elites. Maybe just for GGU or the sudden need for CoS bonus miles.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: AKAir 75K, BestWestern PE
I have wondered about doing this also. Was the up-fare significant? I often buy months in advance and have pretty cheap tickets and low priority upgrade class tickets. I have never called to ask about buying up to Y, S, B, M, H or Z to up my chances of getting an upgrade. I have searched for the refundable coach but the cost is often more than I class.

As an example, I have a K class ticket. I want to try to upfare to H, so I get an instant upgrade at 120 hours. Can they do that and what has been your experience with costs?

Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by chillymac
I have wondered about doing this also. Was the up-fare significant? I often buy months in advance and have pretty cheap tickets and low priority upgrade class tickets. I have never called to ask about buying up to Y, S, B, M, H or Z to up my chances of getting an upgrade. I have searched for the refundable coach but the cost is often more than I class.

As an example, I have a K class ticket. I want to try to upfare to H, so I get an instant upgrade at 120 hours. Can they do that and what has been your experience with costs?

Thanks
You can do that but why would you? I would never upfare unless there was U space available, upfaring just to get a chance of future U space is a huge gamble.

As for your question on cost, it just depends. I have upfared for less than $100 but sometimes the upfare is more than buying an F seat. Just depends on the flight.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
As for your question on cost, it just depends. I have upfared for less than $100 but sometimes the upfare is more than buying an F seat. Just depends on the flight.
And unless on a coach only restriction, like the companion fare, may as well upfare into I or P, collect the CoS bonus, and lounge access (if flying through SEA/ANC/PDX/LAX and soon SFO).
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chillymac

Thanks
I agree with others here - unless there is U space upfaring just for the odds is a bad gamble. For my example the upfare cost was $150 but on a companion fare so essentially $75 to jump to F. I personally only upfare when U is open.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
for my last SEA-LAX I purchased at T-7 ... coach/PC was $216 (G?), upgradeable (no U available) was something like $368, and discounted F was around $349 ... iirc the seat map showed 6/16 available, and upgrade cleared at the window

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 10, 2019 at 11:20 am
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AKAir 75K, BestWestern PE
Thanks for the responses.

Here is my current scenario I was trying to figure out. I / better half are flying ANC - CUN next month on a companion ticket. I am currently in K fare.

I have had expert flyer alerts on this flight for months and no U space has opened up. There are between 6 and 9 open seats in F on most of the legs. My thinking was if I could upfare into a higher class ticket for a reasonable $ amount, its a gamble but more of an educated gamble. There is a chance with that many open F seats they might open up U space and if I am already in an instant upgrade class I will get the U space as it opens. Based on what feedback I have gotten it sounds like I should just keep waiting for U space to open and then do it.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.