Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What are downsides to using AS miles for American Airlines flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are downsides to using AS miles for American Airlines flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:03 pm

save the $13 fee by starting w/ a cheap AS award like LAX-SFO. then, within 24 hours, free change the award to AA.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
save the $13 fee by starting w/ a cheap AS award like LAX-SFO. then, within 24 hours, free change the award to AA.
Are you saying AS doesn't reprice an award when changed online? Not my experience! If that were the case, why not just choose an F award for free? I can show you two credit card charges for 12 cents each for changes done online. On another change with an agent, she wasn't able to waive the 10 cent difference so I charged that too.

James
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by ashill
Which is of course only relevant if you can actually get that value. I certainly wouldn't redeem 12.5k (or 20k) miles for a $99 ticket, but that's always an individual decision. These days with AS miles, I'm afraid I'm willing to redeem at $0.015 or even a bit less, as I've been very unsuccessful in using AS (or any other) miles for flights I actually want to take. But I wouldn't go close to burning at $0.006/mile.
Obviously it depends on why you're hoarding miles and your travel habits.

I don't often use miles to book domestically unless I want to have the flexibility of effectively making it a refundable ticket for a friend or family member. but at $99 I'd just roll the dice on it getting used. If someone is never in the market for international F (and it can be hard to find at times that meet their needs) then yeah, they're never going to maximize the miles.

But even if OP has miles coming out the ears... I'd rather donate them to Make a Wish or something than burn them at such a low rate.

Also I just dont get the point of this thread.

On AS you're going to get the perks related to your status. Service could be above average, or below, as always.
On AA you're going to be treated like a random Joe off the street with zero perks. Service could be above average, or below, as always.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Wow. So many replies on the comparative value of the cash flight. That was not the question. I should have left that information out.

A flight from PHL is over $300 . If you want to compare, the AA flight is 12K+19 Main or 25K+19 for what AS shows as F. Or the AS flight is 20K. Yeah that's not the question either. Pay no attention to those details and don't reply to these details. Try, try, not to reply to these irrelevant details.

To spell it out (again), the point of the thread was to understand the differences between choosing the cheaper MILES flight on AA.

I've listed the differences. Thanks for those who have added info regarding what to expect when seeing such a choice on the AS website.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Wow. So many replies on the comparative value of the cash flight. That was not the question. I should have left that information out.

A flight from PHL is over $300 . If you want to compare, the AA flight is 12K+19 Main or 25K+19 for what AS shows as F. Or the AS flight is 20K. Yeah that's not the question either. Pay no attention to those details and don't reply to these details. Try, try, not to reply to these irrelevant details.

To spell it out (again), the point of the thread was to understand the differences between choosing the cheaper MILES flight on AA.

I've listed the differences. Thanks for those who have added info regarding what to expect when seeing such a choice on the AS website.
Because you'd have to be either living paycheck to paycheck or quite the fool to choose either award option with the $99 cash alternative.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Is this for before or after March 1st. If its after the redemption part of the partnership ends expect problems with any changes voluntary or not.
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by CDKing
Is this for before or after March 1st. If its after the redemption part of the partnership ends expect problems with any changes voluntary or not.
Yes, when I noticed the disparity in points, I was shopping for travel to take place after Mar 1st. Interesting, I agree the ending of the redemption partnership is something that someone comparing points redemption should keep in mind (if they weren't so cash strapped or foolish/dumb not to just buy the $99 one way instead )

Last edited by PaperGlider; Dec 5, 2019 at 8:35 am Reason: added something and parenthetical statement.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
So far, on AA instead of AS:
1. -No upgrade possibility.
2. ?Free luggage is AS allowance or AA allowance? Not sure.
3. ?Boarding is in what AA group? Not sure.
4. -Salty Flight Attendants.
5. +Bischoff
6. +Many alternate routes on AA if irregular operations.
7. +Guaranteed AA First with just 25K miles (and presumably the AA F lounge)
8. + smaller plane on AA so fewer people.
9. ?

I think a chart would be better way to portray this but for now a list is easy.
"salty" FA's are a subjective comment. I've flown AA four times in the past couple of weeks -- no mechanical delays, clean planes, courteous FA's, every flight arrived at least 10 minutes early.

And the A321T is not a "smaller airplane" -- it is a big airplane by AS standards. AA choose to configure it in a premium-heavy configuration -- so it has fewer seats..
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

Why is the price from PHL relevant? You said you're flying to JFK.

If you purchase a ticket on AA, you fly on AA and are subject to the AA experience and AA rules and fee waivers (though on an AS ticket with AS change policies). If you purchase a ticket on AS, you fly AS and are subject to the AS experience and AS rules and fee waivers. The costs in mileage and cash are as you laid out.
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Are you saying AS doesn't reprice an award when changed online? Not my experience! If that were the case, why not just choose an F award for free? I can show you two credit card charges for 12 cents each for changes done online. On another change with an agent, she wasn't able to waive the 10 cent difference so I charged that too.

James
needlessly paying a $12.50 partner award fee feels appropriate for those with reading comprehension challenges
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
Why is the price from PHL relevant? You said you're flying to JFK.

Dear ashill, I did NOT and am NOT asking for advice as to which flight to pick and whether to use miles or dollars. I do agree with your general characterization summation regarding the difference between the benefits of flying on AS as compared to AA.

Last edited by PaperGlider; Dec 5, 2019 at 12:04 pm Reason: lowercase
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
needlessly paying a $12.50 partner award fee feels appropriate for those with reading comprehension challenges
I concur, you didn't answer my question! Did you have difficulty comprehending it? The partner fee is $12.50, how do you save $13.00 as you stated?

Cheers
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You're overthinking this decision: you're asking for information that literally cannot be given to you without making the ticket purchase (AA boarding group depends on your seat selection, which can't happen until you redeem), and you're trying to account for things that are highly subjective impressions (FA mood).

To be honest, most, if not all of your questions could be answered on alaskaair.com or aa.com with personal research if you don't want the FT crowd pointing out you're basically asking the equivalent of "is a steel mallet or a rock better for hitting myself in the head? STOP TELLING ME NOT TO HIT MYSELF IN THE HEAD KTHXBYE".
PVDtoDEL and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I concur, you didn't answer my question! Did you have difficulty comprehending it? The partner fee is $12.50, how do you save $13.00 as you stated?

Cheers
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
[Mod note]

If there's one thing FTers are good at, it's pedantry. But snarky pedantry is a bit off-putting. Can we please try to keep things respectful and civil to everyone here, regardless of our perceptions of their understanding? Thanks.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines forum
cblaisd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.