Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Does AS ever discount premium class seats on day of travel?

Does AS ever discount premium class seats on day of travel?

Old Nov 22, 19, 11:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Programs: United, SPG, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 23
Does AS ever discount premium class seats on day of travel?

I am taking a flight next week on AS to Hawaii. Does AS ever discount the fee for selecting premium seats on the trip date (or closer to trip date)?

I looked at the seat map and at the moment, there are lots of premium seats available for selection. The current price is $79/seat, which is a little more than I want to spend.
climbingbear is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 11:26 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,003
Nope. $79 is already pretty low considering BOS-SAN for example is $119
CDKing is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 11:41 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Between BLI & PAE.
Programs: AS MVP Gold, One Pass, SPG, Marriot Rewards,Sky Miles, AMEX Miles
Posts: 1,238
I have never seen a discount offering for Premium Class. However, a friend of mine travels on his Motherís passes (she retired with a lifetime freebie) and he has flown as a standby passenger and been seated in PC despite not having status.
JPat is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 11:54 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 732
Originally Posted by climbingbear View Post
I am taking a flight next week on AS to Hawaii. Does AS ever discount the fee for selecting premium seats on the trip date (or closer to trip date)?

I looked at the seat map and at the moment, there are lots of premium seats available for selection. The current price is $79/seat, which is a little more than I want to spend.
Flying enough to earn MVP, Gold or 75K status will get you free premium class seating at T-48 hrs, T-72 hrs, at booking (respectively). Probably will cost you more than $79 to earn those, but that's another way to get it "discounted".
be_rettSEA is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 12:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 8,468
As a Gold I have this year been on several flights where the only choice for me was a middle PC seat. One of the reasons why I decided that I wouldnít spend a lot of money renewing Gold (instead burned more miles on award travel). I think I spent more time in exit row than in PC.

So if they do have open PC seats at T-24, why would they not try to sell them at a discount, especially if the alternative might be to give them to Basic Economy passengers who donít have seat assignments? Perhaps to avoid pissing off (*) passengers who paid more? Or technical limitations?

(*) I assume language used in congressional testimony is acceptable here; if not, apologies and mods, please edit
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 1:06 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,421
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
So if they do have open PC seats at T-24, why would they not try to sell them at a discount, especially if the alternative might be to give them to Basic Economy passengers who donít have seat assignments? Perhaps to avoid pissing off (*) passengers who paid more? Or technical limitations?
Because if people know that they'll likely be discounted at check-in or some time close to departure, many more people will wait and gamble on being able to snag the seats at a discount.
be_rettSEA and Often1 like this.
chrisl137 is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 1:48 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 8,468
Originally Posted by chrisl137 View Post
Because if people know that they'll likely be discounted at check-in or some time close to departure, many more people will wait and gamble on being able to snag the seats at a discount.
That hasn't stopped airlines from selling first class upgrades at discounted prices, IME.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Nov 22, 19, 2:14 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,421
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
That hasn't stopped airlines from selling first class upgrades at discounted prices, IME.
The pricing isn't always predictable, and often gets more expensive as you get closer to departure. As an example, this week I had the chance to buy an F upgrade on UA for about $310 shortly after it was booked (about 6 days out). A few days later it was up to $700, and by the day of the flight it was $2300. UA does similar, though less extreme, pricing with E+ - it generally seems to go up by $10-30 between when the ticket is purchased and the day of the flight.

Pricing for premium and F upgrades is probably more likely to drop if load factors are low, but lately I've mostly seen them going up rather than down as you get close to flight. In principle, AS sells F upgrades cheaply at the gate, but I haven't seen that in a long time, since load factors seem to be high and there are enough elites to take all the U space with free upgrades.
chrisl137 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 3:31 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Seattle
Programs: Alaska airlines 75K
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
As a Gold I have this year been on several flights where the only choice for me was a middle PC seat. One of the reasons why I decided that I wouldnít spend a lot of money renewing Gold (instead burned more miles on award travel). I think I spent more time in exit row than in PC.

So if they do have open PC seats at T-24, why would they not try to sell them at a discount, especially if the alternative might be to give them to Basic Economy passengers who donít have seat assignments? Perhaps to avoid pissing off (*) passengers who paid more? Or technical limitations?

(*) I assume language used in congressional testimony is acceptable here; if not, apologies and mods, please edit

Would they fill a PC middle seat before having all standard middle seats filled? I like having a middle seat open between in PC occasionally which is nice. .
Xrayman is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 4:13 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 8,468
Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
Would they fill a PC middle seat before having all standard middle seats filled? I like having a middle seat open between in PC occasionally which is nice. .
hopefully not.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Nov 23, 19, 4:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,421
Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
Would they fill a PC middle seat before having all standard middle seats filled? I like having a middle seat open between in PC occasionally which is nice. .
Two ways to improve your chances on that are a) exit row, because they don't seem to autofill (you have to accept the requirements online when you book them) and b) pick your window or aisle near the back of PC. If/when they start autofilling PC middles it will probably be front to back. But they shouldn't start filling PC middles with non-paying PC until all the non-PC middles are full.
Xrayman and jjmadison like this.
chrisl137 is offline  
Old Nov 24, 19, 10:44 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Programs: Gold 75 Alaska, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, UA Silver
Posts: 203
I recently saw a strange change on an Alaska flight. Originally, the exit rows were listed for a premium; however, a week or so before the flight, the seats were available as regular economy and stayed that way thru flight date. I am a 75K, so I am often checking seat availability on the maps (especially for possible upgrades to first class). This is the first time I've noticed the seats changing from preferential to regular economy.
cocobird is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 12:12 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 7,393
Originally Posted by cocobird View Post
I recently saw a strange change on an Alaska flight. Originally, the exit rows were listed for a premium; however, a week or so before the flight, the seats were available as regular economy and stayed that way thru flight date. I am a 75K, so I am often checking seat availability on the maps (especially for possible upgrades to first class). This is the first time I've noticed the seats changing from preferential to regular economy.
Sounds like an equipment swap.
PVDtoDEL is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 10:30 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Programs: Gold 75 Alaska, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, UA Silver
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
Sounds like an equipment swap.
While I've had that happen with increasing frequency, in this case there wasn't a swap, which is what surprised me. Also, has it been your experience with equipment swaps that the exit rows become free to anyone? I've only seen it go from premium to preferred in the past.
cocobird is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 10:34 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 13,430
Originally Posted by cocobird View Post
... in this case there wasn't a swap ...
A320 to A320 isn't a change of gauge, but the assigned aircraft went from a legacy VX configuration (8F, 18 PC rows 3/16/17) to one with a modified interior (12F, 24 PC rows 6-9)
jrl767 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread