FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS offering to “sell” me Gold status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1996309-offering-sell-me-gold-status.html)

ItsAnAdam Nov 21, 2019 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s (Post 31762865)
Other people have said phone reps have done it for them, and worst case they just say no. There's really no risk other than potentially having wasted a few minutes on the phone.

OK so called in (thanks for the tip guys!) and after the customer care lady went and talked to her supervisor she said they can, but that they only give one "bump up" per lifetime so I decided to save it. She also implied I could use this one lifetime "bump up" even if I am not on track to hit status, and she gave the specific example of being 500 miles away so I just said thanks but no.

pcoll Nov 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA (Post 31759598)
2 BUR/PDX (or SEA) R/Ts would put you over too, and likely be significantly less $$ than their offer, while not nearly as hellish as dealing with LAX.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I agree that BUR is more doable than LAX, right now. What I should have specified is that the miles I need to fly would be partner miles, not AS miles. Doing a quick day trip to SEA or PDX in F, would totally be on my radar, if that would work.
Did consider a flight to east coast on a partner but, not sure that can happen this year. Still considering purchasing the status and making sure partner and I are always on same PNR. Getting 2 U to open up will be the thing that makes this not so valuable. Although, The EQM’s for Gold would be sweet and another factor.
One question, would I be able to receive 50,000 mile bonus for Gold if I do the “buy up?”

be_rettSEA Nov 21, 2019 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll (Post 31763991)
Thanks for all your suggestions. I agree that BUR is more doable than LAX, right now. What I should have specified is that the miles I need to fly would be partner miles, not AS miles. Doing a quick day trip to SEA or PDX in F, would totally be on my radar, if that would work.
Did consider a flight to east coast on a partner but, not sure that can happen this year. Still considering purchasing the status and making sure partner and I are always on same PNR. Getting 2 U to open up will be the thing that makes this not so valuable. Although, The EQM’s for Gold would be sweet and another factor.
One question, would I be able to receive 50,000 mile bonus for Gold if I do the “buy up?”

Either I’m confused or maybe you are with reading your status tracker. You need to hit *either* 40k miles on AS or 50k miles on AS or partners to hit gold - not both. So if you’ve hit 40k AS, you don’t need to hit partner threshold. And if you’re 3k short of the 50k partner threshold, AS flights would also get you there.

The 50k bonus miles are a perk of hitting 75K status, not just basic Gold (75K requires flying 75K on AS or 90K on AS + partners). That perk is not available to those who take the buy-up offer, as I understand it.

jrl767 Nov 21, 2019 9:14 pm

... What I should have specified is that the miles I need to fly would be partner miles, not AS miles. Doing a quick day trip to SEA or PDX in F, would totally be on my radar, if that would work.

the 50K partner threshold includes any AS miles; if you’re at 47k (with 36k on AS), 3k on either AS or partner would suffice

the 50k RDM (redeemable miles) bonus is for making 75K, not MVPG

(edit to add) I see be_rettSEA responded while I was composing my reply ;)

pcoll Nov 22, 2019 10:15 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA (Post 31764205)
Either I’m confused or maybe you are with reading your status tracker. You need to hit *either* 40k miles on AS or 50k miles on AS or partners to hit gold - not both. So if you’ve hit 40k AS, you don’t need to hit partner threshold. And if you’re 3k short of the 50k partner threshold, AS flights would also get you there.
The 50k bonus miles are a perk of hitting 75K status, not just basic Gold (75K requires flying 75K on AS or 90K on AS + partners). That perk is not available to those who take the buy-up offer, as I understand it.

Thank you for clearing up my confusion. In my research, saw the mile bonus for AS Gold and missed the 75K part of the equation.
WE have always been MVP and had not thought we would fly more than that. This year, international flights resulted in the partner miles posted. Now , for the first time looking at possible Gold status.
I have 21,214 AS miles and 47,035 AS/PARTNER miles. So, to get to 50,000 for AS/Partner miles, would I need to fly partner metal or would the day trip BUR/SEA RT in F work as well? ( i know from experience SEA/LAX in F is about 3,600 miles with COS bonus.)

be_rettSEA Nov 22, 2019 10:25 am

Originally Posted by pcoll (Post 31765979)
Thank you for clearing up my confusion. In my research, saw the mile bonus for AS Gold and missed the 75K part of the equation.
Perhaps I am over thinking this...
I have 21,214 AS miles and 47,035 AS/PARTNER miles. So, to get to 50,000 for AS/Partner miles, would I need to fly partner metal or would the day trip BUR/SEA RT in F work as well?

Either AS or partner miles count toward the 50k threshold. A BUR/SEA round trip in paid F (F/P/I fares) would get you there w/ the CoS bonus. A single round trip in upgraded F (or main cabin) would leave you short, but 2 round trips in main cabin would do it and may end up being cheaper than a single paid F round trip, if money's a bigger factor than time for you. If you can find a workable travel date at a reasonable fare, I'd say definitely worth it to get Gold benefits.

chrisl137 Nov 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll (Post 31765979)
( i know from experience SEA/LAX in F is about 3,600 miles with COS bonus.)

BUR-SEA base miles are 937 each way, and with the F bonus would be 1639 (probably rounding up to 1640) each way, to net you 3280 RT.

And as be_rettSEA points out, it's possible (if not likely) that flying two round trips will be less expensive than flying it in F. The F seats can be expensive.

ETA: looks like you can do it in F on Dec 7 for around $700. The price of two round trips in main the same day would be about the same (looks like you'd probably be on the same plane for all four flights, so no worry about missing flights), and it would be a little cheaper in BE.

jrl767 Nov 22, 2019 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA (Post 31766010)
Either AS or partner miles count toward the 50k threshold. A BUR/SEA round trip in paid F (F/P/I fares) would get you there w/ the CoS bonus. A single round trip in upgraded F (or main cabin) would leave you short, but 2 round trips in main cabin would do it and may end up being cheaper than a single paid F round trip, if money's a bigger factor than time for you. If you can find a workable travel date at a reasonable fare, I'd say definitely worth it to get Gold benefits.

Tue/Wed (10/11 Dec and 17/18 Dec) all four BUR-SEA flights are $329 each way in F ($109-$136 in coach), multiple LAX-SEA flights are available at $239 each way in F ($84-$119 in coach)

jrl767 Nov 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137 (Post 31766425)
...The price of two round trips in main the same day would be about the same (looks like you'd probably be on the same plane for all four flights, so no worry about missing flights), and it would be a little cheaper in BE.

there is **absolutely** no guarantee that BUR-SEA will turn back to SEA-BUR, although the turn at BUR will likely use the same jet

FiveMileFinal Nov 23, 2019 6:03 pm

I'm 4700 miles short of Gold and got the email last week. They wanted $799 or 80K miles. I laughed.

I might do an overnight PDX-east coast turn here to lock that up. Way less than what they want for that, even right after Thanksgiving.

diver858 Nov 23, 2019 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal (Post 31770149)
I'm 4700 miles short of Gold and got the email last week. They wanted $799 or 80K miles. I laughed.

I might do an overnight PDX-east coast turn here to lock that up. Way less than what they want for that, even right after Thanksgiving.

Book a transcon that earns double miles.

jrl767 Nov 23, 2019 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 31770576)
Book a transcon that earns double miles.

didn’t the “double miles on select TCONs” promo require registration before ~6/1?

wolfpacktrojan Nov 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31770606)
didn’t the “double miles on select TCONs” promo require registration before ~6/1?

I thought registration was over too, but AS had a booth at EWR last night (next to gate A32) trying to get people to sign up for Mileage Plan, with double miles on transcons until the end of the year to sweeten the deal. Had never seen AS do anything like that before, but perhaps others have.

tom911 Nov 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Nothing in the original offer about registering by June 1, though it does say you need to register before your first qualifying flight.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ast-coast.html

chrisl137 Nov 24, 2019 12:19 am

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan (Post 31770655)
I thought registration was over too, but AS had a booth at EWR last night (next to gate A32) trying to get people to sign up for Mileage Plan, with double miles on transcons until the end of the year to sweeten the deal. Had never seen AS do anything like that before, but perhaps others have.

I haven't seen a booth, but I've heard them announcing it and lining people to sign up at the gate before boarding a few times.

It doesn't work for flights out of PDX or SEA though - it's only for hubs in CA to the east coast.