Minimum Connection Time >60 minutes at JFK?

Old Nov 8, 19, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Minimum Connection Time >60 minutes at JFK?

Trying to book a mileage run and got this...

Is it just a temporary glitch?
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:03 am

Hazarding a guess here. The search says all airports so maybe with that search it puts in the 60 minute connection. I would try search for just flights to and from JFK. If that fails not sure what might be up.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
It looks like MCT should be 60 mins so you should be fine to book. But aside from that, do you really need to book as a single itinerary? Why not just book as two one ways? Not 100% sure on JFK ops, but would be shocked if this isn't just the same aircraft doing a turn, so you wouldn't likely need to rely on AS protecting your connection from it being on the same itinerary.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SNAnghbr View Post
Hazarding a guess here. The search says all airports so maybe with that search it puts in the 60 minute connection. I would try search for just flights to and from JFK. If that fails not sure what might be up.
Good thought but that didn't work.

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
It looks like MCT should be 60 mins so you should be fine to book. But aside from that, do you really need to book as a single itinerary? Why not just book as two one ways? Not 100% sure on JFK ops, but would be shocked if this isn't just the same aircraft doing a turn, so you wouldn't likely need to rely on AS protecting your connection from it being on the same itinerary.
I certainly can break it up, I was just curious as I'm pretty sure I've flown this before with a similar connection time and never had an issue.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Not 100% sure on JFK ops, but would be shocked if this isn't just the same aircraft doing a turn, so you wouldn't likely need to rely on AS protecting your connection from it being on the same itinerary.
Looks like it mostly turns, but I did see one pending where the aircraft was next used for JFK-LAX. Could just be a placeholder until closer to departure though.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
strange i did something similar SFO<->EWR (fri redeye and first flight out sat return) to requal for MVPG and was able to book it on one PNR with similar connection time
Old Nov 8, 19, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Rather off-topic, but F returns for <$1k Tcons are nice to see. I'm assuming this is the norm in the PDX market?
Old Nov 8, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
Rather off-topic, but F returns for <$1k Tcons are nice to see. I'm assuming this is the norm in the PDX market?
Thats been my experience this year. Upfared a couple work tickets from PDX or back to snag EQM when feeling like I have more money than time in the year.
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I seem to recall a similar issue with JFK.

Went to BOS instead- more miles as a bonus
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: Yes
It looks like MCT should be 60 mins so you should be fine to book.
Nope, it's 1:15 for AS-AS domestic to domestic at JFK. Unfortunately, this connection is 2 minutes short of meeting the MCT.

From ExpertFlyer --

AS-AS DD 1.15

Originally Posted by richiezc View Post
strange i did something similar SFO<->EWR (fri redeye and first flight out sat return) to requal for MVPG and was able to book it on one PNR with similar connection time
EWR MCT is 60 minutes, so if turn had longer layover than that, it was fine. Looking at current schedule, it arrives at 5:55AM and departs at 7:00AM and thus meets the EWR MCT.

AS-AS DD 1.00

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 8, 19 at 8:06 pm
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

I've never tried to get by the MCT rule before. Will they cancel it if I book 2 one-ways?
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:55 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
I've never tried to get by the MCT rule before. Will they cancel it if I book 2 one-ways?
I very much doubt they would cancel one if on separate itin's and only believe they will look at MCT when attempting construct flights on a single itin.
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
Ha - AS IT?
No.
Old Nov 9, 19, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott LT Gold
No, AS will not cancel. The risk is that on one-ways they are not obligated to rebook you in case of a misconnect, whereas when booked on a round trip, they would be.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
No, AS will not cancel. The risk is that on one-ways they are not obligated to rebook you in case of a misconnect, whereas when booked on a round trip, they would be.
Is this a special rule when arriving/departing from the same airport?

I know they are obligated if you book, for example, PDX-SEA and SEA-XXX on separate tickets and you miss your SEA-XXX flight due to a delay/cancelation of PDX-SEA.

Search this Thread