Wiki Posts
Search

Need Miles for MVP Gold

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Need Miles for MVP Gold

My apology if this has been covered elsewhere. Link appreciated.

I need 24K miles by end of year to maintain MVP Gold.

Looking for international routes using Google/Expedia/Orbitz/etc on Partner Airlines but the fare codes are always the lowest with only 25% actual miles flown.

Hainan had an excellent sale to BKK but it timed out today while I was booking.

Suggestions very much appreciated on how to find better fare codes while searching.

thankyou
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by arcticflier

Looking for international routes using Google/Expedia/Orbitz/etc on Partner Airlines but the fare codes are always the lowest with only 25% actual miles flown.

Suggestions very much appreciated on how to find better fare codes while searching.

thankyou
Try posting here AS: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
QF earns 100% on all fare classes through the end of the year.
SEA-JFK-LAX-SYD and back is just under 25K miles
arcticflier likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Originally Posted by CDKing
QF earns 100% on all fare classes through the end of the year.
SEA-JFK-LAX-SYD and back is just under 25K miles
Thank you Finkface for the link. I think I will attempt to get my needed miles on QF.

How does CDKing get SEA-JFK-LAX ? Is that on AS with Coast-2-Coast? And then LAX-SYD on QF?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

thankyou
Ok, I'll be the contrarian. If you have barely flown half the amount of miles to achieve MVP Gold with only about 7 weeks left in the year, and you are going to manufacture a trip, that it sounds like you hadn't planned to do, just to sit jammed into coach flying to Australia, do you really fly enough that you need MVP Gold?

Regards
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thank you Finkface for the link. I think I will attempt to get my needed miles on QF.

How does CDKing get SEA-JFK-LAX ? Is that on AS with Coast-2-Coast? And then LAX-SYD on QF?
QF flies JFK-LAX as a fifth freedom, as long as you purchase the ticket JFK-Australia/New Zealand (no domestic only itineraries).
arcticflier likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
Ok, I'll be the contrarian. If you have barely flown half the amount of miles to achieve MVP Gold with only about 7 weeks left in the year, and you are going to manufacture a trip, that it sounds like you hadn't planned to do, just to sit jammed into coach flying to Australia, do you really fly enough that you need MVP Gold?

Regards
Please excuse me for failing to ask your permission prior to posting...Lol

You are incorrect to suggest you are the Contrarian. In actuality, you are what is called a busybody, or a “Nosie Nellie”.

It is absolutely none of your business why I, or anyone else on this forum makes the personal choices they do.

Whats more, you could have sent me a PM and I would have been glad to explain it to you; however, you chose to do so on the forum since you apparently have an entourage to impress and provide you with “Likes”. Reminiscent of a clique that Jr High School kids play until they reach maturity and venture out on their own.

I can think of a few quick possible reasons that even the most unimaginative amongst us should be able to think up.

-Personal Injury/Illness which required frequent Hospital stays kept a frequent traveller from flying.
-Being the caregiver to a Loved one kept the FF from flying.
-FF had professional and temporary re-assignment which precluded him/herself from their usual travel.

Or all of the above.

Whats more, I have absolutely planned to travel the next several months and your presumption to the contrary is silly. I live/work in the Arctic and love to make last-minute trips to most anywhere that has Sun.

”Regards”

Last edited by arcticflier; Nov 9, 2019 at 3:12 pm
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:15 pm

Please excuse me for failing to ask your permission prior to posting...Lol

You are incorrect to suggest you are the Contrarian. In actuality, you are what is called a busybody, or a “Nosie Nellie”.

It is absolutely none of your business why I, or anyone else on this forum makes the personal choices they do.

Whats more, you could have sent me a PM and I would have been glad to explain it to you; however, you chose to do so on the forum since you apparently have an entourage to impress and provide you with “Likes”.

I can think of a few quick possible reasons that even the most feeble-minded amongst us should be able to guess.

-Personal Injury/Illness whjch required frequent Hspital stays kept a frequent traveller from flying.
-Being the caregiver to a Loved one kept the FF from flying.
-FF had professional and temporary re-assignment which precluded him/herself from their usual travel.

Or all of the above.

whats more, I have absolutely planned to travel the next several months and your presumption to the contrary just further makes your irrelavence more apparent.
Enjoy your coach flight to Australia...

Regards
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
QF flies JFK-LAX as a fifth freedom, as long as you purchase the ticket JFK-Australia/New Zealand (no domestic only itineraries).
Separate tickets.
1) SEA-JFK-SEA on AS

2) JFK-SYD-JFK on QF, you can either do the QF 787 between JFK & LAX bit sometimes it will allow AS for the domestic leg.

The only downfall I saw was i wasn't able to select seats online for JFK-LAX-SYD since its the same flight number. So you may want to look at Brisbane (300 mi shorter) or Melbourne. If you can go at end if November or early December JFK-SYD/BNE/MEL is ~1200 RT. JFK-LAX-MEL-LAX is $1155 or LAX-MEL-LAX is just under $1k
It wont allow the whole thing from SEA on a single ticket though. When i try that I only get offered CX for the international part.

I prefer the 787 over A380 as there is more legroom.

I also noticed if you want a little more comfort CX Premium economy LAX-HKG-SIN is $1504 E class earns 110% EQM so ~19,500 EQM then do a transcon RT flight
https://flights.app.goo.gl/UPCxi
arcticflier likes this.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 9, 2019 at 1:53 pm
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
Enjoy your coach flight to Australia...

Regards
I don’t recall stating I was only considering Coach...but I appreciate the thought.

Whenever one makes assumptions, I am always reminded of an old episode of “The Odd Couple” My Strife in Court...Jaja.

Last edited by arcticflier; Nov 9, 2019 at 3:29 pm
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Yes
It is every so often that I am reminded how much I should appreciate the polite and welcoming people who are members of this forum. OP is not one of them.

His question was legitimate; your reply was not in kind. You should try the mileage run thread and not feel personally attacked when someone asks you a basic and relevant question.

Good day, sir.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:54 pm

I don’t recall stating I was only considering Coach...but I appreciate the thought.

Whenever one makes assumptions, I am always reminded of an old episode of “The Odd Couple” My Strife in Court...Jaja.
Let it go my friend. You posted in a public forum, you don't get to control how people answer or respond. I'm not required to "DM" you for "further clarification." When you post on the internet, in a public forum, you don't control who/how responses come back. If you can't handle anyone questioning/challenging your thought process perhaps the internet isn't for you.

If you don't like my response you can,

1) Choose to ignore me
2) Block my username so you don't see posts from me (happy to help you do that if you don't know how)
3) Report my post to a moderator if you believe it violates FlyerTalk terms and conditions (it does not) or...
4) Perhaps thicken your skin and sharpen your elbows a little bit if you want to come play on the internet.

I'm comfortable with my response based on the post you made. If you had simply stated upfront that you'd be ramping travel back up next year, I probably would not have replied as I did.

You chose to give me advice on what I could have said differently, yet you seem unaware that you too could have responded differently. For example, you could have...

1) Simply ignored me or
2) Said something like, "Thanks for your reply however, my travel will be significantly higher next year and thus I believe it's worth acquiring the status."

Instead, you chose to escalate and resort to name calling (e.g. "Nosie Nellies", Jr High Kids, etc), mocking, etc.

The tone of your responses to a simple question and your desire to keep "poking the bear" is beginning to say much more about you than about me.

Now, I'll take some of my own advice above and I've just placed your username on my blocklist so afraid I won't see whatever diatribe you respond with.

Safe travels whatever you chose.

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Nov 9, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
One question: are you needing 24k AS miles or 24k partner miles? If you need 24k partner miles maybe you only need 14k AS miles — which could be covered by 3 transcon roundtrip which would cost you less than a Australia roundtrip and you get upgrades on those flights. If you need 24k AS miles maybe you need 34k partner miles.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
which could be covered by 3 transcon roundtrip which would cost you less than a Australia roundtrip and you get upgrades on those flights.
This is true, although it looks like we are running out of days this year when you can find cheap turns to NYC/PHL/BOS. Looks like two red-eye turns around Dec 9 & 10 could be done for about $600 (or $480 in saver), which is good but only gets you about 10k. After reading this I'm certainly not feeling as bad about my $250 tcon MR for the year.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nookanaya
This is true, although it looks like we are running out of days this year when you can find cheap turns to NYC/PHL/BOS. Looks like two red-eye turns around Dec 9 & 10 could be done for about $600 (or $480 in saver), which is good but only gets you about 10k. After reading this I'm certainly not feeling as bad about my $250 tcon MR for the year.
LAX-BOS redeyes aren't too bad pricewise, even just a week or two out, and OP would pick up the extra RT SEA-LAX miles. It's off season for BOS travel so upgrades might be easy as an MVP (unless you need the bonus and just pay for F). It's a bit over 7100 miles for $540 in main on 11/23-24. You might bump up the mileage by flying SEA-PDX-LAX to get the minimum mileage bonuses for not much extra time and money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.