Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Buying / Cancelling tickets for flexibility; better to refund to card or my wallet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying / Cancelling tickets for flexibility; better to refund to card or my wallet?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

MVP Gold 75k member.

Let's say there is a flight in the future that I want to secure seats on.

Sometimes I want to hold on to a ticket that I might need to cancel in the future for whatever reason.

For example, let's say I want to fly on Alaska a month from now, but not sure. Pending plans of other people. But I want to buy the tickets early so I have the seats I want in the class I want, or before they sell out.

Sometimes I'll buy the ticket, then cancel within 24 hours, and refund to my original form of payment. Then I'll by the same seats immediately after and repeat the same process less than 24 hours later (if needed).

This can result in substantial temporary charges on my credit card, and it can take a few days for Alaska to refund or cancel the original charge. This seems to mess up my credit score temporarily, due to the spike in utilization.

Other options are to buy the ticket, and cancel anytime before departure (as opposed to the 24hr window previously mentioned) then get a credit in "my wallet" instead of my credit card (original form of payment). This is very flexible as an MVP Gold 75k member I can cancel any flight up to time of departure for a refund to my wallet. I'm not wasting time purchasing and canceling tickets every 24hrs. Downside is Alaska then "owns" that money and I will never get it back as money; it must be used on Alaska.

Which is the best strategy? Refund to credit card and rebook, or refund to my wallet and hold onto the reservation longer?

(yes I know the best strategy is just to pick a firm date and go with it, but sometimes my schedule is not so clear)

Rules for Alaska Refunds:

The list below provides refund details for each payment method.
  • Credit card - refund is credited to the original credit card used within 7 business days. It may take one to two billing cycles before the credit appears on your statement.
  • Gift cards or gift certificates - refund is credited to a new gift certificate and sent to the ticket purchaser's email address within 7 business days.
  • Bonus travel or credit certificates - refund is credited to a new certificate and sent to the ticket purchaser's email address within 7 business days. Expired funds will not be refunded.
  • My Wallet - refund is deposited to the original My Wallet account within 7 business days.
  • Mileage Plan™ - miles will be redeposited to the original Mileage Plan™ account within 7 business days.

Last edited by dfaiabohbir8; Nov 5, 2019 at 5:45 pm Reason: added refund rules
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I'd say just buy for the few dates / flights you want and cancel ones you don't want closer in/refund to Wallet as it gets closer. This also has a benefit of locking in fares vs them potentially creeping up as additional fare classes sell out, or prices climb. After enough cancelled flights, you should have enough of a little cushion in your wallet so less will be charged to your card, but if buying a few flights is impacting your credit score, try using a card with a higher limit, applying for additional cards, etc etc.

Supposedly some have reported AS contacting them if it appears there are impossible flights purchased (e.g. departing an hour later, while on another purchased itinerary), but I'm not sure how actively they're checking that. All that churning between flights and all those refunds to process are probably just as annoying to AS as they are to you.
dfaiabohbir8 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
As a 75K, you probably fly enough to be able to definitively use the credits in your wallet within 1 year of original purchase date. I don’t hesitate to purchase tickets and lock in best seats and prices as a 75K. At any given time I can have 20 -30 one way flights booked for the next 4-5 months. If I need or want to cancel a trip great, but if I had to buy a ticket on shorter notice then cost goes up and seat selection option goes down.

I typically will use wallet funds to purchase tickets for my family which are typically more set in stone with their travel (all leisure and based around school schedule) and thus no issues with risk of wallet fund date expiring.

I realize that I am floating AS the money. However the money I have saved buying tickets in advance is by far better result.
dfaiabohbir8 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
All that churning between flights and all those refunds to process are probably just as annoying to AS as they are to you.
Our corporate travel agency limits certain booking actions because airlines will issue debit memos for churn. I would imagine that enough of it as a individual flyer will put the OP on the radar as well. Canceling within 24 hours then rebooking the exact same flight could be seen as trying to extended the 24 hour cancel policy beyond that timeframe, for example.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
You bring up an interesting issue. Is it better to get a refund, deposit funds in your wallet, or that third option, the email certificate/code.

First of all, I never make a booking I don't intend to use. If I must change, I have tried all 3 options.

Within the 24 hours of making a booking, getting a refund to my card is my preference. I am ok with any refund delay.

Outside of 24 hours, I often use the wallet for convenience. I seem to make enough bookings on Alaska that I will use the wallet funds within the month.

I have tried the certificate. That is something else I have to track. If I recall corretly the benefits of that option is the expiration date is longer and the certificate can be used by anyone with the number. In other words, the credit certificate is transferable. That may be of help to someone who doesn't expect to travel in the upcoming 12 months.

In your case as a 75K and as already presumed by Xrayman, I too would presume you make bookings often enough to find the wallet convenient. But maybe your 75k level was the result of a status match and you don't fly Alaska Airlines that often. Were you status matched?
dfaiabohbir8 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
You bring up an interesting issue. Is it better to get a refund, deposit funds in your wallet, or that third option, the email certificate/code.

First of all, I never make a booking I don't intend to use. If I must change, I have tried all 3 options.

Within the 24 hours of making a booking, getting a refund to my card is my preference. I am ok with any refund delay.

Outside of 24 hours, I often use the wallet for convenience. I seem to make enough bookings on Alaska that I will use the wallet funds within the month.

I have tried the certificate. That is something else I have to track. If I recall corretly the benefits of that option is the expiration date is longer and the certificate can be used by anyone with the number. In other words, the credit certificate is transferable. That may be of help to someone who doesn't expect to travel in the upcoming 12 months.

In your case as a 75K and as already presumed by Xrayman, I too would presume you make bookings often enough to find the wallet convenient. But maybe your 75k level was the result of a status match and you don't fly Alaska Airlines that often. Were you status matched?
Hello, great thoughts. I do make Alaska flights often enough that I will use the wallet funds fairly soon, usually within a couple months...but still don't want to float Alaska the loan, unless that is really best for me. I "earned" the MVP Gold 75k status with real flights. It was not a status match.

Last edited by dfaiabohbir8; Nov 5, 2019 at 10:07 pm
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:33 pm

One thing to keep in mind: if you credit card offers delay protection, you'd lose the benefit by using the wallet funds to book tickets.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Although I don't normally cancel/change flights, if it happens I just deposit the funds into my wallet. I think (I'm not totally sure) that the certs they give you expire in about the same timeline anyway, so having it go to my wallet makes it easier to keep track of. As a 75k I'm flying enough where the funds get used within a month or two anyway. I think for me it would be too much of a hassle to book and then cancel everyday. Just my two cents.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Let's assume for the moment that what you are in effect doing by having funds in My Wallet from cancelled tickets is loaning AS $2,000 over the course of a year that you would otherwise have in an interest bearing account at 2% over that year. This seems like a reasonable set of assumptions, but feel free to make different ones and do the math accordingly. Note that this estimation does NOT include any benefit you see by, say, putting the initial charges on a credit card to earn miles or points. Which I hear is popular around these parts but anyways...

Is it worth your time and hits to your credit rating to earn $40 with that cash by continually cancelling and rebooking tickets within 24 hours? I mean, if you're spending thirty minutes a week doing that, that's earning something less than two dollars an hour. Rather low valuation of your time, don't you think?
flytoeat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.