Last Day for Several Alaska Routes (11/4/2019)

Old Nov 4, 19, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Last Day for Several Alaska Routes (11/4/2019)

Today (November 4) is the last day for several Alaska routes that were announced as cuts back in August.

It seems to be the last day for the following routes:
Permanent cuts: SFO-ABQ, SFO-MCI, SFO-RDU, SFO-BNA, LAX-PHL, SJC-BUR, SAN-ABQ, SAN-OMA, SAN-STL
Seasonal cuts: SFO-BWI, SFO-PHL, SAN-BWI

Anyone on the final flights? I'm flying STL-SAN later today. I hadn't specifically intended to take the final flight, because it's not really a special flight, but it worked out that way, so it's a bit of a sad occasion taking my last nonstop between these cities for a while (I won't do 4+ hrs on WN).

It's too bad to see so many nice routes go away all at once.
jjmadison and JPat like this.

Last edited by metallo; Nov 4, 19 at 2:55 pm
Old Nov 4, 19, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP
LAX-PHL was extremely useful for me. I guess I can Amtrak to EWR but that's extra hassle and money.
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:20 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Enjoy STL-SAN for me. It will be missed...
metallo likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 2:06 pm

And I just checked the dates for when I expect to want to go to Philly next year and they don't even sell AA codeshares on LAX-PHL. :/ Outbound would require connecting through PDX for a redeye and inbound would require connecting through SEA (blech) and worse, having to be at PHL earlier than is really feasible for me to be sure about.
metallo likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 2:08 pm

SFO-RDU / BNA are permanent cuts now.
metallo likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by flyingstudent View Post
SFO-RDU / BNA are permanent cuts now.
Corrected the original post... thanks.
Old Nov 4, 19, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
SEA-IAD/BWI redeyes are gone thru Mar (as mentioned a couple months ago)
metallo likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Glad I got to fly sfo-rdu-sfo last month.

Sad to see so many go (and that I didn't get to fly most pairs)
metallo likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 5:59 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Surprised that SAN-ABQ was cut before SAN-ELP.

Got several sets of easy miles this year flying OMA-SAN-SEA instead of OMA-SEA (and each ticket was less money than the non-stop)
metallo and Air Houston like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 4, 19 at 6:08 pm
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:04 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 75k, Bonvoy Titanium
Let's not forget SAN-DAL and DAL-SAN. By FAR the most useful of the E-Jet routes, at least for me.
metallo likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Let's not forget SAN-DAL and DAL-SAN. By FAR the most useful of the E-Jet routes, at least for me.
Personally, Iím disappointed by the changes, and I hope AS isnít shooting itself in the foot, but I guess they simply believe (perhaps with good reason) that primarily west coast routes only, with a few select midcon and transcon routes, but nothing more, is the best bet financially at this point.
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s View Post
And I just checked the dates for when I expect to want to go to Philly next year and they don't even sell AA codeshares on LAX-PHL. :/ Outbound would require connecting through PDX for a redeye and inbound would require connecting through SEA (blech) and worse, having to be at PHL earlier than is really feasible for me to be sure about.
The final PHL-LAX flight still had 3 unsold F seats on an 8F ex-VX bird tonight when I last looked. I guess some of these routes just werenít selling well enough. Really too bad.
Old Nov 4, 19, 7:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
The final PHL-LAX flight still had 3 unsold F seats on an 8F ex-VX bird tonight when I last looked. I guess some of these routes just weren’t selling well enough. Really too bad.
3F unsold F isn't bad when you consider how subpar the F product is now with the soft product downgrade.

I just flew SFO-DCA and the tech exec next to me was complaining they got "stuck with Alaska" by their employer because United is so expensive on this route in F. Once he gets promoted, he won't have the $2k/flight limit, and will get to fly United, his preference in F. I rarely fly United, and happened to mention that to my F neighbor. He proceeded to tell me throughout the flight the deficiencies in the AS service compared to United. I mentioned the double miles promo and he laughed. Said he couldn't care less about miles--he cared about frequency and quality of service.

Bottomline, heavy discounts on F, as evidenced below on the next two mondays in November, aren't what will sway business travelers to switch. AS will continue to struggle on mid and transcon routes until they up their game on F product.

Note: I want AS to succeed as much as anyone here. Pointing this out so we can all be on the same page about what is holding AS back on transcons.

Mon Nov 11

Mon Nov 18

Last edited by jjmadison; Nov 4, 19 at 7:51 pm
Old Nov 4, 19, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by metallo View Post

It's too bad to see so many nice routes go away all at once.
welcome to today's AS

in my opinion, they don't leave routes on the calendar long enough to determine whether or not they will be long term successful

SMF-KOA, which should have had no problem working 3x a week they had it scheduled with no competition for NS traffic and best connecting option via LAX on AA/UA/DL (barf), is being cut at some point soon as well. I will be ticked, but not surprised, if/when AS also give up on SMF-OGG since HA and WN are now also on it.

their route map is like a drunken case of pin the tail on the donkey
jjmadison likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
welcome to today's AS

in my opinion, they don't leave routes on the calendar long enough to determine whether or not they will be long term successful
their route map is like a drunken case of pin the tail on the donkey
It's gotten to the point where you can probably be fairly safe about your routes remaining intact if you live in SEA (but still not 100%, as mentioned up-thread)... everywhere else, particularly midwest/east coast is a real crapshoot. There doesn't seem to be any clear strategy.

Well, I shouldn't say that. Right now it seems to be... grow short hop west coast flights, including out of SAN. Get rid of midcon/east coast flights that aren't profitable enough. The issue is, the strategy seems to change every 6-12 months or so, so maybe some of these flights will be added back, maybe some won't... there isn't nearly as much uncertainty with other U.S. airlines at the moment, even with 737 MAX issues.
jjmadison likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: