Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earnings on QF flights decimated

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
AS needs to start allowing QF codeshare to be sold with flights outside of California
tusphotog likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I would still submit a request via email to Customer Care after flying, and escalate if needed. When entire partnerships have been eliminated, AS gave credit based on the previous chart as long as it was purchased prior to the announcement.
I checked QF and it look like $400 SGD (around $295 USD) to cancel whole trip. My friend and I booked this ticket for MR purpose... plus i havent buy reposition flights (was waiting for black friday deals from CX or SQ). I am leaning toward cancelling the trip and LEARN my lesson, don't ever buy cheap economy fares anymore. Premium economy or above, end of story
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Premium economy or above, end of story
Uh, if you're going to do that, I wouldn't bank on deep discount fare classes for any cabin. JL's lowest PY fare goes to 70% next fall (matching their lowest discount business fare) in JMB. AS' chart makes no mention right now but I'm expecting that it will be like this QF change.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I checked QF and it look like $400 SGD (around $295 USD) to cancel whole trip. My friend and I booked this ticket for MR purpose... plus i havent buy reposition flights (was waiting for black friday deals from CX or SQ). I am leaning toward cancelling the trip and LEARN my lesson, don't ever buy cheap economy fares anymore. Premium economy or above, end of story
I don't think buying PE or J fare can protect for MR purpose.

Instead, airline can change how much they credit partner airlines anytime. And FFP can change how much they give to booking class all the time. I personally would be very careful with abnormal earn.

For example, A class on SK is earning 200% on A3 and it has been adnormal for years and a very favorite sweet spot for mileage running and I think it is subject to change all the time.

I would use where to credit to see how a particular booking class earn on many airlines to see how much it is supposed to earn on most partners and understand why any outliner happens and pray for not being changed after buying but before flying - with a contingency plan in place.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by pbd456
I don't think buying PE or J fare can protect for MR purpose.

Instead, airline can change how much they credit partner airlines anytime. And FFP can change how much they give to booking class all the time. I personally would be very careful with abnormal earn.

For example, A class on SK is earning 200% on A3 and it has been adnormal for years and a very favorite sweet spot for mileage running and I think it is subject to change all the time.

I would use where to credit to see how a particular booking class earn on many airlines to see how much it is supposed to earn on most partners and understand why any outliner happens and pray for not being changed after buying but before flying - with a contingency plan in place.
yeah. We all know airlines can make changes to earning rate or FFP anytime. I would assume most PE or J fares likely to remain largely unchanged. Qantas confirm it’s $400SGD to cancel if anyone want to cancel that cheap SIN-LAX QF fare. I surely will cancel that trip because I’m not going to fly tons for lousy 25% EQM especially when I can simply buy SQ PE from nyc for few hundreds more without reposition costs.

this QF decision def might be good to my wallet because I don’t see any reasons to go for MVP75K especially someone who don’t travel domestically much so MVPG is enough for me
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:51 pm

yeah. We all know airlines can make changes to earning rate or FFP anytime. I would assume most PE or J fares likely to remain largely unchanged. Qantas confirm it’s $400SGD to cancel if anyone want to cancel that cheap SIN-LAX QF fare. I surely will cancel that trip because I’m not going to fly tons for lousy 25% EQM especially when I can simply buy SQ PE from nyc for few hundreds more without reposition costs.

this QF decision def might be good to my wallet because I don’t see any reasons to go for MVP75K especially someone who don’t travel domestically much so MVPG is enough for me
A class used to mean first class on star alliance (and still do). but most airlines had got rid of First class, and introduced premium economy. A class was used as premium economy instead. I remember I did the HKG IST LAX round trip A fare (premium economy) on TK and it earned Class of service bonus like 150% which business class fare dont earn when I credited to UA. Obviously, this type of unusual earn dont last forever. Some airline are fast in catching it and adjust the table, some airlines are not.

Another example, AA discount economy used to earn 100% on all partners including AS. When AA had gone revenue based, it was posted as 25% for many airlines. Airlines update the chart not at the same speed. At a certain point, EY and AY were the ONLY two airlines that give 100% on AA O class.

https://viewfromthewing.com/still-ea...lines-tickets/

after around 1 year, the chart was updated on EY.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:50 pm

As others have observed, hardly surprising. I think it was the final remaining cheapest coach fare earning 100% miles travelled on a partner airline. By the way, who pays for the miles earned? AS or QF?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:35 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by sarpotd
I am trying to make a booking on the Qantas.com website and it does not clearly show the fare code under which the booking is being made. How do I find this before I enter my personal information? I would like to find out the fare code to find out how many Alaska miles I will get. The booking is in economy class.

Thanks
The easy way is check on Ex or Or as they list the fare basis before you ticket it.

This is so sad, as I had planned to use this fare at least twice next year, even though it's coach. Actually, I didn't find the coach seat too bad, but I had the exit row window, 48A, on the A380, so it was almost like their PE recline, but more legroom. One trip with a stop in SYD for a few days was only about US$140 more. And wanted to see the MEL QF FC lounge while I was still AA EXP. Oh well.

Glad I didn't book it. Waited to see what CX's Black Friday sale had.
lsquare and sarpotd like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by rbAA
The easy way is check on Ex or Or as they list the fare basis before you ticket it.

This is so sad, as I had planned to use this fare at least twice next year, even though it's coach. Actually, I didn't find the coach seat too bad, but I had the exit row window, 48A, on the A380, so it was almost like their PE recline, but more legroom. One trip with a stop in SYD for a few days was only about US$140 more. And wanted to see the MEL QF FC lounge while I was still AA EXP. Oh well.

Glad I didn't book it. Waited to see what CX's Black Friday sale had.
Any other OTA that display the fare code? When you book on Expedia or Orbitz, I'm assuming that it almost always register as airfare purhases on a credit card?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
As others have observed, hardly surprising. I think it was the final remaining cheapest coach fare earning 100% miles travelled on a partner airline. By the way, who pays for the miles earned? AS or QF?
That's the final one? Damn, so what's the next be Dr to option to ramp up the miles on the cheap?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
That's the final one? Damn, so what's the next be Dr to option to ramp up the miles on the cheap?
There are still airlines that give 100% on all paid Y class, but none of them are Alaska partner.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Any other OTA that display the fare code? When you book on Expedia or Orbitz, I'm assuming that it almost always register as airfare purhases on a credit card?
Replicate the itinerary on ITA Matrix. It will show you the fare bucket and the fare rules.

James
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Replicate the itinerary on ITA Matrix. It will show you the fare bucket and the fare rules.

James
But you can't buy from ITA so what's the point? I think I asked before and that even though it's the same flight and on the same dates, even though it appears in the same search result, if the ticket is cheaper than Expedia or from the airline itself, it could be the fare code. Not sure if there is any truth to it.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
There are still airlines that give 100% on all paid Y class, but none of them are Alaska partner.
Which are some of these airlines?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:29 pm

Which are some of these airlines?
For crediting to A3 (I am a star gold)
ET (except P -- discount business).
SK (except go light)

There has been a constant fear about the earning rate is getting changed in A3 forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aege...nings-way.html

It is easy to re qualified star gold for <800 USD by flying cheap premium cabin ticket on A3.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.