FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Possible to upgrade one leg (return) of KE paid J flight to F using AS miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1992934-possible-upgrade-one-leg-return-ke-paid-j-flight-f-using-miles.html)

shza Oct 26, 2019 11:16 pm

Possible to upgrade one leg (return) of KE paid J flight to F using AS miles?

I flew from SFO to ICN a week ago in KE J and will be returning to SFO in another week. Ticket was paid J RT, credited to my AS mileage account. KE website shows that there are open F seats on the return that are eligible for mileage upgrades (presumably using KE miles).

Does anyone know if it's possible to use AS miles to upgrade from J to F on one leg of a paid J ticket?

And if so, do you know the mileage cost to do so for ICN-SFO (and whether I'd effectively be paying double, like for KE award tickets where you pay the RT miles price even for one-ways)?

rustykettel Oct 26, 2019 11:30 pm

Afraid not. AS miles can only upgrade AS paid tickets or AS/partner awards, and AS doesn't have access to KE F on award tickets, only J.

Flying for Fun Oct 26, 2019 11:33 pm

Deleted for inaccuracy!

James

Flying for Fun Oct 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 31669994)
Afraid not. AS miles can only upgrade AS paid tickets or AS/partner awards, and AS doesn't have access to KE F on award tickets, only J.

Well that just blows my theory out of the water. I forgot that fine detail.... ;)

James

shza Oct 26, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks, figured. So, given that I have no Skypass miles, the only possibility would probably be transferring (120k) Bonvoy points to (40k) Skypass and using those to upgrade J-->F. Though I imagine that would probably require untagging my AS MP account from the ticket and associating it with my (empty) Skypass account -- if that's even possible after having flown one leg of the flight. Unlikely to be worth it, I guess. The J suites in KE are quite good as far as J goes already.

Flying for Fun Oct 27, 2019 12:11 am

Originally Posted by shza (Post 31670016)
Thanks, figured. So, given that I have no Skypass miles, the only possibility would probably be transferring (120k) Bonvoy points to (40k) Skypass and using those to upgrade J-->F. Though I imagine that would probably require untagging my AS MP account from the ticket and associating it with my (empty) Skypass account -- if that's even possible after having flown one leg of the flight. Unlikely to be worth it, I guess. The J suites in KE are quite good as far as J goes already.

Don't forget you are flying on an AS ticket number. I am not sure KE can make changes to the ticket as they didn't issue it.

James

shza Oct 27, 2019 12:26 am

No, KE did issue it. I bought the ticket directly from KE's website. I just provided my AS number as the account to which I wanted the miles credited. Maybe that amounts to the same thing, but just to be clear.

I don't think it's the best use of 120k Bonvoy points anyway.

AKLifetimeFlyer Oct 27, 2019 2:22 am

I didn't even realize KE had F. Do you mean they have a four class long-haul product with Econ, Prem. Econ, Business, First?

CDKing Oct 27, 2019 10:56 am

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer (Post 31670175)
I didn't even realize KE had F. Do you mean they have a four class long-haul product with Econ, Prem. Econ, Business, First?

Three class; Economy, Business (Prestige) & First. They have been phasing out F on all but TPAC. On my Auckland flight for example F it was the same seat as business but 2 row mini cabin with dedicated FA and upgraded meals.

Flying for Fun Oct 27, 2019 11:03 am

Originally Posted by shza (Post 31670045)
No, KE did issue it. I bought the ticket directly from KE's website. I just provided my AS number as the account to which I wanted the miles credited. Maybe that amounts to the same thing, but just to be clear.

Sorry, I thought you were on a AS award ticket. I would agree that 120K Bonvoy could be better utilized. :)

James

Kacee Oct 27, 2019 12:47 pm

SFO-ICN in F is only 80k KE, with very good availability. That's a pretty good use of195k Bonvoy IMO.

skimthetrees Oct 27, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by shza (Post 31670045)

It would be 105k Bonvoy to get 40k Korean miles. 60k (25k) + 45k (15k). What does Bonvoy give for it? 1 night in a Cat 13 hotel? I might consider it.