FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Domestic 15K Upgrade Awards? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1992618-domestic-15k-upgrade-awards.html)

nologic Oct 24, 2019 9:29 am

Domestic 15K Upgrade Awards?

How can I identify in advance of booking if there is 15K award upgrade space on Alaska BOS-SFO-BOS?

Also, can I upgrade a discounted companion ticket from my Alaska Air credit card?

be_rettSEA Oct 24, 2019 9:38 am

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 31662089)
How can I identify in advance of booking if there is 15K award upgrade space on Alaska BOS-SFO-BOS?

Also, can I upgrade a discounted companion ticket from my Alaska Air credit card?

Use the "upgrade fare type" buttons to the left on the flight results page. You'll use the "mileage" button. If there is a solid blue box with a white F in it next to your flight, there is upgrade space available. You'll need to be booked into Y S M B or H fare class to use this type of upgrade. If using a companion fare, you should still be able to upgrade so long as the "blue F" (aka U fare space) is available for 2, and your fare class is one of the ones above. You'd need 30K miles to upgrade both passengers. Just a note, YSMBH fare classes are some of the most expensive on the flight. Depending on how full your flight is and how far from departure you are, you may find them more expensive than just purchasing a first class seat.

More info on mileage upgrades here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...class-upgrades

Eurynom0s Oct 24, 2019 9:55 am

FWIW, I've been monitoring GGU upgrade availability on my upcoming LAX-BOS-LAX flight and it seems like they just don't release it. I feel like this is relatively unsurprising considering it looks like they fly VX-configured Airbuses (only 8 F seats) on these routes.

nologic Oct 24, 2019 10:04 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA (Post 31662112)
Use the "upgrade fare type" buttons to the left on the flight results page. You'll use the "mileage" button. If there is a solid blue box with a white F in it next to your flight, there is upgrade space available. You'll need to be booked into Y S M B or H fare class to use this type of upgrade. If using a companion fare, you should still be able to upgrade so long as the "blue F" (aka U fare space) is available for 2, and your fare class is one of the ones above. You'd need 30K miles to upgrade both passengers. Just a note, YSMBH fare classes are some of the most expensive on the flight. Depending on how full your flight is and how far from departure you are, you may find them more expensive than just purchasing a first class seat.

More info on mileage upgrades here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...class-upgrades

Thanks. That works except no seats.

be_rettSEA Oct 24, 2019 10:29 am

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 31662196)
Thanks. That works except no seats.

U space can be hard to find, especially on transcons. If you're flexibile with dates, that helps.

Flying for Fun Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 31662089)

Do you have AS Elite status? The fare buckets that an award upgrade can be applied to are also eligible fares for immediate complimentary upgrade for Elites. Y, S; MVP, MVPG+, B,M; MVPG+, H; 75K.

MVPG+ can upgrade one additional passenger in the same PNR. The companion certificate allows you to purchase the second ticket at $99+ fees & taxes so you only need to purchase one higher fare bucket ticket to move you both into an eligible fare.

If you have GGUs, you only need to purchase a K fare and would require 1 GGU each per direction.

In all instances, however, you will need to find flights with 2U availability. Select 2 pax, enter your companion certificate & Elite Status for upgrade type (or Gold Guest if using GGUs) and see what is offered.

James

chrisl137 Oct 24, 2019 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s (Post 31662167)
FWIW, I've been monitoring GGU upgrade availability on my upcoming LAX-BOS-LAX flight and it seems like they just don't release it. I feel like this is relatively unsurprising considering it looks like they fly VX-configured Airbuses (only 8 F seats) on these routes.

They're starting to run the reconfigured Airbus - I flew BOS-LAX last night on one and scored an upgrade in the third row at about T-2. Outbound LAX-BOS the seatmap bounced back and forth and ended up with the 8F configuration.

Eurynom0s Oct 27, 2019 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137 (Post 31663037)
They're starting to run the reconfigured Airbus - I flew BOS-LAX last night on one and scored an upgrade in the third row at about T-2. Outbound LAX-BOS the seatmap bounced back and forth and ended up with the 8F configuration.

Yeah, I'm still not seeing open U space when searching on GGU upgrades but I just checked my seats and it looks like I've gotten a free swap into PC on my flight out due to getting a reconfigured plane. The flight back is still showing the old configuration but maybe that will change too in the next few days.

Sucks for people who had confirmed PC in rows 16/17 though. Hopefully this isn't a repeat of the seat renumbering cluster from last year. I guess it'll be easier to accommodate row 16/17 people with free alcohol this time around but that doesn't do you much good if you confirm your seat while seeing the new config and then get swapped back to the old config.