Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Actual experiences with companion fare, lead passenger no-shows

Old Oct 23, 19, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL DM, Hyatt Glob

I have a companion fare reservation booked round-trip coming up, and due to a work obligation now need to fly elsewhere instead of home, at the end of our trip. Between now and the time that we booked the flights originally, the cost of our return leg has now more than doubled our RT fare.

My companion and I will fly together on the outbound but only he will be needing the return portion of the ticket. I do not mind discarding this leg and the fare that goes with it, but I do want to ensure that he will not be booted off the plane because I no-show the return leg. I don't see anywhere on our previous boarding passes that identifies the fare as companion fare, or anything like that. I understand Alaska will cancel any following flights on the reservation but this would be our last flight on the PNR.

Any actual experiences with the lead passenger no-showing on a companion fare? Is there any chance that my companion would be prevented from taking the return flight? Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 19, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by michellt View Post
I have a companion fare reservation booked round-trip coming up, and due to a work obligation now need to fly elsewhere instead of home, at the end of our trip. Between now and the time that we booked the flights originally, the cost of our return leg has now more than doubled our RT fare.

My companion and I will fly together on the outbound but only he will be needing the return portion of the ticket. I do not mind discarding this leg and the fare that goes with it, but I do want to ensure that he will not be booted off the plane because I no-show the return leg. I don't see anywhere on our previous boarding passes that identifies the fare as companion fare, or anything like that. I understand Alaska will cancel any following flights on the reservation but this would be our last flight on the PNR.

Any actual experiences with the lead passenger no-showing on a companion fare? Is there any chance that my companion would be prevented from taking the return flight? Thanks!
This has been covered many times. Short answer. Yes! If the Primary isn't flying, neither is the companion. What I suggest is calling AS and requesting that the primary & companion names be switched on the PNR. There is at least one datapoint on a successful outcome. If you have Status, that usually goes a long way too. YMMV.

James
Eurynom0s, missamo80 and jjmadison like this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL DM, Hyatt Glob
Great suggestion, thanks Flying for Fun, called to switch our names on the PNR and now done.
Old Oct 23, 19, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by michellt View Post
Great suggestion, thanks Flying for Fun, called to switch our names on the PNR and now done.
Awesome!

James

Search this Thread