Mileage from Partner Flights

Old Oct 23, 19, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Ceasars Diamond
Mileage from Partner Flights

Booked BA First SFO -LHR and paid full price because it was cheap those dates and BA First has great mileage (100% base, 150% class of service, 200% bonus miles). Outbound no problem, return flight canceled due to BA pilot strike on 9/9/19. They move me to American LHR-DFW-SFO in Flagship first. At the time, didn't think about miles and just did it rather than stay two more days in London to get back on a BA flight. I got 29,524 miles for the outbound flight. After emailing and calling and finally "tweeting" to Alaska they found my return flight and credited my account for... 11,878 miles on the return! I complained that I paid for a BA flight and want the mileage I paid for... the strike was not my fault. Alaska is saying they can only credit me for the flight I was on (100% base, 50% bonus). So here I am out 18,000 miles and not to mention the hassle of flight through Dallas (with delays) to get home. Now I won't qualify for MVP Gold either.

Anyone have this issue before or know of any remedy? Thanks
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Call again (or email) and ask for original routing credit, showing the receipts for the flights you had planned to be on. They may not be able to get you the miles (though I'd definitely keep pushing them to do so), but should make a note in your account that would allow a bump to Gold if you're short by the difference in miles from original routing/class vs what posted.
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I've tried three times. Asking for Gold at the end might be the only way. 18,000 is a lot to lose for me.
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by JimSF View Post
Thanks. I've tried three times. Asking for Gold at the end might be the only way. 18,000 is a lot to lose for me.
Haven't done the math to check your numbers, but keep in mind that only the base and class of service bonus count as EQM, not the additional bonus, so you may have even further to get to Gold if you're factoring that in.
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by JimSF View Post
the hassle of flight through Dallas (with delays) to get home. Now I won't qualify for MVP Gold either.

Was the delay enough to pursue EU 261 compensation? 600 Euros for a four hour delay is at least some compensation...
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
Haven't done the math to check your numbers, but keep in mind that only the base and class of service bonus count as EQM, not the additional bonus, so you may have even further to get to Gold if you're factoring that in.
It's roughly 5,500 total EQM miles difference. Obviously the 200% Cabin Bonus with the delta 100% COS is a good chunk of RDM, but you're correct it's "just" 5,500 miles.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Correct Ali, if you only count EQM. 5,500 EQM and another 12,000 RDM. Brutal.

For the EU compensation, not eligible. The delay was American's fault at DFW.
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
Honestly, this is a bit of a tricky situation, because from an ORC standpoint with AS and a partner, it usually works in favor of the requester. This issue is that since you flew AA metal and credited to AS, AA will be paying out the rate for the fare code, not BA as you intended. The 3 parties involved will most likely pass the buck off to one another, and your only real shot is if AS agrees you should be due the additional miles. Truthfully, I don't see it as a winning battle, but you may want to try to escalate or get a friendly CS rep, most likely they will have to manually get the mileage team to credit you, and that might be the sticking point.
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

They are passing the buck. I went to BA also and they said it's up to your mileage plan. It makes me want to switch to United where at least I'll be on their planes for international flights.
Also, I would think AS should credit me all the way to SFO not just LHR to DFW. The last leg is part of an international itinerary, not a stand alone domestic flight. Frustrating
Old Oct 23, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
BA would honor the ORC if credits to BA.

not sure why AS should lose money as AS is getting less from AA than from BA.
Old Oct 23, 19, 11:18 pm

So what you guys are saying is:

When I fly on airline A and credit the miles to airline B, airline A has to buy the miles from B and deposit it in my account. What if the marketing airline is A, operating is B and I credit it to C? How does the money change hands between the airlines?

I take it that the airlines don't pay nearly 2c/mile rate that the rest of us have to pay to buy the miles. Any idea what these rates are? Or maybe it is a closely guarded secret between airlines?

Search this Thread