Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska baggage scan at arrival

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Alaska baggage scan at arrival

While talking with a staff person at an Alaska baggage office, he said he scans checked bags as they enter the public side of the conveyor belt at arrival, and I was thinking to myself that I have never noticed someone doing that. Does it really happen?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
It does, I've seen it at LAX and I think PDX before. Never here in SFO, but I think they scan them as they go on the belt on the secure side. That's what gives the time stamp for the BSGs.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I saw someone at SEA recently, frantically trying to scan them as they came off of the conveyor.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure why it's not done the way other carriers do it, e.g. as the bag is removed from the cart and placed on the conveyor up/down to the carousel.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure why it's not done the way other carriers do it, e.g. as the bag is removed from the cart and placed on the conveyor up/down to the carousel.
Cheaper unskilled contract labor at baggage claim versus trained employees on the ramp?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:43 pm

i've seen it every time I've checked a bag for the last 3+ years
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Platinum Medallion, Ambassador Elite
I've seen it at SEA. Thought it was odd, never really thought anything more of it. Perhaps it helps flow during busy times?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Only ever seen it at SEA. Never anywhere else. If it relates to baggage delivery timing, I suppose the high volume hub for AS would be where you'd see it.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
It’s a shot in the dark, but maybe the baggage office could match up the checked bags by comparing arrival scans to departure scans?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
AA has done it for a couple of years. You can now look at the AA app and see when your baggage was checked in, loaded on the plane, and finally loaded onto the carousel. I'm sure that AS will have this same app capability in the future. I find it reassuring...unless it told me that it WASN'T loaded onto the plane.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member

In addition to manually scanning bags as they’re off-loaded from the plane, many airports have automatic bag tag readers (ATR) on the baggage conveyors themselves. These are called inbound or claim scanners. Here’s a set of scanners under the protective hood at an inbound claim in Boston terminal C. It’s nice to know your bags made it off the plane, but it’s nicer to know that they made it the extra step to the baggage claim itself.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:49 pm

It would be great if AS would provide bag tracking in the app like some of their competitors (AA and DL have it i think?). But that would imply AS invests in IT innovation... which is rare.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:38 pm

UA also able to track bags in the app, which AS should consider adding.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:50 pm

Perhaps has something to do with IATA resolution 753 which went into effect earlier this year?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Perhaps has something to do with IATA resolution 753 which went into effect earlier this year?
It's a combination of member-airlines complying with IATA 753 (not every airline is a member i.e. Southwest, Allegiant, Spirit),
and some carriers are simply proactively investing in the customer experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.