Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

PenAir/RAVN Flight (AS 3296) Overshoots Runway in DUT (10/17/2019)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Helpful links for updates:
Alaskaair.com
https://blog.alaskaair.com/
Print Wikipost

PenAir/RAVN Flight (AS 3296) Overshoots Runway in DUT (10/17/2019)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by rayfound
I am assuming, maybe wrongly, that the fatality must be related to the propeller striking ground/breaking/entering cabin? The airframe looks pretty much intact, considering circumstances so The major injuries would be most likely improper/unbuckled bets, prop strike, and maybe some whiplash-type injuries?
That's my guess. You can see where it damaged the side of the fuselage and likely made entry into the cabin.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:37 pm

According to the METAR at the time of the incident, the pilots attempted to land with a 27kt tailwind.

Sad to hear of a fatality.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Chugach
According to the METAR at the time of the incident, the pilots attempted to land with a 27kt tailwind.

Sad to hear of a fatality.
Wow... tower allowed that? ...set landings on the runway in that direction?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Very sad. I never enjoy landing at DUT. Thankfully, I am able to plane ahead and wait for a good "weather window" whenever heading to the Aleutians (or anywhere in Alaska for that matter).
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd
There is no tower at DUT. I believe the only airports in Alaska served by AS that have control towers are ANC, FAI, JNU, ADQ, and BET. ENA has one too but it’s only served by 7H.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
More info. here:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2019...red-10-others/
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
One thing that doesn't make sense about the Dutch Harbor runway excursion.. why did the plane land WITH the wind? Landed on RWY13, winds 300 @ 21, gusting to 27. Wet runway too

That last turn to intercept RWY31 is tight, you'd probably want to come from the SW rather than NE... so that means overflying by a bit...

"USABLE DISTANCE OF VASI 1.4 MILES DUE TO MOUNTAIN"

TORA is 4500 on RWY13, 4377 on RWY31... maybe that's why? Just seems like a cavalier thing to do with those conditions
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
The plane crashed at around 5:45 p.m. after a missed approach on the first attempt to land, according to preliminary information from Clint Johnson, Alaska chief for the National Transportation Safety Board.

“The accident happened on the second landing attempt," Johnson said.

Ugh... you would have hoped the first attempt might have been a clue it wasn't a good idea to land that way.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rayfound
I am assuming, maybe wrongly, that the fatality must be related to the propeller striking ground/breaking/entering cabin? The airframe looks pretty much intact, considering circumstances so The major injuries would be most likely improper/unbuckled bets, prop strike, and maybe some whiplash-type injuries?
It looks like it must have been prop

Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Originally Posted by Chugach
There is no tower at DUT. I believe the only airports in Alaska served by AS that have control towers are ANC, FAI, JNU, ADQ, and BET. ENA has one too but it’s only served by 7H.
As an interesting fact, the state of Alaska only has 13 FAA control towers total; 4 in Anchorage, 3 in Fairbanks. So the majority of the AS destinations up there are untowered.

Conversely, the only mainland destinations served by AS/QX without towers are: PUW, EAT, SBS
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by sturges
As an interesting fact, the state of Alaska only has 13 FAA control towers total; 4 in Anchorage, 3 in Fairbanks. So the majority of the AS destinations up there are untowered.

Conversely, the only mainland destinations served by AS/QX without towers are: PUW, EAT, SBS
That many? I think in British Columbia there's only 10 towers (if my math is right) with only 2 being 24/7 (YVR, YQQ)
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:19 pm

He’s not going to stop - we’re going into the water

APRN article with quotes from a passenger.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
More info on the runway accident at Dutch Harbor from Aviation Herald. One passenger dead from
propeller strike to fuselage. Another passenger medevac to Anchorage, and several in hospital
in Dutch Harbor.

Accident: Pen SB20 at Unalaska on Oct 17th 2019, overran runway on landing
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Landed on the flight just before this fortunately. We were held in Anchorage a night because of the high winds on the island. We approached from the other direction and as usual, the landing is always quite an adventure. Our pilot stuck it on the first try. The island was in quite the panic with word of a crash landing. Pictures from the interior show a good piece of propellor lodged into the interior of the plane. This was shared with me. I was told it was from a Cordova Swim Team member. The exterior photos show the hole from it as well as the damage to the left propellor. Quite tragic. My flight home was rescheduled from Sunday until next Saturday at the earliest while they investigated the wreck. They cleared the runway and I was able to catch a charter back to anchorage and eventually home to SEA. The SAAB is currently on a barge at Magone's on ballyhoo Road.

Image from inside the plane.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by 2000subaru
Image from inside the plane.
Crazy. That row always freaks me out a bit...I think I'll never care to sit in it again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.