Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Intra-Asia stopovers on JL and CX removed, miles for SQ increased

Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, AK MVP

Hi folks,

A few blogs are stating that Alaska Airlines has removed free stopover within Asia on JL and CX.
Blogs are shutterwhale out of SG and God Save The Points.

The miles needed for SQ for flights to China, in C and F, increased. This shows on Alaska airlines website when you look for partner miles needed for award.

Did anyone get any email from Alaska or an announcement from Alaska of the free intra asia stopover being removed?

Moderator: please remove if already covered in another thread
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Wow. A shocker.
g2929 and Calculon like this.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Oct 16, 2019 at 6:46 am
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If true, that really sucks! It would decrease the value of AS miles to me by at least 25%.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: Alaska
Go to the award chart, select Asia to Asia. A new condition 10 was added, no stopover for Intra-Asia
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:45 am

Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
CX never had stopovers intra-Asia.

So, Singapore-based bloggers...

Calculon and Isochronous like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g2929
Hi folks,

A few blogs are stating that Alaska Airlines has removed free stopover within Asia on JL and CX.
Blogs are shutterwhale out of SG and God Save The Points.

The miles needed for SQ for flights to China, in C and F, increased. This shows on Alaska airlines website when you look for partner miles needed for award.

Did anyone get any email from Alaska or an announcement from Alaska of the free intra asia stopover being removed?

Moderator: please remove if already covered in another thread
It took all of a week for the bloggers to ruin the China to SE Asia deal on Singapore. Dont forget to use their links when getting your next Sapphire Preferred!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Intra-regional awards were never supposed to have stop-over. JL was supposed to be the only exception so i guess it never was.

As for the change in rates, its because they were wrong but FT'ers just don't know how to take a gift and shut their fat mouths.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
JL Asia-US with Japan stop seems impacted as well

delete comment

Last edited by ycc777; Oct 16, 2019 at 9:58 am
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG
The new 72 hour rule is the biggest blow IMO. It appears to only apply on intra-Asia?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
The new 72 hour rule is the biggest blow IMO. It appears to only apply on intra-Asia?
Oh hey its Chinese mile brokers ruining it for anyone wanting last minute AS awards in Asia...
milypan likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Agree! I've loved the flexibility to change plans and stay longer at my destination if another acceptable flight was available to get me home, and sad to hear that's not really an option anymore
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
That has been around since 2018, yes intra-asia awards. The only new addition is no intra-regional stop-overs which were only allowed on AS metal until JL and newer partners came online

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/a...y-sort-of.html
Calculon likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:28 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It took them 2 years to set up the Singapore redemption process, and they didn't think of the ways in which people might try to use the awards? Is this not some incompetence?
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:55 pm

A good example of modern day prisoner's dilemma where snitches end up throwing everybody into ditches. It occurs to me that AS could have easily restricted stopovers to only MVP Golds and 75Ks to reduce the opportunities for gamers and brokers to exploit the AS award charts. The FFP is designed to reward its own flyers and best customers, not the average joe looking for a cheap premium fare on partners. As a 75K, I don't like that this is not more of an exclusive club. It doesn't help that bloggers/influencers tend to shout from the rooftops about how cheap their award business class seat were, this much $ only, oh and here's a trick/sweet spot - if I were SQ, etc I would be annoyed and concerned that this could cannabalize my revenue customers. It's all in the language, and it can attract the wrong kind of attention - but these bloggers/influencers obviously do not care. Airlines don't want to know how cheap their premium seats are - and the more that these bloggers reinforce that notion, the faster the deals go away for everybody. Sam Chui is probably one of the worst in this regard, especially when he "teaches" people how to fly - I doubt he doesn't care about the wider airline community, he cares only about his own experiences on his own luxury trips, his chance to engage in borderline harassment flirtation with the female FAs, and driving traffic to his site/videos. He's certainly not alone. And seriously, the last thing I want as a J/F passenger is for someone behind me to be mumbling to his camera on a long-haul flight - it's disrespectful. I like people like Gary Leff and Lucky - they are more measured in their comments and behavior on board. Finally, I think AS needs to rein on mileage sales and further reduce limits for non-elite customers. Removing the 10 day minimum account opening rule was daft. I never thought that the SQ glitches on AS made sense, so I'm not upset about it. I'm more pissed with the JL devaluation - because I fly between US-Asia 6-8 times a year and on longer trips where I do need to stay in Asia for a few days, it helps to be able to stop in Tokyo over the weekend to catch up with my friends. The JL devaluation and the Basic Economy enhancement from last year add up to to a point where I am seriously re-considering my 75K status.
WesternCDN likes this.

Last edited by currentjer; Oct 16, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.