Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No CX Award Availability for HKG to SE Asia in July and August 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P

Hi there,

I am trying to find award availability for HKG to Southeast Asia (Bangkok, Siem Reap, Bali etc) for July and August 2020. There is no award availability including economy, business and first class for the entire summer. Does that mean it is too early to book award on Cathay or it is already too late to book? Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why would an airline offer award inventory when you travel within a peak season?
milypan likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This issue (lack of availability to SE Asian destinations ex HKG) has been covered extensively on other threads in this forum recently. Try research.

But basically, you need to hope that CX releases availability later on, also for partner awards like Avios.
kgkg likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kgkg
Hi there,

I am trying to find award availability for HKG to Southeast Asia (Bangkok, Siem Reap, Bali etc) for July and August 2020. There is no award availability including economy, business and first class for the entire summer. Does that mean it is too early to book award on Cathay or it is already too late to book? Thanks!
Did you try searching using CAN or TPE as origins? Sometimes this can trigger married segment availability, though there's also a good chance that they simply haven't opened any inventory for next summer yet. I wouldn't sweat this too much; worst case scenario, revenue tickets are often reasonably priced.
kgkg likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
as awards open 330 or 360days ahead, for peak season it might be too late

you can check again in 1wk prior to trip it sometimes open up

for places like BKK just buy....
moondog and kgkg like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are you attempting to book with Asia Miles or some partner currency, such as Avios?
Originally Posted by SK AAR
This issue (lack of availability to SE Asian destinations ex HKG) has been covered extensively on other threads in this forum recently. Try research.
Indeed it has.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to use Alaska miles to redeem JFK-HKG-any SE Asian cities. It surprises me to see HKG- Bali is close to USD$1000 RT next summer. Should I just redeem JFK-HKG now to have a peace of mind and pay later for a cheap HKG-SE Asian ticket? Thank you all for your informative response!
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

If the root cause of this question is related to CX not releasing award seat in Asian Miles, then this topic belongs here.

Last edited by sxc; Oct 8, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If the root cause of this question is related to CX not releasing award seat in Asian Miles, then this topic belongs here.
Actually, it is solely an AS issue. You have no control of what CX is releasing. So if you can't obtain a CX award seat from AS, it is an AS issue.

And again - award travel during peak season? It is going to be tough.
kgkg likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The root cause is what Cathay releases to partners, not Asia Miles. Award inventory can be released to AM without it going to partners (in fact this is a more common occurrence than in years past now that AM has been revamped as a program).

Doesn’t belong here. Try here (though there’s not much cure other than monitoring sites like BA/JL/QF).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...019-later.html
kgkg likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The response in question was unnecessarily snarky. Can we move back to substantive discussion now?

As for which forum this question belongs in, it's really mixed. CX does choose what it releases to partners, but the partner forum (e.g., BA) is really the best place to discuss issues relating to redemptions via that program.

What can be said definitively is that it's become difficult to redeem regional flights on CX using partner miles. CX does still make those flights available as part of a longer itinerary. So JFK-HKG-BKK may still be possible, while HKG-BKK often is not.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
As this thread is about redemption using Alaska miles, I'm moving this to the Alaska forum.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
This is a CX decision to invoke married segment logic on award bookings to south-east asia, Australia and NZ. It seems directly targetted at other One World partners and AS. It can be resolved by routing through TPE or CAN for AA awards or BA, but AS only allows awards originating in HKG direct to Australia, so effectively AS can no longer be used for any Australia award travel. QF seems to have totally given up on CX as a partner to/from Australia, and doesn't even search for CX for awards from TPE to Australia but uses China Air instead or MU.

It seems to me that CX is killing its opportunities as seats between HKG and ADL, PER and MEL are very often empty.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Hi there,

I am trying to use Alaska miles to redeem JFK-HKG-any SE Asian cities. It surprises me to see HKG- Bali is close to USD$1000 RT next summer. Should I just redeem JFK-HKG now to have a peace of mind and pay later for a cheap HKG-SE Asian ticket? Thank you all for your informative response!
I see quite a bit of married segment availability in that time frame. Are you looking for availability for a large family? How many are traveling? If you are looking for a stopover in HKG this will affect availability. No stopover - no problem.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I see quite a bit of married segment availability in that time frame. Are you looking for availability for a large family? How many are traveling? If you are looking for a stopover in HKG this will affect availability. No stopover - no problem.
Unfortunately, I need a stopover in Hong Kong. I guess I have to purchase separate tickets then. I have a big family of 6 to travel with me. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.