Wiki Posts
Search

Kudos Alaska Air

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Kudos Alaska Air

While checking my wife’s account today I discovered all her miles were missing. Upon calling we found her miles had expired due to lack of activity The friendly agent redeposited all her lost miles, without any fee..
RAD_PDX, pcoll and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I’ll be that person. I don’t agree with Alaska’s choice to reinstate the miles. A MileagePlan rule was triggered - no extreme circumstance has been provided - and not enforced. I don’t think that’s fair to other MileagePlan members.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
While checking my wife’s account today I discovered all her miles were missing. Upon calling we found her miles had expired due to lack of activity The friendly agent redeposited all her lost miles, without any fee..
What's the new expiration date, though? Was that extended 18 months or more?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
I’ll be that person. I don’t agree with Alaska’s choice to reinstate the miles.
Both AA and UA have programs in place to reinstate expired miles, so Alaska would not be alone there. The difference is that AA/UA require some money or flight bookings in a fixed period to get the miles back, versus just reinstating the miles outright. Surprised Alaska makes it so easy. I looked around and can't find any prior threads addressing Alaska's policy in this area. Have they done something like AA/UA in the past, or do you just write the miles off forever if you miss the expiration date?

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge
Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I’ll be that person. I don’t agree with Alaska’s choice to reinstate the miles. A MileagePlan rule was triggered - no extreme circumstance has been provided - and not enforced. I don’t think that’s fair to other MileagePlan members.
AS' policy is to reinstate miles up to one year after they have expired, for a fee. They don't publish the fee online, however, it is believed to be $75. In this case, they essentially just waived the $75. It's really not that big of a deal. Why would you be upset that they did that for someone?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
We need a ‘dislike’ button for posts like this.
OP, pleased you got a good result.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
We need a ‘dislike’ button for posts like this.
OP, pleased you got a good result.
Then the poster would dislike your post?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, United MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
UA recently instituted a policy where "Miles Never Expire" as does Delta and Jet Blue. Maybe AS is in the process of doing
the same, or just proactively matching the competition.
NoLaGent and CREN like this.

Last edited by pdxtraveller; Oct 6, 2019 at 5:18 am
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

You get my vote for the curmudgeon of the week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.