Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change an EK award ticket point of origin?

Old Oct 3, 19, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!

Okay, I think I know the answer to this question, but I thought I'd run it by you folks first:

I have two award tickets, on separate PNRs, on EK in biz class.
With the current sale on miles, I want to buy miles and then change those tickets to EK First.
But there are currently not enough First award seats available.
SO.
Can/will Alaska allow me to change the point of origin to, say, JFK or LAX or YYZ to snag available F class awards?

Is there any risk in attempting this that I have not considered?

Thanks for your tips, everyone.
Old Oct 3, 19, 1:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Legend717 View Post
Okay, I think I know the answer to this question, but I thought I'd run it by you folks first:

I have two award tickets, on separate PNRs, on EK in biz class.
With the current sale on miles, I want to buy miles and then change those tickets to EK First.
But there are currently not enough First award seats available.
SO.
Can/will Alaska allow me to change the point of origin to, say, JFK or LAX or YYZ to snag available F class awards?

Is there any risk in attempting this that I have not considered?

Thanks for your tips, everyone.
You can change the point of orgin but you will incur a $125 change fee if you don't have a fee waiver in addition to any additional fees & taxes.

Canceling your current award, paying the cancellation fee to redeposit your points and booking a new award would have the same effect.

James

ETA: The change fee applies to each PNR you are changing.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 3, 19 at 1:33 am
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
You can change the point of orgin but you will incur a $125 change fee if you don't have a fee waiver in addition to any additional fees & taxes.

Canceling your current award, paying the cancellation fee to redeposit your points and booking a new award would have the same effect.

James

ETA: The change fee applies to each PNR you are changing.
I'm MVPGold, so I'm thinking that fee may not apply. But I can go look that up.
Thanks you!
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Thanks you!
As Gold, you won't have a change/cancellation fee. If you aren't able to change your origin on the existing reservation (which seems unlikely), you'd just be out the partner booking fee, but the rep you speak with may waive it anyhow. You should have no issue, but the rep you speak with can advise you of any fees before you proceed to make changes.
Legend717 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:23 pm

Thanks you!
Then you are "Golden!" You will not be charged for changes or cancellations.

You may even be able to change your reservation online if you booked it yourself.

If you are changing your reservation you won't have to pay the $12.50 partner booking fee again. If you cancel after 24 hours and rebook, you will forfeit the $12.50 fee already paid and be charged again on the new reservation. I recently had it waived (offered, not asked for) on a BA redemption when BA refused space on a change and a new reservation had to be built. Another great AS customer service example.

Purchasing AS miles is usually instant but there have been some reports of lag time. Make sure you have all your Ducks in a Row before changing/cancelling your current reservation.

James.
Legend717 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K, HA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
There is one issue you should clarify with the MP rep before you try and start the changes. If you are just upgrading the tix from Biz to First on the same flight, you just add the additional points to cover the difference, no problem. Find out if you change the itinerary; point of origin; will they have to cancel, redeposit the points and re-book. Redepositing usually is immediate but they state it can take longer. While you are waiting for the redeposit to happen (if it's not immediate and sometimes even if it is) the tix you are trying to get could go to someone else and the biz seats you just cancelled could also be gone too. I know most people don't have enough miles, but the best way is to use miles to purchase the first class seats, then cancel and redeposit on the biz tix. I currently have 3 Emirates biz awards, 3 first seats came up (called and verified), purchased a few miles to make up the difference, MP rep was on the line waiting, asked her to do the upgrade. In those 2 minutes the seats had been purchased by some one else. BTW, Emirates First is amazing!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by thepinenuts View Post
BTW, Emirates First is amazing!
I couldn't agree more! AS can confirm and pull inventory into a reservation with an existing segment already in place even it it can't be ticketed. Once confirmed, the existing segment is cancelled/released and the resulting itinerary is validated per MP redemption rules then ticketed with the additional miles plus any additional fees & taxes.

AS could check for inventory MEL-HKG-ICN but they couldn't ticket it because MP dictates that the MEL-HKG segment terminates in HKG and a second award would be required for HKG-ICN.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: