Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Should I bring Durian fruits on board for my upcoming LAX - SEA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Long story short, my cousins in Seattle ask me to buy some fresh durian fruits when I visit them next month. This fruit has a very strong smell ( delicious or disgusting is totally subjective here lol ) , so strong that even Asian countries ike Thailand , Malaysia, Singapore banned them in hotel and buses. Will this be an issue when I put in my carry on bag?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by hondaman82
Long story short, my cousins in Seattle ask me to buy some fresh durian fruits when I visit them next month. This fruit has a very strong smell ( delicious or disgusting is totally subjective here lol ) , so strong that even Asian countries ike Thailand , Malaysia, Singapore banned them in hotel and buses. Will this be an issue when I put in my carry on bag?
I would be surprised if fresh Durian isn't available in the Seattle area. Calling Missydarlin !

I wouldn't suggest you bring it onboard. People will think there's a rotting corpse in the overhead bin.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
As long as you have it vacuum sealed, you'll be fine, otherwise, things like this happen:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46120507
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Are you looking to bring a whole fruit, not split open? When I was in Penang a few weeks ago I didn't think the fruit smelled that strong until it was cut open... granted I was in open air markets, not in a sealed aluminum tube

But man, that stuff does NOT keep once you open it. We bought one at the market and cracked it open, ate a bunch of it and the guy gave us little plastic tub for the remainder. We stuffed it in our hotel fridge and when we opened it up the next morning to grab some waters... WHOA... filled the room. We immediately tossed it in an outdoor trash so hopefully the smell would vacate before we left the next day

I think you can find it in Seattle in the right markets, maybe seasonally? I can't speak for the quality as I don't have much experience. Just had it the once in Penang and it was very interesting
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Dude, nooooooooooo!!! Lol
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It'll be an issue when you have to declare it at US Customs, and then you'll get inspected.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...cultural-items
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Yea... no. Don't do that.

Regards
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Should you bring it? No.
Will it be an issue? Maybe.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:09 pm

there's a reason why (fresh) durian is banned in many southeast asian transportation systems

don't bring it.

if it's processed (freeze dried, or in pastries), then maybe, depending on the pungency. I've brought durian-tarts, cakes, candies before - no smell until you open the air-tight container/pouch

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It'll be an issue when you have to declare it at US Customs, and then you'll get inspected.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...cultural-items
LAX-SEA, no US customs (though there may be states-side agriculture check)
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:12 pm

No... just no. Fresh durian is available in Seattle there is no reason to bring some.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
The public transport system in Singapore treats durian just like smoking a cigarette for a reason. Please just buy it in Seattle.

If I was flight crew and thought you had durian, I'd refuse you onto the plane just the same as if you had a weapon or drugs. Would try to get you banned from the airline, too, for the same reason.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Please don't do this! I'm sure I smelled (absolutely unmistakable) durian at the Uwajimaya in the Int'l District a few months ago.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
First you had a question about live lobsters and now this? Can you Google?
anniegray and wolfpacktrojan like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
And here I was thinking it was being brought in fresh from Asia... oops.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:18 pm

It's the equivalent of cooking fish in the office microwave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.