AA Partnership Effectively Ending 1 March 2020

Old Oct 2, 19, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
AA Partnership Effectively Ending 1 March 2020

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA
Effective March 1, 2020, there will be some important updates to our American Airlines partnership.

Partnership Details

What's changing, effective March 1, 2020:
  • You will no longer earn Mileage Plan miles on American Airlines international flights.
  • You will no longer be able to redeem miles for award travel on American Airlines domestic or international flights.
What's not changing:
  • You'll continue to earn a mile for every mile flown on eligible domestic American Airlines flights with an Alaska Airlines (AS) flight number to select key destinations in the Midwest and eastern US and Canada.
  • Alaska Lounge members can still access over 50 Admirals Club lounges worldwide when flying on an Alaska Airlines or American Airlines flight.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:16 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
this is horrible. how to get to any Canadian city, any Mexico city. just north America coverage is horrible.
not sure what my strategy is. i got 75 k mvpg status flying J class with AA, BA and others OW but since live in PDX, AS was logical choice. Not sure what to do next.
AS becomes nice small not so useful airline unless u fly just up and down the west coast
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVPG
Unfortunate, having AA for international flights was great since they publish interesting fares.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Well this isn't exactly unexpected. Glad we get to keep Admirals club access. I think you will also see a drop in the number of AS elites who earn their status on AA international flights (like the poster above). It doesn't really affect me since I try to avoid AA at all costs.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
This was just a matter of time, but still quite unfortunate. I see a lot more UA flying in my future.
TheDudeAbides and CREN like this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:32 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75k, IHG Spire Elite
Brutal. I assume this is AAís doing, why do they want to cut ties? From what I can tell they donít compete on many routes.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _fx View Post
Brutal. I assume this is AA’s doing, why do they want to cut ties? From what I can tell they don’t compete on many routes.
Basically because more AS flyers claim awards on AA than the other way around and because they do compete from California--especially on the former VX network. Why would AA want their customers--even those that fly them to accumulate the miles with AS? The partnership allows AS to poach some of their customers and doesn't really help AA all that much.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Basically because more AS flyers claim awards on AA than the other way around and because they do compete from California--especially on the former VX network. Why would AA want their customers--even those that fly them to accumulate the miles with AS? The partnership allows AS to poach some of their customers and doesn't really help AA all that much.
Right now AA is in aggressive self destruct mode.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsguyrus View Post
Right now AA is in aggressive self destruct mode.
That too Now they have 2 less partners to blame for their problems.
Jma12, buschoi, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:52 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75k, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Do the awards really hurt AA that much? There needs to be availability, and itís shared with other partners too, so itís not like AA is suddenly going to sell those seats for $$$.

Also, I assume itís a small slice of revenue, but some customers (like myself) probably book premium (high yield) tickets on AA because they earn AS miles. Those customers will go elsewhere.
TheDudeAbides and flatdawgs like this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _fx View Post
Do the awards really hurt AA that much? There needs to be availability, and it’s shared with other partners too, so it’s not like AA is suddenly going to sell those seats for $$$.

Also, I assume it’s a small slice of revenue, but some customers (like myself) probably book premium (high yield) tickets on AA because they earn AS miles. Those customers will go elsewhere.
AA already had limited award availability and now AS customers won't be competing for those seats. So it does have some impact. It also enables AA to limit Mileage Plan as an effective marketing tool to solely those on the West Coast. Anybody that needs to fly within the East Coast or Midwest just lost any ability to claim an award or earn miles through AS. Thus anybody not based on the West Coast using Mileage Plan as a bank for their miles will have to be open to go elsewhere and perhaps some of them will end up at AA.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
I avoid AA at all cost so this doesnít impact me to much. With the club access I wonder if that will be cut once the agreement is up for renewal. That would be a pretty big blow if AS lost that.
Old Oct 2, 19, 10:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
So much for any speculation on AS joining oneworld as a connect member, lol. I hate AA and try to avoid it all costs, but like the loss of domestic AA earning and the loss of all Delta earning before that, the AS program seems to be shrinking in its flexibility. Still great if you live and travel in AS territory, but beyond that? Some sweetspots for earning and redemption but hardly a true global network.
BearX220 and Jma12 like this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 10:03 am

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
I avoid AA at all cost so this doesnít impact me to much. With the club access I wonder if that will be cut once the agreement is up for renewal. That would be a pretty big blow if AS lost that.
Same here and I expect that to unravel at some point too. I would guess that they'll likely give a 1 year notice on cutting that given the AL/AC membership terms.
Old Oct 2, 19, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
So much for any speculation on AS joining oneworld as a connect member, lol. I hate AA and try to avoid it all costs, but like the loss of domestic AA earning and the loss of all Delta earning before that, the AS program seems to be shrinking in its flexibility. Still great if you live and travel in AS territory, but beyond that? Some sweetspots for earning and redemption but hardly a true global network.
Does anyone really join Alaska Mileage Plan expecting a global network?

Search this Thread