Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance issue on EK J, booked with AS miles

Old Sep 18, 19, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Mileage Plus, Aeroplan, SPG

Hi all- wondering if anyone can help.

For background, Iíve travelled a couple of times on EK between DXB and North America on J booked with AS miles, and each time my baggage allowance has been EKís regular J allowance of 32kg x 2 bags. I booked my sister as recently as May as well on same route, and she used her baggage allowance with no problems.

Iíve booked her again on a flight from BEY-DXB-JFK, and this time while she was talking to a call center agent, they told her her baggage allowance is 23kg x 2 as that is what the Ďsystemí is showing her. She HUCAíed and was told same thing by two other agents.

Iím on the phone now as well with EK, and they are saying the same thing, claiming because it is non Skywards redemption that is why. Iím disagreeing with that as that is contrary to my recent experiences and Iím asking for where that is the case in EKís rules (as that is the only reference made to in the ticket) and they too are have a tough time finding it.

Just curious if anyone has experienced this in the past where the call center agents say something contrary to what the experience with the baggage allowance has been. If it was just me, I wouldnít worry about that and just show up- but because itís my sister and since sheís moving permanently to the US, the baggage situation is actually very important.
Old Sep 18, 19, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For a ticket destined to the US, the allowance for the marketing carrier is the allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment. The marketing carrier is AS.

This is not to suggest that EK is prohibited for providing its allowance and bag waivers if they are greater, but the inference here is that EK has stopped that.

In any event, she should be able to see her baggage allowance on her e-ticket receipt. What does that specify?
Old Sep 18, 19, 8:09 am
Original Poster

The Alaska confirmation refers to ĎEmirates Airlines rules and fees apply for this itinerary. See the [font]Emirates Airlines [/font]website for details and exceptions.í when talking about checked baggage.

The EK ticket simply says two pieces with two asterisk next to it, but no footnote on what that means.

I know EK has cut some benefits of award redemptions (i.e chauffeur service), but that was applied to all redemptions I believe (not just partner airlines), and also was properly announced. I donít recall hearing anything in recent months about baggage allowance on non EK mike tickets
Old Sep 18, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
For a ticket destined to the US, the allowance for the marketing carrier is the allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment. The marketing carrier is AS.
Alaska is not the marketing carrier. The marketing carrier is EK, because the flights are booked under EK code.
Old Sep 18, 19, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
Alaska is not the marketing carrier. The marketing carrier is EK, because the flights are booked under EK code.
I was actually thinking that too - but who am I to argue with a 42,000+ poster
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
The ticket is issued on AS ticket stock. AS is marketing a native EK flight number as part of the Partner agreement with Emirates for mileage redemptions.

I flew an 8 segment itinerary comprised of multiple airlines from multiple alliances on KE, QF, LA, EK & CX. All flights we're native flight numbers. The entire itinerary was marketed by LA and was comprised of 3 PNRs.

UA can even market an AS codeshare flight operated by AA.

An EK flight number does not mean it was marketed by EK.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Sep 19, 19 at 4:49 am
Old Sep 19, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
The ticket is issued on AS ticket stock. AS is marketing a native EK flight number as part of the Partner agreement with Emirates for mileage redemptions.

I flew an 8 segment itinerary comprised of multiple airlines from multiple alliances on KE, QF, LA, EK & CX. All flights we're native flight numbers. The entire itinerary was marketed by LA and was comprised of 3 PNRs.

UA can even market an AS codeshare flight operated by AA.

An EK flight number does not mean it was marketed by EK.

James
You are entirely incorrect. Marketing carrier has a very specific definition in the airline industry - it refers to, in a codeshare agreement which carrier's code is on the flight. The carrier you are referring to (the carrier which issues the ticket in an interline agreement) is known as the plating carrier.

See, for example, what HA has published on the topic: Codeshare Overview
Codesharing is when one airline (the "marketing carrier") puts its two-letter airline code on another airline’s flight (the "operating carrier"). The marketing carrier is able to sell seats on the operating carrier’s flight, and provide additional flight options to their customers.
And the definition for plating carrier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlining
When a ticket is issued for an interline itinerary, one of the airlines in that itinerary will be selected by the ticketing agent as the issuing airline, commonly referred to as the "plating carrier."
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Alaska is the ticketing carrier.

Emirates is the marketing carrier.

Emirates is the operating carrier.
PVDtoDEL likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:18 pm

You are entirely incorrect. Marketing carrier has a very specific definition in the airline industry - it refers to, in a codeshare agreement which carrier's code is on the flight. The carrier you are referring to (the carrier which issues the ticket in an interline agreement) is known as the plating carrier.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected. Thinking about it again, it does make sense.

When a ticket is issued for an interline itinerary, one of the airlines in that itinerary will be selected by the ticketing agent as the issuing airline, commonly referred to as the "plating carrier."

Would EK not be considered the issuing airline on an interline itinerary that is exclusively on EK? AS would be the "ticketing agent," correct? As per the explanation, how could AS also be the the issuing airline if it isn't part of the itinerary?

It makes sense that AS is the ticketing agent as they are issuing the ticket for the interline itinerary but it seems contradictory that they are also the issuing airline. Does AS, as the ticketing agent, select itself as the issuing airline because it is on their own ticket stock regardless of whether or not there is an AS segment in the interline itinerary?

Thanks,

James
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:24 pm

ticketing carrier and plating carrier are synonymous - it means the airline whose plate is the first 3 digits of the ticket number. For example, 027 for AS.
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:52 pm

ticketing carrier and plating carrier are synonymous - it means the airline whose plate is the first 3 digits of the ticket number. For example, 027 for AS.
Thanks, the quote introduced "ticketing agent" and plating carrier assignment which seems contradictory.

Nonetheless, I very much enjoyed the 5 J segments LA sold me for $200 each. The next time around they went up to an astronomically high $300 each.

James

Search this Thread