Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cancel or skip last segment for one person on two person itinerary?

Old Sep 13, 19, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Did a search but couldn't find anything addressing my situation:

Flying to Hawaii on a Alaska Visa companion pass fare with another family member. On the return flight home, we are connecting through PDX with a long layover (9 hrs).

I have a meeting in Tacoma that came up after booking for that night, so I would like to skip the segment home for myself and drive up to Tacoma.

My questions:
1. Would Alaska allow me to modify my ticket (cancel the last segment) without a fee or impacting the other person who will still be travelling to our final destination?
2. I know I could just not fly the last segment, but I'm concerned my companions baggage might be impacted since we are on the same itinerary. Would they pull the bags?
3. Other issues I should consider?

Appreciate your expertise on this situation. Have flown a lot, but never skipped a return segment before.
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jbarm View Post
Did a search but couldn't find anything addressing my situation:

Flying to Hawaii on a Alaska Visa companion pass fare with another family member. On the return flight home, we are connecting through PDX with a long layover (9 hrs).

I have a meeting in Tacoma that came up after booking for that night, so I would like to skip the segment home for myself and drive up to Tacoma.

My questions:
1. Would Alaska allow me to modify my ticket (cancel the last segment) without a fee or impacting the other person who will still be travelling to our final destination?
2. I know I could just not fly the last segment, but I'm concerned my companions baggage might be impacted since we are on the same itinerary. Would they pull the bags?
3. Other issues I should consider?

Appreciate your expertise on this situation. Have flown a lot, but never skipped a return segment before.
Who is the primary passenger and who is the companion? The primary passenger can travel without the companion but the companion "cannot" travel without the primary passenger. If you are the primary passenger and want to terminate in PDX, the family member cannot travel onward without you.

James
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

I'm primary, so if I didn't board the last segment my companion can't board?

Don't both tickets have validity? If my companion boards and I don't will they get on the plane and pull them off?
Old Sep 15, 19, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K

Don't both tickets have validity? If my companion boards and I don't will they get on the plane and pull them off?
my experience was with TWA in 1986, but the answer was YES ... the companion ticket has an endorsement reading “Valid only in conjunction with < primary passenger’s ticket number >
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

As a follow up, looks like I am out of luck if I want to not take the last segment. Customer service said my companion wouldn't be allowed to fly without me on the last segment for "Security Reasons".

They did offer to rebook me for $400 in change fees to make it work.

A bit disappointed, as Alaska has always been so flexible when I've had problems in the past. One would think not taking a last leg with no need to change to another flight would be so difficult for them to allow.
Old Sep 19, 19, 4:41 pm

As a follow up, looks like I am out of luck if I want to not take the last segment. Customer service said my companion wouldn't be allowed to fly without me on the last segment for "Security Reasons".

They did offer to rebook me for $400 in change fees to make it work.

A bit disappointed, as Alaska has always been so flexible when I've had problems in the past. One would think not taking a last leg with no need to change to another flight would be so difficult for them to allow.
They are pretty much to the policy on Companion certificates. Do you have Elite Status? How was the $400 calculated? If you don't have a change fee waiver, changing the itinerary for both of you to PDX would be $250 ($125 each) plus any fare differential and then the cost of the ownward flight for the companion.

Did they entertain swapping you to be the companion? If they would allow that, the companion would then be the primary traveler and could travel on without you.

James
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
What about dropping the last leg and buying your companion a new ticket PDX-home destination. How much is that?

Or you could swap boarding passes and hope no one notices. Might be an issue if opposite sex and names are gender specific.
PVDtoDEL and fti like this.
Old Sep 21, 19, 2:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Or you could swap boarding passes and hope no one notices. Might be an issue if opposite sex and names are gender specific.
Do not do this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've had my companion take off without me before. I even watched the A/C push back... thankfully I was able to get on a plane leaving an hour later. I don't recommend this however- caused some big issues.
Old Sep 23, 19, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
I've had my companion take off without me before. I even watched the A/C push back... thankfully I was able to get on a plane leaving an hour later. I don't recommend this however- caused some big issues.
AS was gracious for me. The primary was returning home without the companion who wasn't physically fit to fly commercial. I called AS to advise the companion wouldn't be flying and to book myself on the same flight. AS simply changed the companions name on the PNR to mine and made me the primary. My benefits kicked in and I didn't have to purchase an extra ticket for myself. Awesome service.

James
spamman808 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

It's not so much that the companion cannot board the flight but that the companion will be pulled off the flight if you don't board by the time the GA wants to close the door. IMO being asked to leave would seem worse than being denied boarding at the gate.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

The switch of me from primary to companion worked.

I was informed by my third agent that the primary can fly without me on the last leg.

So, in other words, I can skip the last leg on my trip and my flying companion (changed to primary on the reservation) will be able to fly without me.

Thanks for the great tip!

jb

Search this Thread