FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Anyone had to change award ticket due to BA strike this week? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1987162-anyone-had-change-award-ticket-due-ba-strike-week.html)

kileysmom Sep 13, 2019 11:17 am

Anyone had to change award ticket due to BA strike this week?

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can share any experience of re-booking award seats held for the strike days earlier this week. I have a couple of fairly tight and important (like weddings) trips booked in October and November using AS miles for BA seats so am trying to gather information and be prepared if I need to start re-booking. Thought it was worked out when the BA forum said the London City pilots weren't going to be striking but, it turns out, the JFK flights aren't included in that and I changed to using the JFK/LCY flight for one of mine. Not so bright after all maybe! Anyway, if anyone has some experience and can share what they did, what AS did and what BA did, I'd be very grateful! I'm also asking this on the BA forum but those folks, of course, aren't likely to be booking seats with AS miles.

Finkface Sep 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom (Post 31521655)
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can share any experience of re-booking award seats held for the strike days earlier this week. I have a couple of fairly tight and important (like weddings) trips booked in October and November using AS miles for BA seats so am trying to gather information and be prepared if I need to start re-booking. Thought it was worked out when the BA forum said the London City pilots weren't going to be striking but, it turns out, the JFK flights aren't included in that and I changed to using the JFK/LCY flight for one of mine. Not so bright after all maybe! Anyway, if anyone has some experience and can share what they did, what AS did and what BA did, I'd be very grateful! I'm also asking this on the BA forum but those folks, of course, aren't likely to be booking seats with AS miles.

You should go over to the BA forum and read the thread there. I posted about my experience after having an AS-booked BA flight canceled due to the strike here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31452741-post748.html and here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31453028-post756.html

But the people on the BA forum are pure gold when it comes to help. So have a read of the thread (and my experience) and post any questions you have afterwards over there. They are the ones to help you.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...10-27-sep.html

kileysmom Sep 13, 2019 8:45 pm

Thanks so much, Finkface! I started out on the BA forum...they are really fun over there, I must say. A daily read of the DYKWIA thread is a must! I decided I simply had too much on my plate right now to get tense over all of this and called the Gold line asking for help. Those folks are just top notch! Okay I'm travelling for an extra day but they got me rebooked out of here (ANC) to London Stansted via LAX and DXB in Emirates business...got all my BA "fees" back and paid Emirates something like a decent lunch in fees. There were a few more miles involved but I'm not miles poor. While it seems a crazy routing, it's actually an easy run...I've done it several times just for the pleasure of Emirates F and am not at all worried about the J product on Emirates. And all this to see an NFL game in London! I'm am a die hard and devoted Tampa Bay fan and have been waiting for a Bucs London game I could actually attend (they've played there twice before) ever since the NFL started playing there when I lived in London.

Thanks for your help! KM

progapanda Sep 15, 2019 10:03 pm

If these changes give you greater peace of mind, then by all means do the right thing for you. However, BA pilots announced specific strike dates well in advance (September 27 is the only next date), with no other industrial action (currently) expected for October or November.

TProphet Sep 19, 2019 11:58 am

That's an expensive and out-of-the-way routing for a not-great product. Did the agent check whether Aer Lingus has availability to Dublin with your points? Very cheap flight over to London from there and it's a much more direct routing, especially if you can get on the flight from Seattle or SFO.

kileysmom Sep 19, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi, TProphet, I'm not sure why you think Emirates is a not-so-good product....and Aer Lingus is more than double the miles with the added fare to London as well....while I haven't done Emirates in Business, their F product is terrific and lives up to the gorgeous descriptions on their website so it's easy to think their business product will as well...crazy as it may seem, i don't actually mind the long way around and have now re-booked the return to get away from BA and ia DXB again. Let's put it this way.....the whole darn trip is a crazy idea and going to and from via Dubai is just that bit crazier......who's calling the little men in the white coats? ;-) The BA strikes are on a 14 day notice system....anytime upto 14 days before a flight, a strike could be announced. The pilots' union has said they will try to avoid the UK half term (tends to be the last half of October) so as not to ruin long held family holiday plans but that's about all they've said so far Yesterday they cancelled the strike for 27/9 and the hope, of course, is that this means BA and BALPA are coming closer to resolving this.....there are a number of folks over on the BA forum, however, who think this may be a long ordeal. My decision was that I wouldn't regret changing from BA J to Emirates J and from BA F to Emirates F (outbound and inbound) if the BA flights operate and I wouldn't have the stress of wondering up to 2 weeks before travel. Nope, haven't done much day trading in my life, either!