Swap My Upgrade Seat in F With Spouse?

Old Sep 12, 19, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Swap My Upgrade Seat in F With Spouse?

Hey all, my wife and I flying out on the red eye from OGG-SEA tomorrow...by way of a few more segments as I start working toward making 75k again. Well, my wife is stopping in SEA and I'm continuing on to be back later in the day (We will meet up later). Since I'm doing a mileage run we are on separate tickets. As a 75k I got the upgrade and she (a Gold) did not. Feeling kinda bad, and I'm going to do nothing but sleep anyway. Is it poor form to swap out so she can sit up front? Thanks for the feedback.
Old Sep 12, 19, 4:00 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by spamman808 View Post
Feeling kinda bad, and I'm going to do nothing but sleep anyway. Is it poor form to swap out so she can sit up front?
Is it a faux pas to switch for the entirety of a flight? No. Just don't swap mid-flight.

And, in my experience, when I've given a friend my upgraded seat, the FA has explicitly given me a drink. (This is above and beyond anything they are supposed to do. Maybe my friends asked, but I think it's usually the result of a conversation as to how my gender changed from what is on the manifest.)
Old Sep 12, 19, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by spamman808 View Post
Hey all, my wife and I flying out on the red eye from OGG-SEA tomorrow...by way of a few more segments as I start working toward making 75k again. Well, my wife is stopping in SEA and I'm continuing on to be back later in the day (We will meet up later). Since I'm doing a mileage run we are on separate tickets. As a 75k I got the upgrade and she (a Gold) did not. Feeling kinda bad, and I'm going to do nothing but sleep anyway. Is it poor form to swap out so she can sit up front? Thanks for the feedback.
No. It is the gentleman's obligation to do so. No faux pas.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody will care. Simply make certain that your wife informs the FA. As others note, don't expect to move between cabins and if one must, make it from F to Y and not forward.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I thought this thread would involve a cute anecdote about somebody's elderly father making an amusing air travel mistake. Instead it's a just another butchering of the French language. What a disappointment
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I thought this thread would involve a cute anecdote about somebody's elderly father making an amusing air travel mistake. Instead it's a just another butchering of the French language. What a disappointment
I didn't get this, (and have a moderate understanding of French), so off I went to Google what I was missing in relation to a "faux pas". As I typed the last character into Google I understood
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I thought the story would be about some guy trying to board early when the GA calls families traveling with small children, or maybe some guy trying to traffic a kid.
etiene and Red L like this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
No. It is the gentleman's obligation to do so. No faux pas.
It's a nice thing to do for one's spouse. Any kind of obligation or relationship to a passenger's gender seems woefully out of date.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:15 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
If it was me, the CEO ( ie the wife ) gets the upgrade.

Reminds me of a brief time period where I was traveling weekly to China, sadly economy ( yes I was 1K UA ) so I got PE, alway got the first bulheak or exit row to get as confy as I could.
My son just started a new gig and his company was known big spender and he always got business. I joked we should fly the same plane/flight so he could give up his nice business class to his dad. He responded let me know which flight so I can make sure I'm not on that flight. The reality was we never did ever end up on the same flight in 6 months of overlap.

As to changing, I would say it shouldn't matter who is in the seat, somebody paid for it. I've seen people swap out midflight in TPAC, didn't see any complaints or FA block. I could see it as both disruptive and a bit overboard double dip if you and your partner changed out multiple times to exploit the unlimited drinks / snacks upfront, LOL

Last edited by chipmaster; Sep 12, 19 at 10:22 am
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Thanks for the replies...apologies for my terrible spelling!
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:37 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
If it was me, the CEO ( ie the wife ) gets the upgrade.

Reminds me of a brief time period where I was traveling weekly to China, sadly economy ( yes I was 1K UA ) so I got PE, alway got the first bulheak or exit row to get as confy as I could.
My son just started a new gig and his company was known big spender and he always got business. I joked we should fly the same plane/flight so he could give up his nice business class to his dad. He responded let me know which flight so I can make sure I'm not on that flight. The reality was we never did ever end up on the same flight in 6 months of overlap.

As to changing, I would say it shouldn't matter who is in the seat, somebody paid for it. I've seen people swap out midflight in TPAC, didn't see any complaints or FA block. I could see it as both disruptive and a bit overboard double dip if you and your partner changed out multiple times to exploit the unlimited drinks / snacks upfront, LOL
Employers who are paying for the business class ticket would consider it improper for the employee to give it to some other individual. The purpose of the extra expense is to enable the employee to work during the flight and/or to be in better condition for business obligations upon arrival.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Employers who are paying for the business class ticket would consider it improper for the employee to give it to some other individual. The purpose of the extra expense is to enable the employee to work during the flight and/or to be in better condition for business obligations upon arrival.
That's why I only give my seat to my wife when we are traveling home
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:08 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 75K
My wife, daughter and I are on same flights maybe 8-10 flights per year. It is an unwritten rule that we swap if not all in FC.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:16 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
Reason enough to never travel with one’s wife.
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:54 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
LOL, you never heard happy wife means happy husband and that take priority over everything else. Traveling mostly in economy as long as I had aisle, at least for me personally business or economy I can hit the ground running, others need to decide if spouse or your personal 14 hours takes precedence.

Search this Thread