Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Not showing on premium class upgrade list for Airbus flight?

Old Sep 9, 19, 3:45 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

I booked a flight today, Boeing on the way out and Airbus on the way back. My reservation shows me on the first class waitlist for both, but on the premium class upgrade list only for the outbound Boeing leg. The Airbus plane has premium class as the seat map wants to charge me to sit in premium seats.

I messaged reservations about this and they said they could see it too and couldn't do anything about it. Also said "we have been having some issues with waitlisting that are supposed to be fixed this October so I have to assume that's what's going on".

Anyone else having trouble getting added to the upgrade list for premium class on Airbus flights? Or on flights in general?

Neil
Old Sep 9, 19, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I have two flights showing the same thing, both are on Airbus equipment that have not been refurbished to have the larger PE section. Shows I'm on the wait list for first, but no indicator for premium.

Most the rest of my currently booked flights I'm either already in PE or F so hard to compare.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
I've recently selected Premium seats for a few flights on non-reconfigured 320/321 equipment where the confirmation letter doesn't indicate "Premium Class seat has been selected for this flight" ... I'm continuing to monitor the seat maps as the travel dates approach to make sure I don't get shuffled out of those seats (except for upgrades to F, of course)
Old Sep 9, 19, 4:25 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nearlysober View Post
I have two flights showing the same thing, both are on Airbus equipment that have not been refurbished to have the larger PE section. Shows I'm on the wait list for first, but no indicator for premium.

Most the rest of my currently booked flights I'm either already in PE or F so hard to compare.
I tend to avoid the Airbus flights so I'm not super familiar with the layout, but it looks like mine only has four rows of PE so I assume it's a pre-refurbish too.
Old Sep 9, 19, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
I tend to avoid the Airbus flights so I'm not super familiar with the layout, but it looks like mine only has four rows of PE so I assume it's a pre-refurbish too.
nope, that's the new config --12F, 24 PE ... the VX config on the 319/320 was 8F, 12/18 respectively Premium (bulkhead and exit row(s)); the 321 was 8F/18 Premium
jjmadison likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 4:39 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Huh. So there goes that theory about pre- vs post-refurbish being the reason.
Old Sep 9, 19, 4:43 pm

But - airbus does seem to be a common thread. I brought up the issue briefly in the "flame free" thread a couple weeks ago and at least one other user, safari ari, confirmed the same on an airbus.
missamo80 and safari ari like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

placeholder seat map? and I think someone mentioned that the post-mod 321s will have 16F?
Old Sep 9, 19, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
nope, that's the new config --12F, 24 PE ... the VX config on the 319/320 was 8F, 12/18 respectively Premium (bulkhead and exit row(s)); the 321 was 8F/18 Premium
Under VX, Row 16 (I'm using the current numberings not the VX numberings) actually wasn't Main Cabin Select, only Rows 6 and 17 were. Presumably because Row 16 has no recline.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Marriott Platinum and Chairman's Club
Was on a flight out of Ontario on Saturday, and had to call four separate times to try to get on the waitlist. It wasn't until I was at the gate and heard a Gold and her traveling companion get upgraded that I was manually placed on the list, and got the last upgrade. It's just one of those Alaska foibles....
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s View Post
Under VX, Row 16 (I'm using the current numberings not the VX numberings) actually wasn't Main Cabin Select, only Rows 6 and 17 were. Presumably because Row 16 has no recline.
Iíll agree with you on the 319 which only has one overwing exit, but on the 320 (which has two) I have always seen ó and occasionally had to select, even on a redeye ó Row 16 as Premium
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Iíll agree with you on the 319 which only has one overwing exit, but on the 320 (which has two) I have always seen ó and occasionally had to select, even on a redeye ó Row 16 as Premium
Right, Alaska has it as Premium, but VX didn't.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s View Post
Eurynom0s is correct.
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:13 pm

Seating charts are a bit off subject, but AS publishes their own guide including before/after retrofit seat maps on their fleet page.

Anyway - regardless of seat maps - all AS planes (except Q400's) have Premium Economy., even the old Airbus where it's the exit rows.
You would expect to see the notification that you're wait lsted for both First, and Premium Economy if you're seated in standard economy.

On two upcoming Airbus flights where I am in standard economy - that notification is missing. The other 11 flights I currently have booked I'm already in Premium or First so I don't have any other "standard economy" flights to compare with, but it seems very likely it's related to Airbus planes based on other people's input.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
There seems to be a lot of issues all of a sudden (again) regarding upgrades to both first and premium. I have been following it here and also on Reddit. The overall theme seems to be AS is in the process of getting new software that is supposed to "fix everything" in the world of upgrades. Until that is up and running upgrades are pretty much a mess.

Search this Thread