Downgrade my Mileage Run?

Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold100K
Downgrade my Mileage Run?

I had purchased myself a nice first class mileage run for the first week of November under $1000 bucks to make it to 75K this year, ANC-LAX-PDX-ANC, home in time for dinner and needing the 1.75x EQM bonus to get over the finish line. Of course, now there's a good chance I have an ANC - East Coast work trip added in mid-November. The two trips would be 9 days apart. Work buys non-refundable tickets, so I'm unlikely to get an EQM fare class bonus and will still need most of the mileage run but only at 1X miles.

First question: if I leave my mileage run reservation alone, will my 75K process in time to make a difference for upgrades (and mileage bonuses) on the work trip starting 9 days later?

Second question: regardless of whether 75K would process in time for the next trip or not, would you downgrade the mileage run to coach? Saves about $480 and there are still lots of exit row seats (my non-first preference). Obviously if it's going to make a difference for potential upgrades going to the east coast and back, that's more incentive to keep things as-is.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Your run should post within 7 days... and it sounds like its a single day run. So the miles should post, and your status should update, before your work trip.

However, if it takes the 7 day maximum, there's a chance you'll already be well into the upgrade windows before your 75K status reflects. That could hurt your chances of getting upgraded.

If you're sure that the work trip is going to happen and that your miles will make the cut then I'm not sure I'd gamble $480 for effectively just a chance at an upgrade on that work trip.
That money could be put towards a trip (or trips) in 2020 with 75K status.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP downgrades, does AS charge a ticket change fee? If so, the savings could be less than $480, even if cheap coach fare classes are available. Many carriers don't charge a service fee to upgrade by paying the fare difference, but I've never heard of this for a downgrade; often changing the fare class does invoke the feel if it's not a movement to a higher cabin. I also would expect the difference to be paid in vouchers rather than as a refund since a cheap FC ticket is likely to be nonrefundable (and original fare restrictions tend to be carried forward when a ticket is modified).
kamala79 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Although OP didn't explicitly state his level of status, since he's going for 75K in November, he'll have reached MVPG (if not now, at least before the flight) which means he will have no change fees with AS.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the OP downgrades, does AS charge a ticket change fee? If so, the savings could be less than $480, even if cheap coach fare classes are available. Many carriers don't charge a service fee to upgrade by paying the fare difference, but I've never heard of this for a downgrade; often changing the fare class does invoke the feel if it's not a movement to a higher cabin. I also would expect the difference to be paid in vouchers rather than as a refund since a cheap FC ticket is likely to be nonrefundable (and original fare restrictions tend to be carried forward when a ticket is modified).
Since OP is on track for 75K with that mileage run, I'd presume they're currently Gold (also looks like it from their profile), waiving change fees. Money would come back as wallet funds for future travel on AS.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:24 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
OP's profile says they are MVPG, so no change fee.

What if you cancelled the run altogether and put the money towards upgrading your work trip? If that gets you the miles you need, you could save flying time and enjoy a more comfortable transcon flight.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _fx
What if you cancelled the run altogether and put the money towards upgrading your work trip? If that gets you the miles you need, you could save flying time and enjoy a more comfortable transcon flight.
I'm MVPG, so no change fees. I loved this solution, which didn't even cross my mind because my brain has been programmed to avoid all additional perceived aggravation for our admin staff. Unfortunately, the difference between the work fare and paid F round-trip is far more expensive than the $900 I'd save cancelling the mileage run (at least for any flight I would actually want and that wouldn't create more admin hassle by extending my time in travel status).
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by kamala79
... my brain has been programmed to avoid all additional perceived aggravation for our admin staff. Unfortunately, the difference between the work fare and paid F round-trip is far more expensive than the $900 I'd save cancelling the mileage run (at least for any flight I would actually want and that wouldn't create more admin hassle by extending my time in travel status).
F one way, and a mini-run (perhaps ANC-PDX-ANC, or a couple of ANC-FAI-ANC turns -- probably on the same plane -- at 3 hours and ~$150 each) to fill the gap?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
F one way, and a mini-run (perhaps ANC-PDX-ANC, or a couple of ANC-FAI-ANC turns -- probably on the same plane -- at 3 hours and ~$150 each) to fill the gap?
And thanks for making the whole thread pointless. I forgot to add an upcoming ANC-MidCon trip when calculating my mileage needs. Doh. With a work intrastate trip added since I started this thread plus the East Coast trip, I'll only need ANC-FAI to make 75K! No day of movies, I mean working to LAX and back, but $750 back in the wallet.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
glad I could help

safe travels; maybe we’ll cross paths when you’re transiting SEA
kamala79 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by kamala79
And thanks for making the whole thread pointless. I forgot to add an upcoming ANC-MidCon trip when calculating my mileage needs. Doh. With a work intrastate trip added since I started this thread plus the East Coast trip, I'll only need ANC-FAI to make 75K! No day of movies, I mean working to LAX and back, but $750 back in the wallet.
Be sure to stop at HooDoo for a brew > And get some Thai Food too

Agree with what's described FAI should be a solid option.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
glad I could help

safe travels; maybe we’ll cross paths when you’re transiting SEA
Never hurts to be reminded to pay attention I'll be in the North Terminal eating new delicious things.

Originally Posted by beckoa
Be sure to stop at HooDoo for a brew > And get some Thai Food too

Agree with what's described FAI should be a solid option.
If this East Coast trip goes through, there's an itinerary home through LAX that will put me over the top without any extra trip. Although FAI Thai is pretty amazing. I've been straying from my first love, Lemongrass, for Spice It Up though. Very solid Indian lunch, get the made to order naan!

Thanks all!
PaperGlider likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.