Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

PDX diversions (9/9/19) due to F18 landing [Open again]

Old Sep 9, 19, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Around 11 AM PDT, a F18 had an "emergency" landing at PDX. They deployed a cable to help stop the aircraft, and ended up being shut down for about 30 minutes.

I was on (and am still on) AS130 ANC-PDX that diverted to SEA. We did hold for 15-20 minutes, but ended up in SEA.

Finally taxiing for PDX again.

Saw a DL A/C did make it to RDM from a SEA-PDX flight- imagine there's a lot of AS/QX/OO out of position right now too due to this. Add in severe congestion in SEA due to low ceilings... so much for my 6 hour connection to go see PDX today
Old Sep 9, 19, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I

Might be the culprit aircraft:

Last edited by beckoa; Sep 9, 19 at 7:21 pm
Old Sep 9, 19, 5:28 pm

I saw runway 21 landings from work today and wondered what was up with it. (didn't have time to listen to ATC or ATIS)
Old Sep 9, 19, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Around 11 AM PDT, a F18 had an "emergency" landing at PDX. They deployed a cable to help stop the aircraft, and ended up being shut down for about 30 minutes.

I was on (and am still on) AS130 ANC-PDX that diverted to SEA. We did hold for 15-20 minutes, but ended up in SEA.

Finally taxiing for PDX again.

Saw a DL A/C did make it to RDM from a SEA-PDX flight- imagine there's a lot of AS/QX/OO out of position right now too due to this. Add in severe congestion in SEA due to low ceilings... so much for my 6 hour connection to go see PDX today
PDX is home to the 142nd wing, Oregon Air National Guard, and back when I worked at PDX, this would happen with OANG F-15's about every 6 months, they are old!
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I was on AS2599 PDX-YVR and we were stuck at the gate for about 30 extra minutes. Saw the plane on the runway with some vehicles, but the pilot never mentioned what it was, so I'm only learning about it here. We, along with a bunch of other AS and WN planes, got a rare south departure on the N/S runway.

Search this Thread