Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Club Soda Temporarily Removed From Catering Due to "Exploding" Cans (September, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Soda Temporarily Removed From Catering Due to "Exploding" Cans (September, 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
No club soda also with exploding can explanation on MKE to SEA now
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
If this isn't fixed soon, do the convenience stores in the airports sell club soda water to take on board? I may look around.

Asked Dr. Science. Cans will swell first before bursting. As when anyone accidentally freezes a can, the concave bottom of the cans will most often push out before the can reaches a pressure at which it will burst. This swelling instead of bursting first isn't always the case. If the can that is frozen is flawed or frozen unevenly or too fast ( in a -40 degree freezer for example). Cans, lids, or the attachment of the lids to the cans can be flawed. Bursting of a flawed can would be at an even lower pressure than normal can failures and not as spectacular event. Reference: the internet, reddit, experience, thin air.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Plenty of seltzer water loaded on AS203 ORD-SFO this morning, no problems! 🙂
LIH Prem and PaperGlider like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Lacking on DCA-SEA this morning. Had a good laugh with the FA about how 'physics' might be at play. Settled for iced coffee.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
They've had soda water on the planes for years, and "suddenly" they start exploding? What's different?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Lacking on DCA-SEA this morning. Had a good laugh with the FA about how 'physics' might be at play. Settled for iced coffee.
Wait a second, that is an option? As In, it isn't just the hot coffee poured over ice?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by dabeags
Wait a second, that is an option? As In, it isn't just the hot coffee poured over ice?
Came here to ask about this, for years I've been telling AS that offering bottled cold brew as a premium beverage (purchase in Y, free in Y+, F) would be such an improvement/very "west coast". Would love to see it happen.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
I didn't see it poured, but judging by the size of the ice cubes, it's hot coffee poured over ice... Some half and half plus a little sweet makes it more tolerable than hot coffee IMO. Crater Lake and Bailey's makes it magical, but didn't have the stomach for that this morning
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sjbsf
They've had soda water on the planes for years, and "suddenly" they start exploding? What's different?
It could be something as "simple" as something out of calibration re: carbonation pressure at one of the bottling plants in the supply chain.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
JFK-LAX First AS407 on 9/7 had no soda water AKA sparkling water boarded. FA offered tonic water.

FAs were disengaged with pax and rushed through meal service. A retired AA pilot sitting next to me called it the worst first class experience in the industry.

Didn't AS say they were upping their catering quality in F?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Came here to ask about this, for years I've been telling AS that offering bottled cold brew as a premium beverage (purchase in Y, free in Y+, F) would be such an improvement/very "west coast". Would love to see it happen.
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I didn't see it poured, but judging by the size of the ice cubes, it's hot coffee poured over ice... Some half and half plus a little sweet makes it more tolerable than hot coffee IMO. Crater Lake and Bailey's makes it magical, but didn't have the stomach for that this morning
So I talked with the FA yesterday and she said that it would definitely just be hot coffee poured over Ice. Oddly, she says sometimes she uses the leftover coffee bags to make her self a poor mans cold brew on longer flights, but they won't let her serve it to passengers.

Whole heartily agree that if they got the cans of Sump Cold Brew and offered it as a premium beverage it would be amazing.
be_rettSEA and DrAlex like this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
So I talked with the FA yesterday and she said that it would definitely just be hot coffee poured over Ice. Oddly, she says sometimes she uses the leftover coffee bags to make her self a poor mans cold brew on longer flights, but they won't let her serve it to passengers.

Whole heartily agree that if they got the cans of Sump Cold Brew and offered it as a premium beverage it would be amazing.
Can definitely see why they couldn't / shouldn't be serving that to passengers. If others want to join me on my broken-record-requests-for-cold-brew in Alaska Listens and otherwise, feel free! The more comments they receive about it, the more likely they are to consider it, I imagine.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
If others want to join me on my broken-record-requests-for-cold-brew in Alaska Listens and otherwise, feel free! The more comments they receive about it, the more likely they are to consider it, I imagine.
I am IN. Going to be slamming Cold Brew and Bailey's as a PDB on early afternoon flights in no time!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: The thread title has been edited to be more descriptive. It's also a reminder of the topic. Further discussion of coffee drinks should be made in a new/different thread. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It could be something as "simple" as something out of calibration re: carbonation pressure at one of the bottling plants in the supply chain.
Seems more likely that it would be a bad can sealer, or maybe the machine that scores the lids was cutting a little deep. The cans should be able to handle more than 2x the normal pressure, and you'd think they'd notice in the factory if they were overdoing the pressure by that much.

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
If this isn't fixed soon, do the convenience stores in the airports sell club soda water to take on board? I may look around.
That's been one of my pet peeves since the liquid ban. I used to bring a 2 L bottle of seltzer (or 2) for a transcon. I've just recently started seeing small bottles of "Dasani sparkling" in some airport concessions (PDX at least, and I think somewhere else). They're small, maybe 12 oz, but better than nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.