Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Expertflyer availability on JAL but not on alaska website?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska

Probably a noob questions, I don't get on here much. Just checked expertflyer for a JAL flight out of LAX that shows 5 award seats in first class, while on alaska I can only book economy (business and first both listed as unavailable). Is expertflyer even useful in this partner award situations, or only if I'm booking directly with the carrier?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by neurosciguy
Probably a noob questions, I don't get on here much. Just checked expertflyer for a JAL flight out of LAX that shows 5 award seats in first class, while on alaska I can only book economy (business and first both listed as unavailable). Is expertflyer even useful in this partner award situations, or only if I'm booking directly with the carrier?
Airlines don't necessarily release all their award inventory to their partners. BA & QF are a good starting point. If you see availa ility there, you will most often see it on AS too. Additionally, you will find anomalies there too. Sometimes BA and/or QF will show availability and AS wont while AS might have availability and BA & QF wont. If this is a multi-segment itinerary, it may be a married segment issue too.

James
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For at least most FF programs, EF shows (low) award seats available with the carrier's own miles. Alliance and bilateral partners can have more limited availability. JAL probably sets aside some of its premium cabin award seats for participants or elites in its own FF program. Also, EF shows availability on a segment by segment basis which is not necessarily the same as when you search for a through fare with connecting flights (married segment logic).

There should be some help information available online on EF's website that defines terms and classes for the data they do display.

In fact, if you can search availability of JAL award seats online on the AS website for award tickets using AS miles, there's really no reason to try to do this on EF, although EF can sometimes be useful if you can set alerts for the award seats you want or if you can more easily do preliminary searches for potential availability more quickly.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I believe Award Nexus or KVS will show availability. There's a whole thread the OP might want to delve into for such questions.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ing-miles.html

ETA: another factor may be when the OP is searching. Beginning of schedule opens earlier for JL and certain other partners than AS.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: NZ
You can't check JL award availability on ExpertFlyer ... or am I missing something?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:20 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Exclamation

ExpertFlyer does not currently show JAL award inventory, that's why it's not listed in the Award & Upgrade search. You are mistaking some non-award class in the Flight Availability search for an award class.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
ExpertFlyer does not currently show JAL award inventory, that's why it's not listed in the Award & Upgrade search. You are mistaking some non-award class in the Flight Availability search for an award class.
neurosciguy, be aware that letters for fare codes vary from airline to airline. So just because Alaska uses, for example, D as an award fare code, that doesn't mean D is an award fare code at other airlines. At JAL, D is a paid fare code. Similarly, while C is an (upgrade) award fare code with American (AA), at JAL C is a paid fare code.

So there's no universality about fare code letters. You have to know what the letters mean for each specific airline, you can't use what they mean at some other airline as a guide.

And when redeeming awards for a partner airline, and wanting know if that partner has awards available, it's the partner airline's codes that matter, not the redeeming airline's codes.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:16 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: Since JL award availability is not available on Expert Flyer, we'll close the thread.

dayone, AS Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.