Can the seatmap really be this far “off”?

Old Sep 4, 19, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K 2MM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), AS MVP
Can the seatmap really be this far “off”?

So I know that seat maps are not a true indicator of available seats. But I’m looking at SEA-JFK and the seat map has 12 open seats in F. But when doing a fake booking and I try to buy for 3 passengers it is not available but for 2 it is which I assume means all but 2 seats in F are sold out.

Was hoping to score an upgrade on this red eye but may be out of luck.

Old Sep 4, 19, 11:33 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Can it be? Sure. Is it? Probably not.

IME, AS will sometimes severely limit F inventory even when much of it is unsold. I’m not certain why this is, but I suspect that if, for example, there are only 7 seats left on the aircraft, they can’t simultaneously list F7 and Y7. Others may know better. What’s the date and flight?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milypan View Post

IME, AS will sometimes severely limit F inventory even when much of it is unsold. I’m not certain why this is, but I suspect that if, for example, there are only 7 seats left on the aircraft, they can’t simultaneously list F7 and Y7. Others may know better. What’s the date and flight?
AS18 this Friday 9/6 SEA-JFK

Old Sep 5, 19, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
probably more relevant to the Y seat map than F, but it’s still cruise ship season in Seattle ... lots of passengers on group tours disembark on Friday and take redeye flights that evening, and few of them have preassigned seats
Old Sep 5, 19, 2:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by milypan View Post

They can limit F sales to oversell Y seats and have a cushion while not overselling the flight. The flight may still be oversold and volunteers may be requested but SDCs, last minute cancellations and no shows can rectify that. Last minute travelers will be buying at or near fully refundable Main fare buckets at top price. If they didn't oversell Y and only F was available some customers wouldn't pay the difference for F, P or I and last minute P & I may have zero availability meaning only fully refundable F. If they don't sell all the F seats, they will be filled with upgrades leaving empty seats in main that could have been monetized. I have seen flights that only had F for sale during OLCI but that doesn't necessarily mean all F seats are available for purchase. It may be one or two for those very last minute, "I have to get there," passengers.

It is a revenue management strategy to maximize revenue for the flight.

James
Xrayman likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 8:30 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by SF1K View Post
AS18 this Friday 9/6 SEA-JFK
Current availability is F7, P4, I2, Y5.
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Current availability is F7, P4, I2, Y5.
I was just about to post the same thing. The OP is getting tripped up by I2 when trying to do a fake booking for a party of 3.

Why they're trying to book 3 F seats on a flight they're hoping to score an upgrade on is probably another story, but there ya have it.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Sep 5, 19 at 9:18 am Reason: * grammar
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
I was just about to post the same thing. The OP is getting tripped up by I2 when trying to do a fake booking for a party of 3.

Why they're trying to book 3 F seats on a flight they're hoping to score an upgrade on is probably another story, but they're ya have it.
Thanks. Seems like overnight the adjusted the invited buckets.

The “trying to book 3 F seats” was me just starting with booking 1 which showed F available, then 2 which still showed F available and then when I did 3 it did not show that flight available. So I was trying to get an idea of how many F seats where available to see my upgrade chances.
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by SF1K View Post

Thanks. Seems like overnight the adjusted the invited buckets.

The “trying to book 3 F seats” was me just starting with booking 1 which showed F available, then 2 which still showed F available and then when I did 3 it did not show that flight available. So I was trying to get an idea of how many F seats where available to see my upgrade chances.
Gotchaya. I think they might be decent, but a lot can happen in the next 36 hours or so. There's 10 unassigned seats now, which means either 2 seats were sold and assigned overnight, or the processor is working and folks ahead of you in the queue are starting to get upgraded. Good luck.
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
... OP is getting tripped up by I2 when trying to do a fake booking for a party of 3. ...
wouldn’t the system just bump all three up to P/F?
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

wouldn’t the system just bump all three up to P/F?
Yes, in this case it goes from $669 to $999. But we're talking about AS' IT here, so anything could've happened. Who knows.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:17 am

Yes, in this case it goes from $669 to $999. But we're talking about AS' IT here, so anything could've happened. Who knows.
Exactly. Fairly good chance you could buy two at $669, then go back and buy a third at $669 also. YMMV....
Old Sep 7, 19, 6:23 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
They can limit F sales to oversell Y seats and have a cushion while not overselling the flight. The flight may still be oversold and volunteers may be requested but SDCs, last minute cancellations and no shows can rectify that. Last minute travelers will be buying at or near fully refundable Main fare buckets at top price. If they didn't oversell Y and only F was available some customers wouldn't pay the difference for F, P or I and last minute P & I may have zero availability meaning only fully refundable F. If they don't sell all the F seats, they will be filled with upgrades leaving empty seats in main that could have been monetized. I have seen flights that only had F for sale during OLCI but that doesn't necessarily mean all F seats are available for purchase. It may be one or two for those very last minute, "I have to get there," passengers.

It is a revenue management strategy to maximize revenue for the flight.

James

Wow, this seems like such a complex matrix of confusion for s simple layman passenger. Does an individual manually consider this in real-time or does AS IT utilize AI to automatically flex as tickets are purchased?

I am playing checkers when others are playing chess. Thank goodness the AS website is pretty user friendly for my needs.
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
Wow, this seems like such a complex matrix of confusion for s simple layman passenger. Does an individual manually consider this in real-time or does AS IT utilize AI to automatically flex as tickets are purchased?
Pretty simple logic and optimization algorithms! The laymen need not be concerned, they can visit AS and choose what is on offer. Others will delve into it further to optimize opportunity. It is pretty common for airlines to sell more seats than there are physical seats on a plane just as it is common for hotels to sell more rooms than there are physical room at the property.

Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
I am playing checkers when others are playing chess. Thank goodness the AS website is pretty user friendly for my needs.
Checkmate!

James

Search this Thread