Attacking galley containers

Old Sep 4, 19, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Attacking galley containers

I was on AS1402 (A320) last night and about 2/3 of the way down the runway I heard a loud bang. I quickly looked up and saw that one of the metal galley insert containers (stored at/above eye level) had flown out and landed in the aisle next to us in row 2. Then 2 more came out and landed near the feet of the people in row 1. Thankfully the purple plexiglass was there to shield peoples faces and fortunately, no one was injured, but it was a little frightening. How common is it to overlook latching the inserts into place before take-off? Has anyone else ever seen this happen?
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
I was on AS1402 (A320) last night and about 2/3 of the way down the runway I heard a loud bang. I quickly looked up and saw that one of the metal galley insert containers (stored at/above eye level) had flown out and landed in the aisle next to us in row 2. Then 2 more came out and landed near the feet of the people in row 1. Thankfully the purple plexiglass was there to shield peoples faces and fortunately, no one was injured, but it was a little frightening. How common is it to overlook latching the inserts into place before take-off? Has anyone else ever seen this happen?
Yikes - have seen things slip a little at takeoff/landing but nothing to this extent. I'd say this is not common and probably a more serious safety issue. I'd be curious if FAs were tied up with boarding drama or chit-chatting instead of performing their standard safety procedures. I'd definitely write in about this. It's lucky nobody was seriously hurt - those are heavy enough to do some serious damage.
jinglish likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I haven't seen it fly out, but I've once noticed it unlatched during taxi and took a pic, which AS requested when I wrote it up. 737, pre-mixed crews.
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:24 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Sounds like you had an EXCITING flight. I've had similar things happen on a number of flights over the years. However, I've never had things land OUTSIDE of the galley. This is why FA's are supposed to double-check to ensure that everything is stowed and properly locked in the galley. This irritates me because it is an easy task that should be automatically done on EVERY flight.
jinglish, jjmadison and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, AA PPro
It happened on an A320 flight I was on early this year. It was the FA's first time working an Airbus and he just hadn't fastened the latches. I was in 1D and it scared the c*&$ out of me when it hit the floor, although we did chuckle about it afterward.
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:29 pm

Programs: CO Plat
I was once on CO flight in 1B. I can't remember if it was a 737 or 757. As soon as we lifted off I watched a cart in the first class galley filled with china break free, tip aftward, and smash into the galley wall opposite with a loud crash of breaking dishes. The broken dishes dumped out mostly on the galley floor and towards the lav, but several coffee cups bounced and rolled away. One landed between my feet and several rolled right down the aisle with the farthest making it about half way down the plane.

Once airborne, the crew quickly cleaned it up and went about their business.
Old Sep 4, 19, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I haven't seen it fly out, but I've once noticed it unlatched during taxi and took a pic, which AS requested when I wrote it up. 737, pre-mixed crews.
That does sort of read funny - "pre-mixed crews," like a cocktail from a can. Speaking of which, the crew in question was so busy not preparing PDBs or doing anything except for galley chat that they didn't have time to check the latches.
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K
this happened on my AA flight last year. I was on an A319 flying LAX-YYZ. As soon as the place lifted off, one of those containers flew off and landed a few inches from my seatmate in 1C (I was in1A). It was scary af...those things sounded like if they are pretty heavy!
Old Sep 5, 19, 4:20 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE
That happened to me years ago on a NW 320, right before the DL merger. I was in row 2 or 3, on takeoff the cart w/ plates rolled and crashed, taking most of the F meals with it (which might have been merciful given NW catering ex.MSP). The worst part about it was that the FA then told us all that they had mistakenly not catered the flight! She was a real mess, that one, and ended up having another passenger ask for full name, the lead FA had to intervene and send her back to the back galley. Not the worst flight, but one of the more tense ones I can remember :-/
Old Sep 5, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TATLTAIL View Post
That happened to me years ago on a NW 320, right before the DL merger. I was in row 2 or 3, on takeoff the cart w/ plates rolled and crashed, taking most of the F meals with it (which might have been merciful given NW catering ex.MSP). The worst part about it was that the FA then told us all that they had mistakenly not catered the flight! She was a real mess, that one, and ended up having another passenger ask for full name, the lead FA had to intervene and send her back to the back galley. Not the worst flight, but one of the more tense ones I can remember :-/
I may have been on the same flight. One of my experiences was on a NW 320 with an FA who was a real piece of work!
Old Sep 5, 19, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Write to AS and note the fact that this is a safety concern, not groveling for a few miles.

This was an utter failure by FA's for not double-checking that the containers were secured. While it appears that nobody was injured here, that will not always be the case. In addition, if they are skipping one part of the pre-departure checks, what else are they not checking?
AS Flyer, tusphotog and jjmadison like this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
I went ahead and sent AS a note, framing it as a safety concern (which it is) and certainly not asking for miles/compensation (which would seem strange IMO).

If I had to speculate, I would guess that the FA was tired/distracted and simply overlooked it. This was the last SEA-PDX shuttle of the night and I heard the FA's talking about how tired they were and how this day was even longer than yesterday. There were a good 20 minutes sitting at the gate after boarding had completed and prior to pushing back, during which the FAs were all upfront chatting, including an FA deadheading in F.
AS Flyer and tusphotog like this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I went ahead and sent AS a note, framing it as a safety concern (which it is) and certainly not asking for miles/compensation (which would seem strange IMO).

If I had to speculate, I would guess that the FA was tired/distracted and simply overlooked it. This was the last SEA-PDX shuttle of the night and I heard the FA's talking about how tired they were and how this day was even longer than yesterday. There were a good 20 minutes sitting at the gate after boarding had completed and prior to pushing back, during which the FAs were all upfront chatting, including an FA deadheading in F.
This is exactly where things go wrong. "Tired and distracted." Also, pressure not to delay the flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 7:29 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This is exactly where things go wrong. "Tired and distracted." Also, pressure not to delay the flight.
Yep. Hopefully FA sent an ASRS report in about the fatigue.

Here's a line a friend of mine had when she was on reserve. Starts as an AM line, finishes as a PM trip. Day 1 and 2 were fairly easy days with long layovers. Here's where it gets funky and you can imagine how easy it is for fatigue to set in, especially as you flip your body clock on Day 3.

Day 3: SIT-JNU-ANC, 0500a show, 0600a departure, 1100a release. 12 hour layover.
Day 4: ANC-PDX, 2300 show, 0000 departure, 0600a release. 10 hour layover.
Day 4: PDX-LAS-PDX 1600 show, 1700 departure, 2300 release. 12 hour layover.
Day 5: PDX-SEA-SAN-SEA 11a show, 12p departure, 2300 release.
Old Sep 5, 19, 7:58 pm

Programs: AC, Marriott
On a recent ACr flight. None of the carts were secured. PAX held them till we leveled off.

PAX holding with arm and foot

FA holding from jump seat

Search this Thread