FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Great service for through bag check even though no interline agreement (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1985376-great-service-through-bag-check-even-though-no-interline-agreement.html)

felicidad76 Aug 31, 2019 1:26 pm

Great service for through bag check even though no interline agreement

I was pleasentlyy surprised yesterday.
short intro. I am 75 k mvpg and we had two itineraries all in business class.
First was AS from PDX to YVR and from there BA from YVR to LHR and from there On Air Serbia JU to BEG. last two flights were part of same itinerary sold by BA.

AS and BA interline and BA and JU interline. I was really surprised that Alaska could send the begs all the way to BEG. That is a great news. The only thing that happen too all itineraries is alaska one, could not be seen in the app and BA would say no bags can be checked.

But it appears everything works. Did anyone else have similar experience that bags can be check to final destination even though first and last partner do not interline but the one between. Is this the only combo where it would work

Thx

Idaho Territory Aug 31, 2019 2:55 pm

While it’s mixed reporting. I have been able to do AS to DL on separate tickets. I have also been able to do DL to AS on AS ticket stock. (Post breakup). The AS DL mixed ticket was bought through AS.

Tracer_SEA Sep 1, 2019 11:28 am

Originally Posted by felicidad76 (Post 31477314)
I was pleasentlyy surprised yesterday.
short intro. I am 75 k mvpg and we had two itineraries all in business class.
First was AS from PDX to YVR and from there BA from YVR to LHR and from there On Air Serbia JU to BEG. last two flights were part of same itinerary sold by BA.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Was your BEG flight ticketed on a BA codeshare flight number?

Aliquot Sep 1, 2019 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Idaho Territory (Post 31477518)
While it’s mixed reporting. I have been able to do AS to DL on separate tickets. I have also been able to do DL to AS on AS ticket stock. (Post breakup). The AS DL mixed ticket was bought through AS.

This is different, although AS and DL are no longer partners, they still have an interline agreement.

Aliquot Sep 1, 2019 3:08 pm

I have been able to do this too. They way I understand it a ticket can be issued thay includes two airlines that don't interline, if it is ticketed on the stock of an airline that interlines with both of them. As for baggage, I think the interline only covers the hand off. So, you couldn't transfer directly from AS to JU. The trouble is that that checking a bag like this requires manual intervention, so not all airlines or agents will be willing to do this.

Often1 Sep 1, 2019 3:41 pm

The thread title is misleading.

AS has an interline baggage agreement with BA and BA has one with JU.

That is all that is required for the bags to be checked PDX-BEG

On separate tickets it is up to the originating carrier, AS. But, suggesting that the bags could be checked across carriers without an interline agreement is incorrect.

felicidad76 Sep 1, 2019 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA (Post 31479705)
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Was your BEG flight ticketed on a BA codeshare flight number?

No, it was JU387

felicidad76 Sep 1, 2019 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31480391)
The thread title is misleading.

AS has an interline baggage agreement with BA and BA has one with JU.

That is all that is required for the bags to be checked PDX-BEG

On separate tickets it is up to the originating carrier, AS. But, suggesting that the bags could be checked across carriers without an interline agreement is incorrect.

Well, I am not sure. But when many previous times I was trying this, with the same combo, agents would say initial message they see on the computer"cannot check in bags". I fly with this combo twice a year and it's not AS agents don't want to do it, it just could have never been executed until this time. They always told me the bags could only be picked up in London and perform further bag checks over there. Or this time lady was checking something differently. On a top of it, even without priority tags, bags appeared first on a luggage belt in Belgrade.
i am wondering in Air Serbia can do it in reverse direction. This time I cannot test it as I am flying back on Sept 10 when ba is on strike, so my flights are cancelled and I am rerouted with AA to LAX to spend a night there

felicidad76 Sep 1, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Aliquot (Post 31480314)
I have been able to do this too. They way I understand it a ticket can be issued thay includes two airlines that don't interline, if it is ticketed on the stock of an airline that interlines with both of them. As for baggage, I think the interline only covers the hand off. So, you couldn't transfer directly from AS to JU. The trouble is that that checking a bag like this requires manual intervention, so not all airlines or agents will be willing to do this.

So u think, if the same combo was sold on JU ticket stock, but with the same oder of flights, this could not happen?Also, AS agent printed BA boarding pass and gave it to me, in complete different itinerary. Well, technology is working for us...

Aliquot Sep 1, 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by felicidad76 (Post 31480908)
So u think, if the same combo was sold on JU ticket stock, but with the same oder of flights, this could not happen?Also, AS agent printed BA boarding pass and gave it to me, in complete different itinerary. Well, technology is working for us...

No, the baggage interline and the ticket interline are two different things. You can't have a JU ticket with an AS marketed flight, it would have to either be a BA ticket or a BA (or AA) marketed AS flight. JU could check the bags just like AS did it, because of the BA-AS baggage interline, but whether they are willing, or will know how, is a different question.