Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

My AS to Hong Kong Airlines (HX) Connection in LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm not certain where I should post this quite a few questions that would cross with different threads, I hope this is the right place. if not please move!

Very long story short. Priceline/Hong Kong Airlines re-booked me on a flight with 1st leg on being on Alaskan: SFO -> LAX Then Hong Kong Airlines for the rest. LAX -> - HKG 3 day stopover HKG -> MLE & return.

The ticket appears to be booked on Hong Kong Airlines using a 851xxxxxxxxxx as the ticket # (on Priceline all legs show this same Ticket # so I pray it is the same ticket & not multiple).

The layover time I have in LAX (2 hours) is slightly worrying to me due to my questions I'll list below. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Do Alaskan/HK Airlines have an interline baggage agreement at LAX?
A- If not, would I need to leave the terminal, pick up my bags, transfer over to int, & do a full check in? If so, is 2 hours way too tight of a connection?
B- if they do, would I be able to go straight to the int. terminal gate area? Or would I need to check in/pass security again?

2. If due to my small connection time I do not make the LAX -> HKG flight. Would I be covered to at least get on another flight out (even if it takes a day or 2)? I'm hoping that since I'm on 1 ticket I'm protected ?

3. If I do miss my flight who would I need to be working with? HK Airlines, or Priceline??

Thank you for the help!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Hi, first, if your flights are all on one booking then the bags will be transferred from AS to your next flight. Without seeing your booking confirmation(s), it's impossible to say for sure that this is the case. You need to call either airline and ask them what is the minimum connection time at LAX for these two airlines. They will be able to tell you.

I would, however, get in touch with your selling agent (not sure but it looks like Priceline?) and ask them to book you on an earlier flight between SFO and LAX. If your AS flight is even a bit late, you may be unable to make the connection. Make life more relaxing and just get an earlier flight!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kileysmom
Hi, first, if your flights are all on one booking then the bags will be transferred from AS to your next flight. Without seeing your booking confirmation(s), it's impossible to say for sure that this is the case. You need to call either airline and ask them what is the minimum connection time at LAX for these two airlines. They will be able to tell you.

I would, however, get in touch with your selling agent (not sure but it looks like Priceline?) and ask them to book you on an earlier flight between SFO and LAX. If your AS flight is even a bit late, you may be unable to make the connection. Make life more relaxing and just get an earlier flight!
I tried calling HKA, the agent wouldn't give me any information on a minimum connection time Only stated that "it should be enough" ... I'll definitely give it a shot with Alaskan.

I tried reaching out to Priceline a couple days ago requesting an earlier flight, they said it'll cost me a $150 change fee per passenger as I agreed to the initial change already. The frustrating part to me is that A) my initial reservation was SFO->HKG direct. B) a 1 way flight SFO-> Lax is less than $100.

Weirdly enough though I got a random call one night from a Priceline agent saying, as it was an involuntary change I can try pleading with Hong Kong Airlines. She said I wouldn't be charged the $150 change fee if HKA agrees to the change, but as Hong Kong Airlines wasn't open at that time I'd have to call the next day. I did so, and the new agent said I have to pay a change fee

Last edited by mendezka; Aug 30, 2019 at 8:25 pm Reason: Information
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
presuming AS will indeed check your luggage to HKG, once you’re at LAX you can remain airside from your Alaska Airlines arrival in Terminal 6 to your Hong Kong Airlines departure in the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) ... yes it’s a long-ish walk, but can be done in ~30 min if you’re reasonably mobile

all that said, $150 change fee on an international itinerary is quite reasonable
mendezka and footypjman like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Hong Kong Airlines is discontinuing SFO-HKG in early October I believe. According to Expert Flyer, AS and HX have an interline baggage agreement - your bag should be checked through. Here is a good guide in getting from T6 to TBIT (airside). MCT for LAX domestic to international is 90 minutes. Barring any delays from SFO, 2 hours is enough time. You can also same day change starting at OLCI window for $25 if you want extra time or it looks like the flight will be delayed (weather).
mendezka and JDiver like this.

Last edited by DrAlex; Aug 30, 2019 at 11:24 pm
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Hong Kong Airlines is discontinuing SFO-HKG in early October I believe. According to Expert Flyer, AS and HX have an interline baggage agreement - your bag should be checked through. Here is a good guide in getting from T6 to TBIT (airside). MCT for LAX domestic to international is 90 minutes. Barring any delays from SFO, 2 hours is enough time. You can also same day change day-of for $25 if it looks like the flight will be delayed.
I think AS SDC is $50 for non-status passengers, but this is a good idea ... the “change to an earlier flight” option shows up on the app and the website during on-line check-in, which opens 24 hours before scheduled departure
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
I think AS SDC is $50 for non-status passengers, but this is a good idea ... the “change to an earlier flight” option shows up on the app and the website during on-line check-in, which opens 24 hours before scheduled departure
$25 intra-California 😎
Flying for Fun and JDiver like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Sounds like by above posts AS has an interline agreement but you could try calling them if you have your AS record locator and see if they can confirm it.

If your bags are checked through, you can remain airside at LAX and connect to TBIT. It's a little bit hard to find, the under ground tunnels but you can make your way there in about 20 minutes of casual walking. Follow the signs.

If you have to collect & re-check your bags...
you'll probably need at least 30min to deplane & collect baggage.
At that point you'll have to hussle down to TBIT outside with everyone waiting for pick-up and aimlessly walking around the sidewalk. 15min if you can make a good pace.
I don't know what the cutoff for checking bags with HX is... but at that point you're probably pretty tight on time depending on the line. If you can make that baggage check-in, you should have enough time to re-clear security.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is not a difficult connection at all. It's more like 15 minutes walk airside from T6 to TBIT. (I make it from T7 in 17 minutes or less, but I'm a fast walker.)
NoLaGent, Legend717 and mendezka like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Minimum connect time AS-HX at LAX is 1:30. I think HX uses TBIT, and AS uses T6. You can walk there without going through security again. Go from T6, take the tunnel to T4 (don't get out at T5 or baggage claim), then walk from T4 to TBIT.

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.10 1.30 2.00 2.00
OFFLINE 1.10 1.30 2.00 2.00
** OR * ARE ALL
**-HX DI 1.30
AS-** DI SUP FLT 4000 - 4799 - ALL
AS-** DI SUP FLT 6000 - 6999 - ALL
AS-** DI 1.45 TRM ** - 1
AS-** DI 1.45 TRM ** - 2
AS-** DI 1.45 TRM ** - 3

AS most definitely has an interline agreement with HX for baggage:

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AC AF AM AS AV AY AZ BA BR CA CI CM CX
CZ DE DL EI EK FI FJ FZ HA HR HU HX IB IG
JJ JL KE KL KS LA LH LO LP LR LY MF MH MT
MU MW NH NZ OO OZ PR PS PZ QF QR SA SK SQ
SU SV SY S4 TA TK TN T0 UA VA VS VW VX WP
WS XL 3M 4C 4M 7H 9K
mendezka likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. Stress levels have dropped significantly reading all this. Hoping no hiccups come & the trip can remain as planned.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:36 pm

You might want to show up earlier to SFO. From my experience the gate agents there may not know everything but can be quite helpful, so you may have to help them check your bag through (interline). Never did it myself there but had to prod an agent to short-check my bag (she said it was impossible, then a fellow agent told her how to do it).
mendezka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.