Inflight Entertainment - Hawaii Flights

Old Aug 30, 19, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Inflight Entertainment - Hawaii Flights

Does AS still offer the devices (tablets ?) to view movies on their first class flights to Hawaii. They seem to make no mention of it and just talk about watching movies on your own tablet using GoGo. I don't want to bring my tablet if I don't have to and the instructions on using GoGo are complicated at best. As of 6 months ago AS handed out portable movie viewers. Do they still do this?
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:22 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
Yes, tablets are still offered. However, my experience has been that they are often undercharged, even ex-SEA, and that the charging capability of the USB ports in the seats is not adequate to last an entire flight.

I would bring your own device and watch the IFE offered on there rather than on the Alaska provided tablet.
Old Aug 30, 19, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
If one had an ac to USB, plus micro USB cable, they could provide additional juice for the charge.

That being said, I'm disappointed AS has basically removed these from all flights aside from some coast-to-coast transcons and Hawaii flights.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
That being said, I'm disappointed AS has basically removed these from all flights aside from some coast-to-coast transcons and Hawaii flights.
Especially now that the new 73G/A320 F seats have built in tablet holders in the tray table. Wish they’d bring tablets back on midcons.
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
Does AS still offer the devices (tablets ?) to view movies on their first class flights to Hawaii. They seem to make no mention of it and just talk about watching movies on your own tablet using GoGo. I don't want to bring my tablet if I don't have to and the instructions on using GoGo are complicated at best. As of 6 months ago AS handed out portable movie viewers. Do they still do this?
Hawai’i flights still have the IFE tablets offered in F, and the cabin crew have USB cords enabling these to be charged (at least on the Hawai’i - Mainland flights, they’re likely necessary if the device has been used Mainland - Hawai’i). They want the cords back as well as the tablets. (My last experience with this was KOA-SMF 29 Aug 2019).
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, Sixt Plat, National Exec
IFE tablets were offered in F to my partner and I SFO-HNL & HNL-SFO just over a week ago. Although they handed out USB charging cords, headphones, etc, neither of us needed to charge ours'. Same was true on OAK-LIH & LIH-SJC in May, IFE tablets lasted the whole flight.
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Are the same movies available on the IFE tablets as those available using our own tablets and connecting to GoGo ?
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Are the same movies available on the IFE tablets as those available using our own tablets and connecting to GoGo ?
The tablets have a more limited selection, however, they've got a signal to connect through (iirc) an IE window. On my last couple of flights, the signal was spotty. I don't know if it was device-specific, or everyone was subject to delays / buffering, etc.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
The tablets have a more limited selection, however, they've got a signal to connect through (iirc) an IE window. On my last couple of flights, the signal was spotty. I don't know if it was device-specific, or everyone was subject to delays / buffering, etc.
Agreed. Personal device selection is far better, especially for documentaries, which I enjoy.
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Can we even get a signal from GoGo on a flight to Hawaii? Don't want to be carrying tablets if we can't get much of a signal or any signal at all.
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Can we even get a signal from GoGo on a flight to Hawaii? Don't want to be carrying tablets if we can't get much of a signal or any signal at all.
The signal is to/from the plane's onboard server with the IFE, not to the ground.
jjmadison, LIH Prem and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 8:13 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
I did not take one last week ORD-ANC direct. They were offered along with the charging cable, but my Fire 8 can access a much larger library of content onboard than is offered on the players. And, I think the picture and sound quality are better on my own device. YMMV.
Old Sep 1, 19, 5:59 pm

there's some new selections only available on the tablets.

But the gogo inflight has hundreds of older movies. I get the tablet especially at the beginning of the month. Then I just end up using my iPad for the better selection of older movies.

The micro usb charging cables they give out seem to work fine for their tablets. As others have noted, they are often uncharged or close to it on Hawaii - mainland flights. In that case, the cables work fine. What sometimes doesn't work is the usb charging port at your seat, so try another port or plug into your own charger if you have that problem.

Jim: You connect to the gogo wifi without internet over the water. If you are on an iOS device, you have to hit cancel a couple of times until you get a popup to use the connection without internet. Sometimes it's finicky to get that option. Lately it's been working better than previously.

If you intend to use your own device, make sure to download the gogo entertainment app at home or at the gate before you board your flight. (from the app store or google play store.)

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 1, 19 at 6:13 pm
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Flew SMF-OGG today and use my tablet connecting with GoGo. Everything worked just fine.
LIH Prem and Bellerina like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: