Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SFO's Busiest Runway (28L) Closed 9/7-27/2019: What You Need to Know

SFO's Busiest Runway (28L) Closed 9/7-27/2019: What You Need to Know

Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Lots of chatter over in the UA forum thread about this topic and interestingly, UA pulled an AS and bussed people from SFO to SJC this am to operate a SLC flight. The 1st day has not gone well for UA, but I haven't looked at AS' performance today.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by RetiredSFOATC
Basically when gatehold is in effect, the controllers in the tower create a *virtual* cue for departures so that the aircraft await their turn while still in the gate, hopefully better managing the cues of aircraft at the runway(s). So you might not be stuck in line on the taxiway, but you might instead be stuck sitting on the aircraft at the gate... I suppose that's more of a semantic difference, if the issue is being strapped into your seat and not going anywhere.
I think I experienced that last year. AS pushed back, then went back to the gate and opened the door during the wait. UA pushed back and sat. Either of those was better than being strapped to the seat. Pax were free to use their mobile devices and the lav. On UA (OO), the single FA did an outstanding job of passing out water, managing the cabin, and resolving an unexpected breastmilk emergency.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Lots of chatter over in the UA forum thread about this topic and interestingly, UA pulled an AS and bussed people from SFO to SJC this am to operate a SLC flight. The 1st day has not gone well for UA, but I haven't looked at AS' performance today.
When I had glanced at the monitor earliers in the afternoon it looked like a number of the OO/QX ERJ-175 flights were operating ex-SJC. That said, overall AS seemed to be experiencing less disruption than UA, although many of the evening arrivals from the midwest and east coast are still delayed because of ATC.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
We'll, I'm smack dab right in the middle of it right now. My 9 pm AS flight was delayed 60+ minutes, so I switched to the 8 pm that's currently showing 8:30 (and I'm on board). I kept an eye on the flight board today and it was better than a classic SFO winter weather day. FR24 says 54 cancelled flights today (6 yesterday!?) With ~250 delayed flights thus far.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
This'll be a real problem in the not-that-uncommon situation where NW winds are strong enough to direct all traffic to the 28's. There's going to be a line 20 deep for departure on 28R as they await breaks in arrivals and 4-5 hour delays will result.
Looked like they were pretty close to this scenario all day today. Could have been worse.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
FlightAware currently says inbound flights to SFO are delayed at origin an average of five hours
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missamo80
FlightAware currently says inbound flights to SFO are delayed at origin an average of five hours
Any longer and they can just divert to LAX and drive you.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
In ABQ right now and they just announced the SFO SkyWest flight is now an OAK flight with a bus to SFO. Better solution than the two United ABQ-SFO flights here, one of which is delayed over four hours and the other of which is canceled.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Sep 8, 2019 at 2:10 pm
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
In ABQ right now and they just announced the SFO SkyWest flight is now an OAK flight with a bus to SFO. Better solution than the two United ABQ-SFO flights here, one of which is delayed over four hours and the other of which is canceled.
How soon before departure did they announce this ? We are on AS 762 (SEA-> SFO) on 9/12 and need to get to the Bay area before 10 AM. Considering making an alternate reservation for SEA -> OAK (last minute fares are $300+ each).
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by missamo80
That's kind of misleading. That would be for a new flight plan filed. Airlines have canceled or reduced arrivals to reduce this delay. Most of the delays are nowhere close to this number.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by channa
That's kind of misleading. That would be for a new flight plan filed. Airlines have canceled or reduced arrivals to reduce this delay. Most of the delays are nowhere close to this number.
Summary of yesterday's GDPs:
0531 PDT: Scope CONUS+BC/AB; Arr time 0700-2159 PDT; Max/avg delay 343/212 min.
1818 PDT revision: Arr time -0059 PDT; Max/avg delay 1448/300 min.
2252 PDT: GDP canceled.

So flights not yet airborne at 1818 PDT were subject to an average delay of 300 min. Airline cancellations after that time would've shortened the delay. And after 2252 PDT, any SFO-bound flight could take off unrestricted.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVP
I was on 1940 (SFO-LAX) on Sunday.

Supposed to depart at 2100hrs, received a delay notification of 3hrs 40 minutes with a new departure of 2440!!!

And I still didn't get an upgrade.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:53 am

Not unexpected but based off convo with GAs in seattle yesterday, this might be stressing AS operations a bit. They told me basically all flights yesterday to bay area (all 3 airports) were sold out, most oversold. My flight had a massive list of people on standby as well. They were offering $650 to be bumped until 10am this morning. Probably should have taken it in retrospect.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by barabuski
Not unexpected but based off convo with GAs in seattle yesterday, this might be stressing AS operations a bit. They told me basically all flights yesterday to bay area (all 3 airports) were sold out, most oversold. My flight had a massive list of people on standby as well. They were offering $650 to be bumped until 10am this morning. Probably should have taken it in retrospect.
The evening flights to both JFK and EWR were also delayed out of SFO last night - the flight to JFK by 3+ hours. These delays are going to cascade through the system as those planes need to turn right around and come back from the east coast...
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by barabuski
damn, that could be really lucrative ... just take rolling VDBs for a day and hang out in the new Lounge in the North Satellite
be_rettSEA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.