Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Major Midcon/Transcon Schedule Reduction (Winter 2020)

Old Aug 28, 19, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP

From bay area, looks like SFO-PHL/RDU/BNA/BWI/ABQ/MCI are all cut starting early Nov. SJC-DAL is also gone.

Haven't had time to look at what other cuts from LAX/SAN/SEA/PDX.
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by flyingstudent View Post
From bay area, looks like SFO-PHL/RDU/BNA/BWI/ABQ/MCI are all cut starting early Nov. SJC-DAL is also gone.

Haven't had time to look at what other cuts from LAX/SAN/SEA/PDX.
SFO gets FLL back.

LAX loses PHL.

SAN loses ELP, ABQ, MCI, MSP, OMA.
Old Aug 28, 19, 4:07 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post

SFO gets FLL back.

...not fully. It is just a red eye operating for the end of year holidays and spring break weeks with suspensions immediately following each.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:29 am

Programs: AS MVP
SAN-STL is gone. Iíve been rebooked through SEA for a December flight.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:31 am

Looks like this is occpmpined by a major intra-west coast increase, and added frequency on SAN-BOS, SAN-MCO, and SFO-ORD.
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Aliquot View Post
Looks like this is occpmpined by a major intra-west coast increase, and added frequency on SAN-BOS, SAN-MCO, and SFO-ORD.
They said they are adding a second daily SFO-ORD flight March 19, but they already have two per day currently. The only thing I could think is that they are dropping to once daily over the winter for a shorter period of time than last year.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
SAN-MCO not soon enough for me - traveling in mid-November, lack of Tuesday, Wednesday nonstop will send me to AA.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
WOW - AS really wants to try and keep those SFO based fliers......
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:44 am

Programs: DL PM + Reserve Card
Sad because this will send to me to UA for SFO-BNA, but always keep low expectations for the SFO-central time zone schedule.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If AS is to compete nationally it either has to make the investments to up its game or the "network" (such as it is) will continue to shrink. Where there are HVC markets, the legacies will expand to a more premium TCON as they have for SFO-LAX/NYC and and that will give even more of a shove.
BearX220 and tuolumne like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:17 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If AS is to compete nationally it either has to make the investments to up its game or the "network" (such as it is) will continue to shrink. Where there are HVC markets, the legacies will expand to a more premium TCON as they have for SFO-LAX/NYC and and that will give even more of a shove.
As has happened many, many times with airline mergers/acquisitions, it is more likely that more cuts will be coming to the acquired carrier's home base. California flights and adds would be concentrated to better serve people in Alaska and the PNW where AS are stronger. The short lived days of being relevant to California customers going beyond the West Coast and Hawaii seem pretty dead at this point. Their stock price is still 40% below the time of the acquisition with a looming downturn in the economy, so they are highly unlikely to continue to fly loss making routes out of California which have dragged down their overall profitability. Management has already stated they will focus on the PNW and it seems obvious now that serving customers originating there are a much higher priority than California based customers.
SFOPeter likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
As has happened many, many times with airline mergers/acquisitions, it is more likely that more cuts will be coming to the acquired carrier's home base. California flights and adds would be concentrated to better serve people in Alaska and the PNW where AS are stronger. The short lived days of being relevant to California customers going beyond the West Coast and Hawaii seem pretty dead at this point. Their stock price is still 40% below the time of the acquisition with a looming downturn in the economy, so they are highly unlikely to continue to fly loss making routes out of California which have dragged down their overall profitability. Management has already stated they will focus on the PNW and it seems obvious now that serving customers originating there are a much higher priority than California based customers.
Exactly. AS isn't looking to or can't compete with the legacies. So, it won't.
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
As someone who primarily flies SFO-WAS, I'm sad to see this, but can't say I'm surprised. I'm a big proponent of AS for this route, to the point my friends and business colleagues often say "do you work for Alaska?" I've gotten a number of them to try AS on these routes, but all except one person (7 of 8) has chosen to go back to United. When flying in F, they tell me AS is significantly underperforming on both hard and soft product. Add to this United's better schedule (last year AS cut the SFO-WAS red eye, and now is cutting the BWI route) and I'm not left with a leg to stand on.

In sum, Alaska is making it increasingly difficult for SFO-based flyers to stay loyal.
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by flyingstudent View Post
From bay area, looks like SFO-PHL/RDU/BNA/BWI/ABQ/MCI are all cut starting early Nov.
Only ABQ and MCI look to be permanent. PHL/RDU/BNA/BWI all show as returning in March or April.
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:47 pm

So PHL-LAX/SFO are cut yet again (even if only seasonal).

Search this Thread