Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Major Midcon/Transcon Schedule Reduction (Winter 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major Midcon/Transcon Schedule Reduction (Winter 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by northwesterner
Not much really in the way of LAX cuts here (other than the massively underperforming BUR-SJC - which shouldn't have survived this long) ... but Alaska has to figure out what it wants to be in California.

I'm a Los Angeles based flyer - and nearly all of my annual travel is personal. I'm born and raised in SEA, so I make ~6 annual R/Ts back to the PNW to visit friends and family. Because this makes up the bulk of my repetitive trips - I have stayed loyal to AS for the sake of the BUR-SEA flights, which are well timed, and often price competitive, and due my work location in far north LA county, much easier to get to on a Friday after work than the slog to LAX.

But post VX merger, we've seen little growth East/West out of LAX. And the AS yield management department prices their connecting flights as A+B=C rather than the price the origin / destination pair, so this means that connecting through SFO to go east can be outrageously expensive compared to the competition.

At this point, given the competitive environment, AS has to be a network carrier. They can't go back to being a niche, west coast carrier with some minimal point to point service to other destinations. The competition is going to eat them alive.

I'm just not sure how I can justify keeping my flying with AS for 2020. I'll most likely requal as MVP for next year. What I value of status is not the redemptions ... but the status perks - priority boarding, the *rare* upgrade, free exit row. But I may have to take a hard look at moving my flying to Delta next year as I have a couple of domestic trips that AS won't work for, at all, next year and DL would, easily.

I know I'm not the only one thinking this way, yet my BUR-SEA flights are constantly packed with elites (MVP Golds, etc), so the network is working for someone.
My husband and I are in the same boat. He was actually going to make 75K with a business trip to PHL in November...but that route has now been cut. We're reevaluating our AS flying for the rest of the year now. We are regular BUR-PDX flyers, but the times for those flights this fall are absolutely awful. We were sticking with AS despite the terrible times so that he could make 75K, but now we're probably going to switch to the Southwest flights because they are better timed.

We've decided to shift away from chasing status entirely. We'll buy premium class if we want it (we've had a number of flights this year where as 2 Golds we didn't even clear into premium), and book based on price & convenience instead of loyalty to AS. We've turned ourselves into pretzels over the years trying to get on AS flights from LAX/BUR that were less convenient than AA or DL flights, and we've concluded there's really no point to it.
BearX220 and CREN like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Buster
We've decided to shift away from chasing status entirely.
Which in the LA basin makes total sense. When you have a wide variety of choice, why not select the best option for each trip? Different carriers have different strengths and weaknesses so it is most logical to pick the one that best serves your needs for each trip.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Which in the LA basin makes total sense. When you have a wide variety of choice, why not select the best option for each trip? Different carriers have different strengths and weaknesses so it is most logical to pick the one that best serves your needs for each trip.
Except sometimes keeping some sort of status somewhere makes sense. Of course, status only means something if you're patronizing the airline in which you've got status. It is still good to know that I've got free changes, and if I can't go somewhere, I don't have to worry about losing my dough. I'd probably go through at least a couple hundred $ of award change fees per year. I'll probably do what it takes to keep MVPG this year, but 75K is most probably out of the question.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jjmadison

Even this is the case, it doesn’t fix the problem with AS not being able to fill planes on premium routes. If Alaska was hitting 40% on the SFO-PHL route, a fleet of new MAX planes would not have stopped this route from being cut. Same with SFO-RDU. As a former investor, I think it’s clear this is not a problem with fleet capacity. It’s a product failure.
The challenge with the West Coast only based airline with no East Coast or mid-con hub, is the limited traffic to these smaller cities going transcon (PHL isn't small, but it's smaller than many in terms of traffic).

So this could arguably be a fleet issue. It's not something the MAX can address, but maybe some A220's could do the trick if AS didn't have this fixation for Boeing planes.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by channa

So this could arguably be a fleet issue. It's not something the MAX can address, but maybe some A220's could do the trick if AS didn't have this fixation for Boeing planes.
...or they could bring the rest of the Q400s back and a offer convenient multi-stop milk run SFO-ABQ-MCI-BNA-RDU-PHL
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
As long as they only have business in a handful of other cities in their own time zone. Otherwise:

Originally Posted by jjmadison
The last round of cuts already pushed me to fly American and United more than I have in years. Now I'm even more concerned that staying loyal to AS was a mistake.
Top destinations from SFO: SEA, LAX, ORD, JFK, EWR, LAS, SAN, DEN, BOS, PDX.
Top destinations from SAN: SFO, DEN, SEA, PHX, SJC, LAS. SMF, DFW, ORD, OAK.

This shows that traffic is predominantly N-S. Yes, there will some travelers pushed to other carriers with the cancellation of ABQ or MCI, but more people would be better served by strengthening schedules in the largest markets. There are some conspicuous holes, particularly with DEN and AA's hubs. These will need to be filled if there is going to be increased O&D relevance.

Although mid-cons from SEA and PDX are some of the highest yielding routes in AS' network, they found that the strategy does not immediately translate to markets with lower share. You need to be highly relevant and beneficial to the majority of traffic (N-S, key business centers) before expanding into the smaller midcon markets.

Originally Posted by Aliquot
Flying to RDM and BOI may not be as exciting as major east coast cities, but they are both growing markets, so there obviously people who need to fly there.
The recent changes are also about increasing relevance in BOI, GEG, and RDM - historically strong AS markets that have been somewhat ignored.
Aliquot likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
Top destinations from SFO: SEA, LAX, ORD, JFK, EWR, LAS, SAN, DEN, BOS, PDX.
It is not just about putting a check mark to say you fly there. You have to have a relevant product and schedule. One flight a day to ORD/BOS is just not going to be attractive to people on either end. AS management touted the acquisition as a way to broaden their relevance from California when in actuality they are just retreating back to where they were flying before and are less relevant than even VX was in BOS/ORD/DEN--and arguably even EWR/JFK where they are by far the weakest in terms of both schedule and product.
BearX220 and jjmadison like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:12 am

It is not just about putting a check mark to say you fly there. You have to have a relevant product and schedule. One flight a day to ORD/BOS is just not going to be attractive to people on either end. AS management touted the acquisition as a way to broaden their relevance from California when in actuality they are just retreating back to where they were flying before and are less relevant than even VX was in BOS/ORD/DEN--and arguably even EWR/JFK where they are by far the weakest in terms of both schedule and product.
I think a key point of my entire post was that it's not about putting a check mark to say you fly there... You start with the biggest markets and build up share with increased relevance before moving on to smaller, once-daily "check mark" destinations, e.g. it is infinitely more valuable to fly SFO/SJC-SAN/SNA 6-7x daily, rather than a 1x daily flight to MCI, etc.

There's also a fallacy that AS is a network carrier and needs to have a leading mid-con/trans-con schedule. AS is clear that it is positioning itself as a hybrid/value airline and that means it is not going to compete with UA on SFO-BOS frequency or with AA/UA on schedules into ORD. AS (and B6) have proven that there is space in the market for someone between AA/DL/UA and NK/F9.
bmvaughn, jjmadison and DrAlex like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:53 am

I think a key point of my entire post was that it's not about putting a check mark to say you fly there... You start with the biggest markets and build up share with increased relevance before moving on to smaller, once-daily "check mark" destinations, e.g. it is infinitely more valuable to fly SFO/SJC-SAN/SNA 6-7x daily, rather than a 1x daily flight to MCI, etc.

There's also a fallacy that AS is a network carrier and needs to have a leading mid-con/trans-con schedule. AS is clear that it is positioning itself as a hybrid/value airline and that means it is not going to compete with UA on SFO-BOS frequency or with AA/UA on schedules into ORD. AS (and B6) have proven that there is space in the market for someone between AA/DL/UA and NK/F9.
That would be relevant if that is what AS were actually doing. AS has cut service from SFO/LAX to BOS/JFK/IAD/ORD and from SFO-DEN from the levels that even VX had--so if you are talking about the biggest markets, they have just shrunk their presence rather than even attempted to be more relevant/compete. So sure they can offer plenty of frequency with $39 fares from SFO-LAX but most people don't care one way or the other about the product on a 50 minute flight. AS is clearly creating a network that is relevant to people in SEA but is not at all invested in even the top 10 places people in SFO want to go and that commitment gets even weaker with each passing month.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
That would be relevant if that is what AS were actually doing. AS has cut service from SFO/LAX to BOS/JFK/IAD/ORD and from SFO-DEN from the levels that even VX had--so if you are talking about the biggest markets, they have just shrunk their presence rather than even attempted to be more relevant/compete. So sure they can offer plenty of frequency with $39 fares from SFO-LAX but most people don't care one way or the other about the product on a 50 minute flight. AS is clearly creating a network that is relevant to people in SEA but is not at all invested in even the top 10 places people in SFO want to go and that commitment gets even weaker with each passing month.
Well said. When AS cut the SFO-IAD legacy VX red-eye, two CEO friends called it quits with AS and each moved their company's business to UA. As much as I personally hate red eyes, I understand why some FFers swear by them when covering both coasts. Cutting SFO-DEN really hurt me. I've still stuck around because AS kept 3-4 flights a day on SFO-WAS (when you count BWI), but now that they are dropping to as few as 2 a day (ex. Nov 12)--leaving some days without a SFO-WAS departure later than 955am (which seems nuts for most business travelers that need flexibility)--our company is going to be forced to start taking United.

For a while now, it's felt like AS was intentionally trying to kill the BWI route, scheduling the departure within 10 min of the IAD departure. Why not spread out departures so you actually have a range of departure time options? I'm sure there's some reason, but I don't get it. *end rant*

Last edited by jjmadison; Aug 30, 2019 at 11:46 am
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:18 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by tom911
I did check SFO-BWI, a route I frequently fly, and it returns March 19 minus Saturday service. SAN-BWI is not back until May 21.
Sigh, but not surprising. I am at 100% for upgrades in 2019, and in 3 years, I've never been in the back between Baltimore and San Diego.

I have been flying these routes a lot. When going west, I've am usually flying BWI-SAN-SFO or BWI-SFO, depending on the time I need to be in SF. The delays at LAX often result in misconnections, and the timing through SEA is generally terrible.

I see a return to United flying in my future. :-(
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:33 am

There are a heck of a lot more people that fly SFO-LAX than to any of the other destinations. AS (or AA or DL) could cut lower-yielding capacity on that route, but it would make them less relevant to the business travelers that fly on other routes.

While there is one less flight to JFK from SFO/LAX than pre-merger, there is more capacity to EWR. Plus, SJC has a JFK and EWR flight. Similarly, the frequency reduction to IAD is offset by additional (albeit seasonal) flights to BWI. Yes, it would be nice if AS had a better schedule to BOS, ORD and DEN. However, at the end of the day, they need to work with limited gates in ORD (with few near-term prospects for feasible expansion), a tough yield environment and limited gates in BOS, and a blood bath in DEN. Unlike other mid-con destinations, it's not competitive to start DEN with 1, 2 or even 3 flights. Is it worth running a competitive schedule and loosing millions to make FlyerTalkers happy?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by eap
Sigh, but not surprising. I am at 100% for upgrades in 2019, and in 3 years, I've never been in the back between Baltimore and San Diego.
You're doing slightly better than me. I'm at 97% on 32 flights, only missing out on OAK-LIH back in March. Will finish this weekend at the 66K mark so slowly making progress to requalifying. Not sure I'll fly 75K in 2020, though, and might end up just making Gold at 40K and use my AA/UA lifetime status for other domestic flights, though bringing in 2,000 miles on AA/UA transcons will hurt compared to 11,000 miles at Alaska. Still frustrated that AS only has one flight a day to a couple east coast destinations and that I'm stuck with a late afternoon/early evening flight home when I'd prefer to fly in the morning, but the trade-off has been the accrued miles. Won't do red-eyes at all which also eliminates some cities entirely.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
You are right -- when the AA reciprocity deal died, it took AS off most peoples' radar screens outside the west coast. The customer in the Midwest or East who flew 70% AA, 30% AS and compiled AS miles now flies 100% AA, or something else, and 0% AS. The problem goes deeper than feeding AS flights; the change reduces the chance that most people not in SEA/SFO/PDX/LAX/Alaska who have FF programs in mind will even consider AS. And if those people are not FF-driven, but purely price or schedule shoppers? Beyond its narrow Pacific catchment AS is never the schedule leader and rarely the price leader.

But I think there is no chance of restoring a robust partnership with a legacy; the last, best, and most obvious move is a reciprocal codeshare/FF deal with JetBlue, but that still won't get anyone from Baton Rouge to Ketchikan.
Agree! With the AA/AS relationship seemingly dwindling, a B6/AS reciprocal codeshare would make a lot of sense. It wouldn't give either carrier a comprehensive network, but would certainly give B6 customers more west coast connections and AS customers more east coast connections. There would be the issue of overlap on transcon routes to BOS and JFK, but it's not like AS had a competitive premium product on these routes in the first place. Under such a scenario, it wouldn't surprise me to see AS simply redeploy its own metal to other short or mid-range flights from the PNW and just leave B6 to fly with these routes with Mint-equipped aircraft. Might be a pipe dream on my part, but doesn't seem like AS has a lot of other options for domestic partnerships either.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
There are a heck of a lot more people that fly SFO-LAX than to any of the other destinations. AS (or AA or DL) could cut lower-yielding capacity on that route, but it would make them less relevant to the business travelers that fly on other routes.

While there is one less flight to JFK from SFO/LAX than pre-merger, there is more capacity to EWR. Plus, SJC has a JFK and EWR flight. Similarly, the frequency reduction to IAD is offset by additional (albeit seasonal) flights to BWI. Yes, it would be nice if AS had a better schedule to BOS, ORD and DEN. However, at the end of the day, they need to work with limited gates in ORD (with few near-term prospects for feasible expansion), a tough yield environment and limited gates in BOS, and a blood bath in DEN. Unlike other mid-con destinations, it's not competitive to start DEN with 1, 2 or even 3 flights. Is it worth running a competitive schedule and loosing millions to make FlyerTalkers happy?
Not true for IAD. With the new cuts, AS is down to 1x daily on some days. Ex. Tues starting in Nov.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.