Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Major Midcon/Transcon Schedule Reduction (Winter 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major Midcon/Transcon Schedule Reduction (Winter 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PDXpress
SEA-ATL is down to once a day from Jan 6 - Mar 18. The killer is that it's a 6:10am departure from Seattle. I don't know of any other once a day flights that don't allow for any connecting traffic.
FLL. See rant above.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:38 am

The evolving route map for AS at SFO is looking more and more like that of their SAN mini hub circa 6-7 years ago. West Coast north-south flights, plus key leisure destinations (Mexico, Hawaii, Orlando), and then transcons to a few key east coast business destinations. Largely everything else is flyover. Yes, AS still has Ord, Aus, Dal and Msy for midcons ex-Sfo, but otherwise that’s the way it’s looking. AS has never stayed in routes that lose money for long, which may well be a key to their success.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
The evolving route map for AS at SFO is looking more and more like that of their SAN mini hub circa 6-7 years ago. West Coast north-south flights, plus key leisure destinations (Mexico, Hawaii, Orlando), and then transcons to a few key east coast business destinations. Largely everything else is flyover. Yes, AS still has Ord, Aus, Dal and Msy for midcons ex-Sfo, but otherwise that’s the way it’s looking. AS has never stayed in routes that lose money for long, which may well be a key to their success.
Pretty much.

http://investor.alaskaair.com/static...e-8a59d35c7206

Mainline recorded pretax profit of $378 million in the third quarter of 2019, compared to $314 million in the third quarter of 2018. The $64 million increase in pretax profit was primarily driven by a $123 million increase in Passenger revenues and a $27 million decrease in economic fuel cost, partially offset by a $100 million increase in non-fuel operating expenses.

The increase in Mainline passenger revenue for the third quarter of 2019 was primarily driven by the impact of our revenue initiatives and synergies, as well as continued improvement in our trans-con markets as compared to the prior year.
But I thought AS was DOOOOOOMED without lie-flats. DOOOOOOOMED, I tell you!
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
But I thought AS was DOOOOOOMED without lie-flats. DOOOOOOOMED, I tell you!
No one said that AS was doomed without lieflats. There were several threads where numerous people pointed out that the AS transcon and midcon strategy was failing due to a myriad of product, pricing, schedule, and branding issues. In response, there were numerous people continually stating things like "AS revenue management knows what they're doing", "lieflats don't matter", etc.

Now the results are in. The AS transcon and midcon strategy has failed and they are cancelling a bunch of these routes and changing their strategy to "West Coast focus". It's kind of hard to call that a business win. This was pure and simple an execution failure. B6 executed the same strategy going East to West and is doing great on similar transposed routes.
sfozrhfco and PaperGlider like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
B6 executed the same strategy going East to West and is doing great on similar transposed routes.
And B6 is adding even more capacity on these routes as AS pulls back making it even more difficult as time goes by for AS on these particular routes. The question was never if AS was going to be successful in their core markets. They were profitable and successful in those. The question was always whether or not they could succeed in markets which would require a different strategy than they were used to and it is clear they are moving back to their comfort zone. It seems like the right strategy to improve profitability in the short term....long term is still an open question.
SFOPeter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.