Gold PC upgrade window…

Old Aug 27, 19, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
Gold PC upgrade window…

On the website, it is always 72 hrs before before departure to upgrade to the premium class. But in the past, at least at the beginning of June and prior, I can select a PC seat on the 3 calendar day prior to departure, immediately after 12am pacific time. So if my flight is Friday night 7pm, I can select a PC seat Tuesday 3am eastern time.

Not a big deal though.. but just my observation
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:09 am

Programs: AS MVP
Yes, this is true for all elite levels.
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
I'm an MVP and tried to move to premium Monday morning for my Wednesday flight to San Diego (AS1978). Couldn't do it for free until 1148am, at least in the app. Didn't try the website.
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
I'm an MVP and tried to move to premium Monday morning for my Wednesday flight to San Diego (AS1978). Couldn't do it for free until 1148am, at least in the app. Didn't try the website.
I have done it several times this year, including yesteday... It always opens right at 12:00am PST.
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
I've found sometimes the app is slow on recognizing the free PC upgrade window. When that happens, I just go to the website, and am able to move for free.
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
I have done it several times this year, including yesteday... It always opens right at 12:00am PST.
thanks for the datapoint... the website & map still try to charge me for PC seat..
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:18 am

Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
I’ve always seen this as an IT bug that lets savvy users bypass the official policy. Interestingly, it has not worked for any of my recent AS flight’s via app or website.

Perhaps they are patching it! It would be nice to not have to be available at midnight to save a good PE seat and avoid it being sniped by others.
Old Aug 27, 19, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Not necessary for 75K. You can select Premium for no additional fees at booking.

James
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by damnyourefine View Post
I’ve always seen this as an IT bug that lets savvy users bypass the official policy. Interestingly, it has not worked for any of my recent AS flight’s via app or website.

Perhaps they are patching it! It would be nice to not have to be available at midnight to save a good PE seat and avoid it being sniped by others.
I think it worked for me in June, but for four flights in August I had to wait til T-48 instead of midnight on the day in which T-48 occurs. I tried both app and website. I didn't fly in July, but it looks like they "fixed" it, or at least made it comply with what it says on the website.
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP/Gold
My last three flights as a gold I have not been able to move myself up at 12:01 three days before or even 48 or 24 hour mark. Oddly in all three cases I got an F upgrade when I checked in so never tried Premium at the last minute. But as with the OP I have always been able to upgrade myself at the T-3 days at 12:01am, or at the very least T-3 and now not at all. What has changed? The policy on the website seems to say it’s still a perk.
Old Sep 7, 19, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, *wood LT Gold
They seem to have finally fixed the glitch that let elites move into PC a few hours early. But now they are charging elites to move within PC after having been upgraded to PC. Way to go AS IT!!!
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Sep 8, 19, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
They seem to have finally fixed the glitch that let elites move into PC a few hours early. But now they are charging elites to move within PC after having been upgraded to PC. Way to go AS IT!!!
I noticed this too. Presumably they'd do it for you if you called in but still pretty obnoxious. Pick right the first time, I guess.
Old Sep 8, 19, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
I've previously seen that happen intermittently - not enough to have seen a pattern to it.
Old Sep 8, 19, 12:02 pm

Programs: 30+ years of continous AS MVP/MVPG, Hertz Gold Plus 5*, Marriott Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
My MVPG window is broken. I only seem to get PC upgrades. Never to F. Well... maybe about 15% of my flights end up in F if I don’t pay for F.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
A semi-related question: does AS simply block most of the PC cabin at booking? Every week I fly PDX-EWR and PC is full except for some middles at booking. Then on day of there will be a bunch of upgrades to PC in aisles and windows.

Search this Thread