FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Gold PC upgrade window… (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1984667-gold-pc-upgrade-window.html)

lonelygod Aug 27, 2019 1:18 am

Gold PC upgrade window…

On the website, it is always 72 hrs before before departure to upgrade to the premium class. But in the past, at least at the beginning of June and prior, I can select a PC seat on the 3 calendar day prior to departure, immediately after 12am pacific time. So if my flight is Friday night 7pm, I can select a PC seat Tuesday 3am eastern time.

Not a big deal though.. but just my observation :)

RAD_PDX Aug 27, 2019 8:09 am

Yes, this is true for all elite levels.

James Moore Aug 27, 2019 8:49 am

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX (Post 31461817)

I'm an MVP and tried to move to premium Monday morning for my Wednesday flight to San Diego (AS1978). Couldn't do it for free until 1148am, at least in the app. Didn't try the website.

RAD_PDX Aug 27, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by James Moore (Post 31461973)
I'm an MVP and tried to move to premium Monday morning for my Wednesday flight to San Diego (AS1978). Couldn't do it for free until 1148am, at least in the app. Didn't try the website.

I have done it several times this year, including yesteday... It always opens right at 12:00am PST.

LWkitty Aug 27, 2019 8:57 am

Originally Posted by James Moore (Post 31461973)

I've found sometimes the app is slow on recognizing the free PC upgrade window. When that happens, I just go to the website, and am able to move for free.

lonelygod Aug 27, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX (Post 31461987)
I have done it several times this year, including yesteday... It always opens right at 12:00am PST.

thanks for the datapoint... the website & map still try to charge me for PC seat..

anteater Aug 27, 2019 11:18 am

I’ve always seen this as an IT bug that lets savvy users bypass the official policy. Interestingly, it has not worked for any of my recent AS flight’s via app or website.

Perhaps they are patching it! It would be nice to not have to be available at midnight to save a good PE seat and avoid it being sniped by others.

Flying for Fun Aug 27, 2019 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX (Post 31461817)

Not necessary for 75K. You can select Premium for no additional fees at booking. :)

James

chrisl137 Aug 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by damnyourefine (Post 31462576)
I’ve always seen this as an IT bug that lets savvy users bypass the official policy. Interestingly, it has not worked for any of my recent AS flight’s via app or website.

Perhaps they are patching it! It would be nice to not have to be available at midnight to save a good PE seat and avoid it being sniped by others.

I think it worked for me in June, but for four flights in August I had to wait til T-48 instead of midnight on the day in which T-48 occurs. I tried both app and website. I didn't fly in July, but it looks like they "fixed" it, or at least made it comply with what it says on the website.

Waitlisted Aug 27, 2019 9:45 pm

My last three flights as a gold I have not been able to move myself up at 12:01 three days before or even 48 or 24 hour mark. Oddly in all three cases I got an F upgrade when I checked in so never tried Premium at the last minute. But as with the OP I have always been able to upgrade myself at the T-3 days at 12:01am, or at the very least T-3 and now not at all. What has changed? The policy on the website seems to say it’s still a perk.

Tracer_SEA Sep 7, 2019 10:14 pm

They seem to have finally fixed the glitch that let elites move into PC a few hours early. But now they are charging elites to move within PC after having been upgraded to PC. Way to go AS IT!!!

Eurynom0s Sep 8, 2019 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA (Post 31502467)
They seem to have finally fixed the glitch that let elites move into PC a few hours early. But now they are charging elites to move within PC after having been upgraded to PC. Way to go AS IT!!!

I noticed this too. Presumably they'd do it for you if you called in but still pretty obnoxious. Pick right the first time, I guess.

chrisl137 Sep 8, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA (Post 31502467)

I've previously seen that happen intermittently - not enough to have seen a pattern to it.

sea_jeff Sep 8, 2019 12:02 pm

My MVPG window is broken. I only seem to get PC upgrades. Never to F. Well... maybe about 15% of my flights end up in F if I don’t pay for F.

Hartmann Sep 9, 2019 6:32 am

A semi-related question: does AS simply block most of the PC cabin at booking? Every week I fly PDX-EWR and PC is full except for some middles at booking. Then on day of there will be a bunch of upgrades to PC in aisles and windows.