Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska sold upgrades flight before clearing waitlist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska sold upgrades flight before clearing waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by afCAMEO
Unfortunately airlines are in business to make money, so if they can sell those seats for money it helps the bottom line. Is that what should happen? Maybe not, but that's reality.
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Because they make more money from having loyal elites than they do for selling the seats for nickels and dimes at check-in... as I just pointed out. And they keep loyal elites by upgrading them.
Not if the walk up traffic pays more money.

That customer is more valuable. They are willing to pay for F
moondog and jmw like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Yes, walk up customers would be more valuable if they're willing to pay $250 on top of their purchased airfare to upgrade - but most won't. Especially not for short flights.

Airlines would not offer complimentary upgrades to elites unless they thought on the grand scale that it was more profitable to sell every F seat for cash at the gate. Plain and simple economics.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Where, in the OP's example scenario, is someone able to buy an upgrade before the gate is staffed? Are people prompted during OLCI? I have never seen it and if I did see it, I sure would raise a question about it.

I don't know if this still is the case but many years ago on UA, elites were in an uproar because OLCI was offering cheap ($99) upgrades to people and it was specifically excluding elites from the offers with the assumption that they were already on the "complimentary" list so they wouldn't want to pay!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:54 pm

Sigh ... I’d just appreciate clear rules of the game. AS can do whatever it wants with upgrades as far as I’m concerned, but I’d appreciate honesty and integrity of the process so I can make rational decisions about future reservations. It sounds from some of these posts that integrity of the process has gone away, which is sad, and a poor reflection on the current AS executive team.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Where, in the OP's example scenario, is someone able to buy an upgrade before the gate is staffed? Are people prompted during OLCI? I have never seen it and if I did see it, I sure would raise a question about it.
Yes, there are prompts during OLCI. Sometimes elites are charged too (reports here are that one can get it refunded after the fact if you contact CS) -- other times it is free for elites. Either way, anyone can jump the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.