Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is there an Alaska vs. Delta fare war going on in the Pacific Northwest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Looking up PDX-SEA flights on the AS site and noticed the saver fares were only $40 one-way this Fall....not sure who is matching who, but DL is the same price. Upon closer review, it appears that all of the Pacific Northwest routes where AS and DL compete are for sale for $49 (SEA-RDM, SEA-PSC, SEA-EUG, SEA-MFR, etc.).....the AS website shows PDX-SEA on "sale" for $59 but of course prices out lower. This might be a good time to purchase if you frequent these short-haul routes which are typically more expensive. As a side note, I noticed SEA-RDM is on the E175--for those that have flown that flight, is this typically a slam dunk upgrade (worth paying an extra $15 or so for main cabin)?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The cheapest DL fares are probably Basic Economy.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The cheapest DL fares are probably Basic Economy.
True, but even Basic Economy rarely gets down to $40 on PDX-SEA.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: HH Silver
SEA-LAS and SEA-SNA are pretty reasonable at $59 and $69 also. They have been that way for a while. When I see rates like this it makes me wish I were retired. Maybe I will take a short trip to PDX on my days off if I can find a reasonably priced hotel.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
PHX-SEA is $59 Saver, $79 Main, $289 First in late October. There is even U space if you are 75K and want to pay $337 for an immediate upgrade out of Main and forego the 75% COS and lounge access. lol Here is an example for October 24th.

James
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by tatterdema
When I see rates like this it makes me wish I were retired.
When I wake up every morning I wish I was retired
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’ve bought SEA-PHX for under $250 OW in F on DL recently. This or the reverse was available at similar prices until EOS.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’ve bought SEA-PHX for under $250 OW in F on DL recently. This or the reverse was available at similar prices until EOS.
My husband got F for $189 each way on AS for SEA-PHX for the first week in September a couple of months back. Haven't checked rates recently, though.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I'm coming from the DL side of this, but I've definitely noticed DL and AS matching their lowest fares (usually BE on the DL side) with AS on short-haul routes out of SEA. I'm less familiar with how AS structures their fares, but it definitely means for some cheap tickets for things like SEA-GEG/RDM/MFR at times.

Frequently, though, I've found that DL doesn't match the frequency AS provides on a lot of these routes - it's impossible to return from RDM or MFR on a late Sunday night without flying AS for example, and that AS flight is priced significantly higher in both points and dollars.

It's unclear to me whether it's sustainable to have so many daily departures to tertiary airports like this, but while it lasts I'll happily buy $49 OW tickets to Bend
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Just bought a PHX-SEA r/t in F on DL for $444 during the peak Christmas/New Years holidays. Honestly, coach was $270 (regular Economy , not Basic), plus bag fees. I haven't flown DL in years, but at this price for the holidays, I couldn't resist! If AS had similar fares, I would have purchased on AS.

And, yes, there is a fare war going on in the PNW. In SEA and PDX, Spirit and Frontier also factor in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.