Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“V/S” on gate-checked bags

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
“V/S” on gate-checked bags

boarding AS2 SEA-DCA this afternoon and noticed every gate-checked bag that pax had left in the jetway had “V/S AS 2” on the tag

in the old days, V/S meant “Voluntary Separation” — which iirc was sort of a “get-out-of-jail-free” card for the airline, in that if the bag was delayed, (1) the passenger had waived their right to file a claim AND (2) that the airline was not responsible for delivery

just curious what the context is today ...
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AFAIK its the same.

V/S prints when tags are printed under T-40 (or T-50/60 at some stations).
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
I guess it could technically get them out of liability, but since you're checking at the gate, your bags are very very likely to make the plane. The V/S at the ticket counter is for when there might not be enough time to get your bags to the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.