FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   JFK Connections AS to BA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1984130-jfk-connections-ba.html)

kileysmom Aug 22, 2019 6:56 pm

JFK Connections AS to BA

Hi, starting to do a work around for a flight to London on 10/9....currently booked into LHR but nervous about the BA pilots striking and my arrival dates are pretty important....don't much care if I have to sit in London on the way back! Bring it on! Particularly with the EC compensation! So am looking to go into London City which will mean flying from SEA to JFK and making the connection to the BA flight to LCY. It appears a fairly easy jaunt but I don't arrive at JFK until 1550 and the BA flt leaves at 1825 so less than 2.5 hours gate to gate. I'll be hand luggage only but will likely need mobility services to make it from the one gate to the next. For whatever it might be worth I'll be in F from SEA and J from JFK (no F into LCY). Anyone have a thought on whether this is a ridiculously short connection? I'm thinking it's all in one terminal, I should have TSA Pre check and I have GE but don't think that will help at all. All thoughts much appreciated!

dieselbear Aug 22, 2019 8:45 pm

Not short at all. If you are on the same ticket (i.e., you don't have a separate BA ticket from your AS ticket) you can connect in less than an hour. JFK terminal 7 is not large, even with mobility access. And with inbound AS F and outbound BA J you can enjoy both the new Alaska Lounge and the BA Terraces Lounge!

kileysmom Aug 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Many thanks! That is a relief! This is a weekend turnaround so not wanting problems....It's been years since I've gone through JFK but the pictures of T7 look like it is a huge improvement over my last experience...can't remember which terminal even. I won't be on the same ticket as the JFK/LCY is an award and the SEA/JFK is out of my pocket with this workaround. Still, it sounds like it is going to be okay....just not so much time in the lounges ;-(

jrl767 Aug 23, 2019 2:22 pm

am I missing something? avoiding LHR due to "BA pilots striking" is all well and good, but how does taking BA into LCY avoid the strike issues? unless of course this is only a strike by BA wide-body crew members ...

jsguyrus Aug 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Even though you are flying into LCY, the flight is operated by BA, not BA City Flyer which is not effected by the strike. Sad to say it is almost certain your London flight will be cancelled.

dieselbear Aug 23, 2019 6:02 pm

The September strike is only for LHR and LGW flights. Not LCY nor STN.
See the Wiki at the top of this thread:
Relevant BA Thread

dieselbear Aug 23, 2019 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom (Post 31446239)
Many thanks! Still, it sounds like it is going to be okay....just not so much time in the lounges ;-(

If you have to choose one because of time, enjoy the Terraces lounge. Besides the London Terraces, the JFK branch is the nicest I've experienced. The new Alaska Lounge is pleasant. But besides being spacious there isn't much to distinguish it from the other locations.

kileysmom Aug 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Thanks all. I took the decision and rebooked from JFK on the off chance that the strike affecting only LHR and LGW is true and thinking maybe a much better chance at a re-book out of JFK than LAX (had managed to get a mileage seat on the 380...have been watching for a first seat for a couple of years but there will be another).
Most important I get to London on the 10th so the whole reason for this trip is safe! Thanks again...now I'm in a day room at the Crowne Plazz all day on the 9th so will head over to T7 and try out both lounges! It will help to make up for going through JFK. Thanks again!